+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 2173 software engineer- education relevance

jbusnain

Oct 5, 2018
Dear @legalfalcon,
My work experience is exactly NOC 2173 software engineer, however, my Bachelor is in electrical and electronics engineering. I am worried that work experience will be rejected because NOC 2173 job requirement states that "A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required."

I would be grateful if you advise on the matter.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Dear @legalfalcon,
My work experience is exactly NOC 2173 software engineer, however, my Bachelor is in electrical and electronics engineering. I am worried that work experience will be rejected because NOC 2173 job requirement states that "A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required."

There is absolutely no relevance. You have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: jbusnain

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Dear @legalfalcon,

No need to worry. You do not have to meet the educational requirements, just the job duties. I had this detailed discussion on one of the threads a few months ago. If you search it you should be able to find it.

However, the answer is below

Minimum work experience requirement
The applicant must have accumulated at least one year of continuous full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) paid work experience in the occupation identified in their application for permanent residence as their primary occupation. In calculating this period of work experience, the occupation must be listed in skill type 0 (Managerial occupations), skill level A (Professional occupations) or skill level B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 [R75(2)(a)].

The applicant’s skilled work experience must also

• have occurred within the ten years preceding the date of their application for permanent residence; and
  • not be in an occupation that has been designated as a restricted occupation.
Note: At the time of publication, no occupations were designated as restricted.

In addition, during that period of employment, the applicant must have

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties, of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(c)].
Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbusnain

jbusnain

Oct 5, 2018
No need to worry. You do not have to meet the educational requirements, just the job duties. I had this detailed discussion on one of the threads a few months ago. If you search it you should be able to find it.

The applicant must have accumulated at least one year of continuous full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) paid work experience in the occupation identified in their application for permanent residence as their primary occupation. In calculating this period of work experience, the occupation must be listed in skill type 0 (Managerial occupations), skill level A (Professional occupations) or skill level B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 [R75(2)(a)].

• have occurred within the ten years preceding the date of their application for permanent residence; and

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties, of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(c)].
Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.
Thank you !!

bmr

Jan 30, 2015
Dear @legalfalcon,

Dont worry , ur work experience is matters to match with NOC 2173... thats where u show NOC defined task items in the work experience letter ..

Reactions: Fabby12

swarnendu

Sep 24, 2019

Hi @legalalcon,
As per the new NOC update in 2019...for applying NOC 2173 ..is the Electronics engineers allowed?/Eligible?

Fabby12

Sep 21, 2016
Hi, I have been caught up in similar situation. I hope there is no change of scenario since 2018.However i can see one thing in clarity ..Exclusions.
Can i consider my self for 2173 as my all duties are related to software while my degree is Electrical Engineering.

2173 – Software engineers and designers
Employment requirements

• A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
Exclusions
  • Computer and information systems managers (0213)
  • Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) (2147)
  • Computer programmers and interactive media developers (2174)
  • Database analysts and data administrators (2172)
  • Electrical and electronics engineers (2133)
  • Information systems analysts and consultants (2171)
  • Information systems testing technicians (2283)
  • Web designers and developers (2175)

npeiob

Jan 25, 2021
Hi, I have been caught up in similar situation. I hope there is no change of scenario since 2018.However i can see one thing in clarity ..Exclusions.
Can i consider my self for 2173 as my all duties are related to software while my degree is Electrical Engineering.

2173 – Software engineers and designers
Employment requirements

• A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
Exclusions
  • Computer and information systems managers (0213)
  • Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) (2147)
  • Computer programmers and interactive media developers (2174)
  • Database analysts and data administrators (2172)
  • Electrical and electronics engineers (2133)
  • Information systems analysts and consultants (2171)
  • Information systems testing technicians (2283)
  • Web designers and developers (2175)
Could you give me the link from where you found it?