+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
For most people it won't change their everyday lives. Many jobs don't require much travel these days so unless you need Canadian citizenship for your job (pretty rare) you don't need citizeship asap. The only people who really benefit are the ones wanting to live outside of Canada. I understand that citizenship is important but it is still a very fast overall timeline. Some people from IRCC were dispatched to deal with more urgent things like CERB during covid. The system seems to be gradually coming back online.
Citizenship matters !!

*I have been living in Canada for more than 5yr. I get asked many times by potential employers during telephonic and/or in-person interviews, what is your status in Canada? When I told them, I'm a PR. The next questions were, how did you get PR; was it company sponsored, relative/spouse sponsored, etc.

*Few years ago, I'd been refused an admission to a Canadian university because I didn't have an IELTS (academic). I had IELTS (General). If I had Canadian citizenship, IELTS would have been waived off.

*Mostly federal level and provincial level govt deptt "preferably" hire Citizens and veterans. Although PRs can apply for some jobs; however preference is still for Citizens.

.....and so on and so forth.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I really don't know what to say this sounds like a long process I keep telling myself not to think about it because otherwise I will go crazy.
Well, clients having either DM status or prior oath ceremony cancelled have some sort of leverage (sooner or later they'll eventually get oath) as compared to those having in-process status or waiting for knowledge tests.

hotshot45890

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
Citizenship matters !!

*I have been living in Canada for more than 5yr. I get asked many times by potential employers during telephonic and/or in-person interviews, what is your status in Canada? When I told them, I'm a PR. The next questions were, how did you get PR; was it company sponsored, relative/spouse sponsored, etc.

*Few years ago, I'd been refused an admission to a Canadian university because I didn't have an IELTS (academic). I had IELTS (General). If I had Canadian citizenship, IELTS would have been waived off.

*Mostly federal level and provincial level govt deptt "preferably" hire Citizens and veterans. Although PRs can apply for some jobs; however preference is still for Citizens.

Completely agree. I would also add:

1). Ability to participate politically. Day in and day out decisions are being made at both Federal and Provincial level and there is no way for a PR to participate and vote.

2). PR status is always at risk and if something happens and someone gets convicted they can easily be deported. Many immigrants also come from countries where their statuses could easily be removed/changed. Citizenship is a very important milestone for them and to just put it under the bucket of them wanting it to either leave Canada, or go for a world tour is very unfair.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Citizenship matters !!

You could have taken the IELTS. That isn’t a huge stumbling block. You could have also asked for it to be waived if you have previous English studies.

Most people aren’t applying for high level government jobs and especially at the moment where covid has essentially frozen hiring. In general the majority of people will be unaffected if they have to wait a few months longer due to covid.

duckduckgoose

Star Member
Jul 4, 2020
You could have taken the IELTS. That isn’t a huge stumbling block. You could have also asked for it to be waived if you have previous English studies.

Most people aren’t applying for high level government jobs and especially at the moment where covid has essentially frozen hiring. In general the majority of people will be unaffected if they have to wait a few months longer due to covid.
I think the major thing right now is potential elections coming up and the fact that any accident could mean your PR is revoked and you get deported. For example, if you are caught driving with some alcohol over the legal limit its grounds for revocation of your PR now. Obviously not advocating for breaking any laws but it just that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that one wrong step and it could all be over. I think the biggest fear for me is being involved in some freak car accident I get blamed for and losing my PR status and deported as a result. It's really the peace of mind and I think anyone who has gone through the hell of immigration and assimilating can vouch that it puts a BIG mental burden off your mind if you're always worrying about losing your status/deportation. You really can't enjoy life like most Canadians do knowing you have no safety net. I suppose I feel even more sorry for the folks in the states who have to wait years or over a decade (from backlogged countries like China) for a GC. Then another president comes in and starts changing the rules or cancelling them. You never know...and that's even happened in Canada.

I also think the reason why people in this forum are freaking out is the lack of communication. The website says all citizenship events are cancelled 'until further notice' which is anyone's guess. It could be 1 year, or 2 weeks no one knows and that introduces more uncertainty in these already troubling times. I think if IIRC gave more updates as to their current state with respect to how they're processing backlogs, plans for citizenship tests etc it would put more people's minds at least. I mean the only information we have was from an access for information request via Rebel Media (not exactly a reputable source and we don't even know if its real). Communication is paramount I think lack of that makes people fear for the worst or at elevates their anxiety levels. Even when you don't know what to do in a situation, telling your clients what your expected strategy is and providing updates, alleviates a lot of stress and fear on their end. It actually goes a long way based on my experiences working in customer support for several years. If I told a client 'just be patient and I'll work on your case within the next few days/weeks/months/years' and went off on my way, they would probably ask to speak to my manager. Patience is one thing yes, obviously we need to all be patient but communication is also key so you can avoid unnecessary tension.

I'm at least glad IIRC is giving updates for those who applied for PRs and study permit and are being more flexible with regard to that than the US for example.

Last edited:

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I think the major thing right now is potential elections coming up and the fact that any accident could mean your PR is revoked and you get deported. For example, if you are caught driving with some alcohol over the legal limit its grounds for revocation of your PR now. Obviously not advocating for breaking any laws but it just that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that one wrong step and it could all be over. I think the biggest fear for me is being involved in some freak car accident I get blamed for and losing my PR status and deported as a result. It's really the peace of mind and I think anyone who has gone through the hell of immigration and assimilating can vouch that it puts a BIG mental burden off your mind if you're always worrying about losing your status/deportation. You really can't enjoy life like most Canadians do knowing you have no safety net. I suppose I feel even more sorry for the folks in the states who have to wait years or over a decade (from backlogged countries like China) for a GC. Then another president comes in and starts changing the rules or cancelling them. You never know...and that's even happened in Canada.

