+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012: Canadian RA/TA Experience (Rejection cases)

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Is there any case where anyone got rejected even after getting the ITA because of having only RA/TA experience (NOC 4012) while studying in Canada? I have searched the forum where people are saying RA/TA experience in Canada on study permit will not be counted as work experience but I haven't found a single case of rejection due to this. Whereas, I have found some cases where people successfully got the PR in this scenario, though the point given for work experience was zero (0).

Is there anyone who knows such kind of rejection cases?

ai1080

Aug 6, 2018
Is there any case where anyone got rejected even after getting the ITA because of having only RA/TA experience (NOC 4012) while studying in Canada? I have searched the forum where people are saying RA/TA experience in Canada on study permit will not be counted as work experience but I haven't found a single case of rejection due to this. Whereas, I have found some cases where people successfully got the PR in this scenario, though the point given for work experience was zero (0).

Is there anyone who knows such kind of rejection cases?
I have the same question. I have 449 points without any work experience. But I'm not sure that I can apply for the express entry because of the 1 year work experience clause. I am hoping that the RA/TA work while doing the 2 year masters degree can count towards the work experience requirement, even if it does not contribute any points, since I seem to have enough points even without the work experience part .

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I have the same question. I have 449 points without any work experience. But I'm not sure that I can apply for the express entry because of the 1 year work experience clause. I am hoping that the RA/TA work while doing the 2 year masters degree can count towards the work experience requirement, even if it does not contribute any points, since I seem to have enough points even without the work experience part .
No worries. Go ahead. I applied and I am a PR now.
Good luck!

ai1080

Aug 6, 2018
No worries. Go ahead. I applied and I am a PR now.
Good luck!
Thanks,Pritam. What are the documents required with regard to the TA/RA experience ? For TA, I think I have the appointment letters. However, I'm not sure what to show for RA. Did you have to show number of hours ?

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks,Pritam. What are the documents required with regard to the TA/RA experience ? For TA, I think I have the appointment letters. However, I'm not sure what to show for RA. Did you have to show number of hours ?
I showed plenty of docs just to be on the safe side. You probably don’t need all of them.

For RA and TA:
1. A letter from my supervisor mentioning job responsibilities, weekly hour, job duration and salary. This is the MOST important supporting doc.
For RA:
1. Appointment letter
2. A letter from HR
3. A few pay stubs
For TA:
1. Appointment letter
2. A letter from finance department
3. Student account balance (TA payment as tuition credit)

ai1080

Aug 6, 2018
I showed plenty of docs just to be on the safe side. You probably don’t need all of them.

For RA and TA:
1. A letter from my supervisor mentioning job responsibilities, weekly hour, job duration and salary. This is the MOST important supporting doc.
For RA:
1. Appointment letter
2. A letter from HR
3. A few pay stubs
For TA:
1. Appointment letter
2. A letter from finance department
3. Student account balance (TA payment as tuition credit)
Thanks for that ! I was told by my department that while the document for TA would contain the number of hours (which is very small, totalling 365 hours over 3 years), the letter that they can prepare for RA would not contain the number of hours since RA cannot technically be assigned number of hours. Would that be alright ? What did your letter from HR contain ? I also think letter from supervisor in my case would not be ideal, because I had worked with one supervisor for only one year. ( i had worked with 2 supervisors during the program )

Another issue is that although I seem to have 449 on CRS score, I checked today that my score based on the 6 selection factors for Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry is about 63, which is lower than the 67 cut-off, when I have not shown any work experience.

I am wondering how it is possible to apply Express entry in that case.

Thanks,
Arun

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks for that ! I was told by my department that while the document for TA would contain the number of hours (which is very small, totalling 365 hours over 3 years), the letter that they can prepare for RA would not contain the number of hours since RA cannot technically be assigned number of hours. Would that be alright ? What did your letter from HR contain ? I also think letter from supervisor in my case would not be ideal, because I had worked with one supervisor for only one year. ( i had worked with 2 supervisors during the program )

Another issue is that although I seem to have 449 on CRS score, I checked today that my score based on the 6 selection factors for Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry is about 63, which is lower than the 67 cut-off, when I have not shown any work experience.

I am wondering how it is possible to apply Express entry in that case.

Thanks,
Arun
Your work experience will be counted in tge selection factor.
My TA hour was also small but it doesn’t matter if your total hour (both TA and RA) is more than the 1560 hours/year. A letter mentioning your RA hours is required. Somehow you have to convince your supervisor or management. I would divide my salary with the minimum wage to determine the hours I worked.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Congrats u got your PR but it’s quite weird. I mean as far as I know working while studying is not counted towards work experience requirement. Becuz work in Canada has to be obtained on work permit not on study permit

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Congrats u got your PR but it’s quite weird. I mean as far as I know working while studying is not counted towards work experience requirement. Becuz work in Canada has to be obtained on work permit not on study permit
Canadian experience on work permit is required for CEC.
RA/TA while studying in Canada is counted as a foreign experience (FSWP).

Reactions: tobs

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Since u got your PR so I won’t argue anymore but it’s just not clear that if they have to give pr irrespective of the program under which ita is received why have they mentioned work under study permit is not considered

Reactions: Don'tknow91

gadhvibhargav

Feb 10, 2016
Since u got your PR so I won’t argue anymore but it’s just not clear that if they have to give pr irrespective of the program under which ita is received why have they mentioned work under study permit is not considered
Any other work done under study permit is different than RA/TA done under it. I've been doing RA-ship for 2 and a half years now and at times I feel like I'm working more than a normal person works here with a work permit. Many RAs even spend restless nights in their labs doing the research. Plus, Canada needs more masters and Ph.D. graduates to stay and work for the country rather than pushing them to cross the border.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
They may!
Anyways it’s a good thing that I know now that if person gets ita under FSW while he is working in Canadian uni as RA/TA even though he has a study permit he can still get PR.

I myself currently working as a lab technologist in a college and selected my NOC as a TA and got my med passed so far. Hopefully I will get thru

Reactions: mandy15leo