23-04-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
Dear all,

I am having one question about what can be factors distinguishes between the above NOCs:
1241 (Administrative Assistant, NOC B) and 1452 (Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks, NOC C)

I was working in a publishing company as an assistant who is giving an direct support to the senior management and a general manager of the company, assisting with major projects related to sales increase, and acting as an initiate contact to local publishers and our overseas head office related to rights clearance issue. I found my most suitable NOC as 1241 when I searched the main job description from NOC lists. But at the same time, 1452's job description looks pretty much similar to 1241, but 1452 falls under NOC C.

Wondering if IRCC also considers the educational requirements and/or average salary into consideration?
Considering my educational requirements (required a minimum of a bachelor degree) and the salary fits to 1241, which average salaries was $33,000 in 2011 and mine was about the same.

Does anyone go under similar situation and have gotten their PR under 1241 successfully?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ksavier

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
Dear all,

I am having one question about what can be factors distinguishes between the above NOCs:
1241 (Administrative Assistant, NOC B) and 1452 (Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks, NOC C)

I was working in a publishing company as an assistant who is giving an direct support to the senior management and a general manager of the company, assisting with major projects related to sales increase, and acting as an initiate contact to local publishers and our overseas head office related to rights clearance issue. I found my most suitable NOC as 1241 when I searched the main job description from NOC lists. But at the same time, 1452's job description looks pretty much similar to 1241, but 1452 falls under NOC C.

Wondering if IRCC also considers the educational requirements and/or average salary into consideration?
Considering my educational requirements (required a minimum of a bachelor degree) and the salary fits to 1241, which average salaries was $33,000 in 2011 and mine was about the same.

Does anyone go under similar situation and have gotten their PR under 1241 successfully?

I was in a similar situation for so long with no concrete answer to my questions. So what I did was I made sure my job descriptions matched closely with the NOC B code I used as opposed to the NOC C that somewhat matched as well. I sent in my application with hopes that I won't get rejected for that, and today I am a PR.

What I'm trying to say is, if you think your JD matches 70-80% with NOC 1241, go with it and hope/pray for the best. Good luck :)

Reactions: Krystine

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Dear all,

Hi, I have the exact same problem I'm about to submit my application with NOC 1241 although my job title was customs clerk which falls into NOC 1452. I drafted a letter detailing all of my duties which I believe are much more complex than those of 1452, but out of the 10 main duties of 1241 I only did 4 of them, plus a couple of the optional "May compile data, may supervise and train...". My boss, the general manager, signed it anyway for me but I still have doubts and it won't let me sleep :confused: I worked for a trucking company. Do you have any updates on your application? maybe we can help each other :)

Krystine

Dec 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-04-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
Hi, I have the exact same problem I'm about to submit my application with NOC 1241 although my job title was customs clerk which falls into NOC 1452. I drafted a letter detailing all of my duties which I believe are much more complex than those of 1452, but out of the 10 main duties of 1241 I only did 4 of them, plus a couple of the optional "May compile data, may supervise and train...". My boss, the general manager, signed it anyway for me but I still have doubts and it won't let me sleep :confused: I worked for a trucking company. Do you have any updates on your application? maybe we can help each other :)
Hi there Ksavier,

I recently received my reference letter as NOC 1241 from my employer and I am about to submit my application documents on next Monday. (I am still on before AOR stage)
Finger crossed for our cases! I will try to update whatever news coming up! :)

Reactions: Ksavier

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Hi there Ksavier,

I recently received my reference letter as NOC 1241 from my employer and I am about to submit my application documents on next Monday. (I am still on before AOR stage)
Let us know of your progress, I will update myself when I have news

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Hi there Ksavier,

Hello Krystine, any news on your application? I passed medicals today 9 days later of AOR. I submitted papers using NOC 1241 background check starting today. Hopefully everything will be fine!

Wiki_now

Jun 19, 2018
Dear forum members,

I have Bachelors Degree (4 Year) and MBA (1.5 Year) with concentration in accounts and finance. I have served at 2 different positions in last 3 year-employment. During 1st year I served as the Finance Officer and for next 2 years I have served as Secretary Finance in a different Company. I am not sure which NOC code matches my experience. But 1241 (Type - B) which I see is more relevant to my current job. Although I can go for Assistant Accountant as well but I feel apprehensive about my company in providing me Experience Letter. Moreover as I have MBA degree and planning to apply for Secretarial level category, will it create any problem for my application.

The other part of question is related to Education requirement. As I have MBA, Do I qualify for "Two or more Canadian post-secondary degrees or diplomas or equal (at least one must be for a program of at least three years -22 points)" as I have done MBA from outside Canada, can I claim those points in eligibility factors?

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Dear forum members,

I have Bachelors Degree (4 Year) and MBA (1.5 Year) with concentration in accounts and finance. I have served at 2 different positions in last 3 year-employment. During 1st year I served as the Finance Officer and for next 2 years I have served as Secretary Finance in a different Company. I am not sure which NOC code matches my experience. But 1241 (Type - B) which I see is more relevant to my current job. Although I can go for Assistant Accountant as well but I feel apprehensive about my company in providing me Experience Letter. Moreover as I have MBA degree and planning to apply for Secretarial level category, will it create any problem for my application.

