+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 1111, 1242 or 4112?

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Dear all,

Im a bit confused of what NOC should I choose when submitting my EE profile.

I'll try to explain myself. In my situation, I have 4 years of working experience as a tax professional. In principle I am tax lawyer (that would match NOC 4112), but technically speaking I was not a lawyer until I registered myself at my local Bar Association, which wasn't done until the end of my second year of working experience. During the first two years I was qualified as lawyer as I had already graduated from Law School (in my country that is enough to practice as lawyer, no need to take a Bar exam), but since I had not registered myself at the Bar Association, technically speaking I had been working as either a tax adviser (NOC 1111) or tax legal assistant (NOC 1242). The work is basically the same as the work done by a tax lawyer, with the difference that as a lawyer I could also represent clients in courts in relation to tax disputes (although I was too junior do it so I never did that, I would only prepare claims that would then be signed by my boss).

Besides, since a couple of months ago I am working in another country and since I am not qualified to practice as a lawyer in that country, I am afraid my working experience here could barely be considered as lawyer experience.

Consequently, my question is: would there be any problem leading to my experience not being counted as a single working experience if I write in the forms that during my first 2 years I was a tax legal administrative assistant, and the next 2 years as a tax lawyer? or should I select only NOC 4112 when completing the forms (as the only difference between the first 2 years and the second 2 years was merely a matter of being registered with my local bar association, which I could have done from the very beginning)?

Or maybe I could use NOC 1111 (accountant, which also includes titles such as tax adviser) instead? My only fear in this regard is that having reviewed the examples of "main duties" related to this profession indicated in the NOC website, I realize I have been doing only tax work (not preparation of financial statements, audit, or reports on accounting compliance). By tax work I mean: ensure compliance with existing tax laws and regulations, preparation of reports on tax issues, representing clients before the tax authorities in the course of tax audits, preparation of tax returns, and so. I don't know whether this will be enough to be considered as meeting the working experience requirements by the Canadian Immigration Authorities.

Many thanks

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Dear all,

Im a bit confused of what NOC should I choose when submitting my EE profile.

I'll try to explain myself. In my situation, I have 4 years of working experience as a tax professional. In principle I am tax lawyer (that would match NOC 4112), but technically speaking I was not a lawyer until I registered myself at my local Bar Association, which wasn't done until the end of my second year of working experience. During the first two years I was qualified as lawyer as I had already graduated from Law School (in my country that is enough to practice as lawyer, no need to take a Bar exam), but since I had not registered myself at the Bar Association, technically speaking I had been working as either a tax adviser (NOC 1111) or tax legal assistant (NOC 1242). The work is basically the same as the work done by a tax lawyer, with the difference that as a lawyer I could also represent clients in courts in relation to tax disputes (although I was too junior do it so I never did that, I would only prepare claims that would then be signed by my boss).

Besides, since a couple of months ago I am working in another country and since I am not qualified to practice as a lawyer in that country, I am afraid my working experience here could barely be considered as lawyer experience.

Consequently, my question is: would there be any problem leading to my experience not being counted as a single working experience if I write in the forms that during my first 2 years I was a tax legal administrative assistant, and the next 2 years as a tax lawyer? or should I select only NOC 4112 when completing the forms (as the only difference between the first 2 years and the second 2 years was merely a matter of being registered with my local bar association, which I could have done from the very beginning)?

Or maybe I could use NOC 1111 (accountant, which also includes titles such as tax adviser) instead? My only fear in this regard is that having reviewed the examples of "main duties" related to this profession indicated in the NOC website, I realize I have been doing only tax work (not preparation of financial statements, audit, or reports on accounting compliance). By tax work I mean: ensure compliance with existing tax laws and regulations, preparation of reports on tax issues, representing clients before the tax authorities in the course of tax audits, preparation of tax returns, and so. I don't know whether this will be enough to be considered as meeting the working experience requirements by the Canadian Immigration Authorities.

Many thanks
My cents, dont use 1111 if you are not a CA or CPA>

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Many thanks for your help :) I am not a CPA nor CA, so I wouldn't be able to use NOC 1111.

But if I use NOC 4112 I am afraid my first 2 years of working experience will not count towards the working experience requirements (even though I had already graduated from Law School and was doing lawyer's tasks but representing clients in court).

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Many thanks for your help :) I am not a CPA nor CA, so I wouldn't be able to use NOC 1111.

But if I use NOC 4112 I am afraid my first 2 years of working experience will not count towards the working experience requirements (even though I had already graduated from Law School and was doing lawyer's tasks but representing clients in court).
Chose 4211. Simple and easy.