I also think the reason why people in this forum are freaking out is the lack of communication. The website says all citizenship events are cancelled 'until further notice' which is anyone's guess. It could be 1 year, or 2 weeks no one knows and that introduces more uncertainty in these already troubling times. I think if IIRC gave more updates as to their current state with respect to how they're processing backlogs, plans for citizenship tests etc it would put more people's minds at least. I mean the only information we have was from an access for information request via Rebel Media (not exactly a reputable source and we don't even know if its real). Communication is paramount I think lack of that makes people fear for the worst or at elevates their anxiety levels. Even when you don't know what to do in a situation, telling your clients what your expected strategy is and providing updates, alleviates a lot of stress and fear on their end. It actually goes a long way based on my experiences working in customer support for several years. If I told a client 'just be patient and I'll work on your case within the next few days/weeks/months/years' and went off on my way, they would probably ask to speak to my manager. Patience is one thing yes, obviously we need to all be patient but communication is also key so you can avoid unnecessary tension.

I'm at least glad IIRC is giving updates for those who applied for PRs and study permit and are being more flexible with regard to that than the US for example.
To IRCC, I did flag the lack of communication and using vague/general information concerning to citizenship events on its website. They just announced virtual ceremonies but didn't outline any criteria about "some" applicants being selected for virtual oaths. It is putting all awaiting applicants or stakeholders into confusion. They did reply that information on its website does necessarily reflect what is actually going on, and that please continue to be patient, etc.

IRCC actually started virtual ceremonies since April 1st for special/urgent cases; but they didn't bother to mention it on its website. First time, they officially announced it on June 4, 2020 on www.canada.ca.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2015
My citizenship Oath got cancelled on 14th March and since then I have not heard anything from them. Unless I have missed a call.
Please let me know if any recourse available to me for further citizenship process.

My PR card is already expired by now and now I am in dilemma what to do.

Any help and recommendations are highly welcome

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
My citizenship Oath got cancelled on 14th March and since then I have not heard anything from them. Unless I have missed a call.
Please let me know if any recourse available to me for further citizenship process.

We are all in this together.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Ooo 9
Someone please draft a petition to collect signatures and bring MPs and media in. It's not going to be good. At a current pace 1000 virtual oaths a week, we will be waiting forever. They dont care!
My friend's wife is a citizenship and passport processing agent Edmonton area, I just found it out last Friday when I visited them. This was a good opportunity for me to ask all kinds of questions concerning citizenship. From our conversation, I can say even if they put guidelines in place for fed employees to resume office work like provincial government employees are doing right now and private sector are also doing, most of them are not willing to go back to the office and they know that they have a very strong union that can back them up. She even laughed at me when I told her about service Canada resuming office work according to IRCC's website. So I guess it's going to be a long and painful wait.

Last edited:

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020

This is just my little rough observation so far with regards to virtual oath invitations being received by applicants having either DM status or previous in-person oath ceremonies cancelled. They should have:

Expected Oath Invite = (AR, Month, 2019) 12 months ± 2 months

AR = Application Received at CPC-S (eCAS step 1)

Ref Data based on this forum
Applicants having DM or previous oath ceremonies cancelled due to Covid-19.
April 2019 applicant - Oath in June 2020
June 2019 applicant - Oath in July 2020
July 2019 applicant - Oath in July 2020
Aug 2019 applicant - Oath in July 2020
Sept 2019 applicant - Oath in July 2020

Reactions: elcabalito2017

Titoualfruk

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Toulouse
Category........
Visa Office......
Montréal
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/03/2013
Doc's Request.
March 2014
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
CSQ 16/8/2013 PR 01/04/2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01/04/2015
Med's Request
12/06/2015
Med's Done....
29/06/2015
Interview........
25/11/2014
Passport Req..
No passport request visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
10/07/2015
LANDED..........
13/10/2015
Any movement in Montreal for V O ceremonies ???

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
I get asked "Do you have the legal right to work in Canada?" or "Do you require sponsorship and/or visa assistance?". Once I tell them yes I have the right to work or no I don't require sponsorship, there is generally no further questions about that.

Reactions: elcabalito2017

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
I get asked "Do you have the legal right to work in Canada?" or "Do you require sponsorship and/or visa assistance?". Once I tell them yes I have the right to work or no I don't require sponsorship, there is generally no further questions about that.
If you're a PR, no more questions need to be asked further, I guess. It's understood, PR has a legal right to work and doesn't require any sponsorship unlike student visa or work permit holders who, at some point, may require some sort of paperwork from employer for sponsorship, etc. And most employers prefer Citizens and PRs for permanent kind of jobs.

duckduckgoose

Star Member
Jul 4, 2020
Ooo 9
My friend's wife is a citizenship and passport processing agent Edmonton area, I just found it out last Friday when I visited them. This was a good opportunity for me to ask all kinds of questions concerning citizenship. From our conversation, I can say even if they put guidelines in place for fed employees to resume office work like provincial government employees are doing right now and private sector are also doing, most of them are not willing to go back to the office and they know that they have a very strong union that can back them up. She even laughed at me when I told her about service Canada resuming office work according to IRCC's website. So I guess it's going to be a long and painful wait.
Did she hear anything back about when testing will resume or how they plan to clear up the backlog. Pretty weird that they all refuse to go back to the office. Until a vaccine is out? Can they do productive work at home?