+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Same boat, applied in August, still showing DM status.
It’s pathetic...

I mean, I don’t mind to wait 8 months, 10 months, a year, I understand that we’re living under extraordinary circumstances, but they should be organized as a 1st world country. I passed the test on December 13th, my process shouldn't be any faster than someone who took and passed the test on Dec 12 as I shouldn't’ wait longer than someone who did it on Dec14th (not talking about essential workers).

Would it be so difficult to give applicants a number? Applicant number 5 is after number 4 and before number 6. Simply like that.

What amazes me is that the 3rd world country I came from can do simple and logical things like that, but apparently Canada can’t.

At this point, I just fell like the whole citizenship process became a drawing, a lottery...
Take heart for apps are not the same. Others can be straightforward while others may be snagged in checks-delays. All in all, it will come and you will jubilate eventually.

Last edited:

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
How long does it take to receive the certificates?
We had our virtual oath in Edmonton on July 28 and the ECAS status is still the same (decision made) no lines even appeared for virtual invitation.
at the ceremony the judge said 2-4 weeks

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
How long does it take to receive the certificates?
We had our virtual oath in Edmonton on July 28 and the ECAS status is still the same (decision made) no lines even appeared for virtual invitation.
Officially IRCC says you would get the certificate within 2-4 weeks after the oath but most people get it within 2 weeks.
I did my oath on July 30th, they posted my certificate on Aug 4th and I got it in my mail box on the Aug 10th.
So you may get it anytime soon.

My ECAS status went from decision made to complete after 4 days of the oath and the details went from invitation for test in March to being a canadian citizen statement directly. I believe it would be just normal for them to update like that.

Congrats!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassiano

kambal82

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2015
Doc's Request.
Celpip-14/04/15 and sched A/seamansbook-20-07/15
AOR Received.
13-04-15
Med's Request
12-03-15
Med's Done....
30-04-15
Passport Req..
23-07-15
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-15
LANDED..........
19-08-15
Hi! Congratulations. Is this a virtual oath taking ceremony?

Reactions: Cassiano

kambal82

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2015
Doc's Request.
Celpip-14/04/15 and sched A/seamansbook-20-07/15
AOR Received.
13-04-15
Med's Request
12-03-15
Med's Done....
30-04-15
Passport Req..
23-07-15
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-15
LANDED..........
19-08-15
2020/08/11 oath
2 1/2 hrs (1st hour: checking documents, 2nd hour: oath, and the last 1/2 hour: signature)
67 people
they ask if we are within Canada.

good luck everyone
Hi! Congratulations. Is this a virtual oath taking ceremony?

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
It’s pathetic...

I mean, I don’t mind to wait 8 months, 10 months, a year, I understand that we’re living under extraordinary circumstances, but they should be organized as a 1st world country. I passed the test on December 13th, my process shouldn't be any faster than someone who took and passed the test on Dec 12 as I shouldn't’ wait longer than someone who did it on Dec14th (not talking about essential workers).

Would it be so difficult to give applicants a number? Applicant number 5 is after number 4 and before number 6. Simply like that.

What amazes me is that the 3rd world country I came from can do simple and logical things like that, but apparently Canada can’t.

At this point, I just fell like the whole citizenship process became a drawing, a lottery...
Thats not how it should be. Contact your MP. Its your right to do so.

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
It’s pathetic...

Same situation here. Exam passed and in DM status since Feb 2020. Got an oath invite that got cancelled in March. Since then, nothing. When I call IRCC, they give the COVID delay reason. I feel it has become more of an excuse lately, than a legitimate reason - not to mention that they talk rudely most of the time.

First they give out virtual oath invites to folks whose initial oath invite was later than mine - so no sequence followed there. Now invitations are going out to people who did not get an initial oath invite at all. Its going from bad to worse.

cestcaquejm

Mar 5, 2020
Why its so hard for IRCC to let people know when they should expect their oath? To me it's very simple- put people in a queue and obey the first in first out rule instead of doing lucky draws.... Do they really care about people who have been waiting for more than half a year?

NAC10

Aug 9, 2020
It looks like there is no "first applied first given" kind of thing there. People applied in September and October 2019 (with tests in February and March) are having their oath in August (Montreal Region)! However, people applied earlier (like me) don't even have their DM yet and no matter how many times you call or ask them, they would say it is due to COVID 19, there is no other problem.....It has already been a year since I applied and they received my application!!! But yet nothing :( except the COVID 19. Does anyone know if they process faster for a single applicant and slower for family applicants (with children)? I heard another virtual oath in Montreal on August 12 with 69 people via zoom (they ask you to be ready for 3 hours: 9-12). For sure they have started to proceed faster now: I can only be positive and optimistic that my turn will come soon too!

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks like there is no "first applied first given" kind of thing there. People applied in September and October 2019 (with tests in February and March) are having their oath in August (Montreal Region)! However, people applied earlier (like me) don't even have their DM yet and no matter how many times you call or ask them, they would say it is due to COVID 19, there is no other problem.....It has already been a year since I applied and they received my application!!! But yet nothing :( except the COVID 19. Does anyone know if they process faster for a single applicant and slower for family applicants (with children)? I heard another virtual oath in Montreal on August 12 with 69 people via zoom (they ask you to be ready for 3 hours: 9-12). For sure they have started to proceed faster now: I can only be positive and optimistic that my turn will come soon too!
It all depends on the case officer. Each officer is district in terms of processing apps.

e1v2a0n6

Jun 24, 2014
There is no first in first out in Montreal....
I'm the one who was supposed to do my oath on March 13th at College de Maisonneuve, but it got cancelled on March 12th.
I'm still waiting for further notice no matter how many times wrote them email and called them......
:(

• Sad
Reactions: elwaver