The other part of question is related to Education requirement. As I have MBA, Do I qualify for "Two or more Canadian post-secondary degrees or diplomas or equal (at least one must be for a program of at least three years -22 points)" as I have done MBA from outside Canada, can I claim those points in eligibility factors?
You should go for Master's degree, OR professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession (For “professional degree,” the degree program must have been in: medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, optometry, law, chiropractic medicine, or pharmacy.) It gives you more points Just submit your MBA to WES to get an ECA for it and CIC will accept it as a Canadian equivalent (supposing it does meet the requirements). Regarding your job classification, I don't think being overqualified for a job is an issue. The problem would be if you claim to have done a job while not having the qualifications or training necessary.

Wiki_now

Jun 19, 2018
You should go for Master's degree, OR professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession (For “professional degree,” the degree program must have been in: medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, optometry, law, chiropractic medicine, or pharmacy.) It gives you more points Just submit your MBA to WES to get an ECA for it and CIC will accept it as a Canadian equivalent (supposing it does meet the requirements). Regarding your job classification, I don't think being overqualified for a job is an issue. The problem would be if you claim to have done a job while not having the qualifications or training necessary.
@Ksavier Thanks for quick reply. Your reply gave me confidence and comfort. I was worried about my experience. Please inform me what happens during background check? What type of checks are usually conducted? With respect to Masters degree, It specifically mentions about certain disciplines i.e dentistry etc. I don't have degree in life sciences.

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
@Ksavier Thanks for quick reply. Your reply gave me confidence and comfort. I was worried about my experience. Please inform me what happens during background check? What type of checks are usually conducted? With respect to Masters degree, It specifically mentions about certain disciplines i.e dentistry etc. I don't have degree in life sciences.
It specifically says "Master's degree, OR professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession (For “professional degree,” the degree program must have been in: medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, optometry, law, chiropractic medicine, or pharmacy.) " meaning that you either have a masters degree in whatever discipline or you could be into the health sciences and those are considered as -professional degrees- for which they give you those options.

Wiki_now

Jun 19, 2018
Hi there,

I have drafted some of my actual duties which I usually perform. Can you have a look and inform me if 1241-NOC is okay for these responsibilities:
  • Final Review of documents before presentation to Chief Finance Officer for completeness, accuracy and follow up of proper procedures. In case of discrepancy the document is either returned to the accountant or forwarded with after highlighting the observations. These documents usually include:
    • Subcontractor payment certificates for completeness of all documentary evidence such as invoices and accuracy in calculations.

• Petty cash documents of the entire group for proper allocation of expenses, documentary evidences and approval from relevant managers

• Payment/transfer letters to banks, account opening documents, KYC documents for accuracy with respect to content and drafting

• Review of the cheque and cash payment vouchers books entrusted to officer messengers
  • Drafting of Supplier credit application forms (credit agreements) with inputs from Purchase Dept. and taking necessary approvals from supervisor, head of finance and legal adviser.

• Drafting the minutes of meeting of all business units held with Chief Finance Officer

• Assisting Supervisor in preparation and distribution of periodic supplier and customer balance confirmations

• Drafting and distribution of policy circulars/internal memos to the unit heads/company staff

• Scheduling and arranging meetings of Chief Finance Officer; making reservations for workshops and seminars.

• Preparation of staff vacation plan in order to avoid any clash in vacations and making sure proper succession plan is followed for smooth running of company affairs in their absence.

• Editing/proofreading correspondences and reports
  • Receiving and making calls to the banks and/or other parties on behalf of Chief Finance Officer

Wiki_now

Jun 19, 2018
Moreover I'm male and usually secretaries' positions are taken up by females... But this trend is quite normal in UAE. Would It create any problem?

nitin_0018

Jan 22, 2018
Hello Krystine, any news on your application? I passed medicals today 9 days later of AOR. I submitted papers using NOC 1241 background check starting today. Hopefully everything will be fine!
Hey Dear, any updates on your file?
I am in the process of drafting a ref letter for NOC 1241. I would appreciate if you can share the duties you listed in your ref letter. This will give some confidence to me while making my own ref letter. Thanks in advance.

Neyya

May 5, 2013
I'm on the same boat as well. I worked a Data Collection Clerk for a market research company. However my duties were a little more than that and matches closes with 1241 than 1454( survey and statistical clerks) in my opinion.

I'd like to know how yours goes.

Krystine

Dec 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-04-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
I'm on the same boat as well. I worked a Data Collection Clerk for a market research company. However my duties were a little more than that and matches closes with 1241 than 1454( survey and statistical clerks) in my opinion.

I'd like to know how yours goes.
Hello Neyya,

I was in the same situation. I was struggling between 1241 and 1454, but I had much more confidence about my work experience that should fall under 1241 rather than 1454 because of my actual duties matching more closely to 1241. My previous employer also agreed with it and I submitted my reference letter with 1241, and now I received the PPR. Go for your belief and just make sure all the responsibilities and duties in your letter are well matched to the one of 1241.