+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 2173 Software Engineer

Mandzukic

Jul 13, 2018
Hi,

I got my ITA last week. My primary NOC is 2173 Software Engineer. Is NOC 2173 a regulated code? I am not being asked any license in documents checklist. Do you see any issues in using NOC 2173?

I don't have any province nomination

keeratsingh

Jul 3, 2017
New Delhi
Hi,

I got my ITA last week. My primary NOC is 2173 Software Engineer. Is NOC 2173 a regulated code? I am not being asked any license in documents checklist. Do you see any issues in using NOC 2173?

I don't have any province nomination
I don't think this is regulated there....have seen too many 2173s here but none talking about being regulated...

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
273 is fine... 2174 is regulated

Reactions: bmr

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
regulated mean... its scrutinized a lot if you put in yours...its for data science etc... and data science has higher regard here... there is something called shred or tax exemption if companies are working for data science etc etc

tanush14

Jun 13, 2018
2173 & 2174 are not regulated NOC and doesn’t require any licensing or any additional documents while submitting EE profile..

Reactions: arthurbr

Mandzukic

Jul 13, 2018
2173 & 2174 are not regulated NOC and doesn’t require any licensing or any additional documents while submitting EE profile..
My assumption was 2173 is regulated for Professional Engineering title and not for software engineer. I did google search and one website https://www.cicic.ca says 2173 Software engineer is regulated. So I am confused again. Not sure how accurate this website is.

https://www.cicic.ca/935/perform_an_advanced_search_in_the_directory_of_occupational_profiles.canada?search=computer software engineer

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
My assumption was 2173 is regulated for Professional Engineering title and not for software engineer. I did google search and one website https://www.cicic.ca says 2173 Software engineer is regulated. So I am confused again. Not sure how accurate this website is.

https://www.cicic.ca/935/perform_an_advanced_search_in_the_directory_of_occupational_profiles.canada?search=computer software engineer
According to the link you provided, there are two types of regulation:

Exclusive right to practise: A profession whose members are the only ones who can engage in the profession’s activities and use the title allowed them by law. The law defines, among other things, the professional activities strictly reserved for the members of each regulatory body.

Reserved title: A profession where only members of a regulatory body can make use of specific titles and abbreviations allowed them by law. Individuals who are not members of that regulatory body may practise the occupation, but they may not use any of these titles or allow others to believe (by using a similar title or abbreviation) they are members of a regulatory body.

2173 - engineer is a reserved title, but not exclusive right to practise. It means you may execute those tasks, but not call youself "engineer" unless you are registered.

Mandzukic

Jul 13, 2018
According to the link you provided, there are two types of regulation:

Exclusive right to practise: A profession whose members are the only ones who can engage in the profession’s activities and use the title allowed them by law. The law defines, among other things, the professional activities strictly reserved for the members of each regulatory body.

Reserved title: A profession where only members of a regulatory body can make use of specific titles and abbreviations allowed them by law. Individuals who are not members of that regulatory body may practise the occupation, but they may not use any of these titles or allow others to believe (by using a similar title or abbreviation) they are members of a regulatory body.

2173 - engineer is a reserved title, but not exclusive right to practise. It means you may execute those tasks, but not call youself "engineer" unless you are registered.
Thanks a lot. I am confused whether the below job duties should be 2173 or 2174. Appreciate any inputs here

Role and Responsibilities as Software Engineer (21 months):
1. Designed, developed, tested and integrated software components for various Cloud projects
2. Handled production, post-production & test environment issues.
3. Reviewed & updated all project related documentation.

Role and Responsibilities as Senior Software Engineer (19 months):
1. Effectively played role of a scrum master leading teams of 3-5 members in implementation of
various new features for a XXX project using Agile development methodologies like
Scrum.
2. Analyzed requirements from User Stories and designed, developed, tested, implemented and
maintained required solutions.
3. Adhered to high quality development standards while delivering solutions on time.
Tools and Technologies:
1. Java XXXXX,etc
2. Web Services, frameworks, etc
3. Eclipse, XXXX, etc
4. SQL, XXX, etc

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
Thanks a lot. I am confused whether the below job duties should be 2173 or 2174. Appreciate any inputs here

Role and Responsibilities as Software Engineer (21 months):
1. Designed, developed, tested and integrated software components for various Cloud projects
2. Handled production, post-production & test environment issues.
3. Reviewed & updated all project related documentation.

Role and Responsibilities as Senior Software Engineer (19 months):
1. Effectively played role of a scrum master leading teams of 3-5 members in implementation of
various new features for a XXX project using Agile development methodologies like
Scrum.
2. Analyzed requirements from User Stories and designed, developed, tested, implemented and
maintained required solutions.
3. Adhered to high quality development standards while delivering solutions on time.
Tools and Technologies:
1. Java XXXXX,etc
2. Web Services, frameworks, etc
3. Eclipse, XXXX, etc
4. SQL, XXX, etc
My duties are quite similar to yours (except by the scrum master role), and I successfully put myself under 2174.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
I created express entry profile with 2173 for these duties. Will it be a problem now to change to 2174 in PR application
2174 is data science ...

Mandzukic

Jul 13, 2018
2174 is data science ...
2174 covers all the below job titles and their duties. I feel my duties intersect between software developer(2174) and software engineer(2173). Not sure whether it is ok to change to 2174 in pr application ( I have entered 2173 in express entry )

Example Titles
  • computer programmer
  • scientific programmer
  • software programmer
  • multimedia developer
  • programmer analyst
  • systems programmer
  • computer game developer
  • business application programmer
  • Web programmer
  • application programmer
  • interactive media developer