+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Even though IRCC has virtually started oath ceremonies, it'll literally take a long time to reach the ceremony ready clients in queue. Sooner or later, IRCC will probably have to adapt some sort of hybrid approach/schema: virtual as well as in-person events with physical distancing measures.

***For vulnerable and high risk groups - Virtual Event may be the only option***

Reactions: andy10 and zam7

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
Even though IRCC has virtually started oath ceremonies, it'll literally take a long time to reach the ceremony ready clients in queue. Sooner or later, IRCC will probably have to adapt some sort of hybrid approach/schema: virtual as well as in-person events with physical distancing measures.

***For vulnerable and high risk groups - Virtual Event may be the only option***
I’ve been trying to say this ever since we went into Stage 1. It’s impossible to only rely on Virtual ceremonies due to the sheer volume. Additionally, if nail spas and hair salons can open (stage 2) why can’t oath ceremonies take place with proper measures in place. It doesn’t even have to be a full-fledged ceremony. Maybe a condensed version like they do in the US!

Reactions: cardinal81

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I’ve been trying to say this ever since we went into Stage 1. It’s impossible to only rely on Virtual ceremonies due to the sheer volume. Additionally, if nail spas and hair salons can open (stage 2) why can’t oath ceremonies take place with proper measures in place. It doesn’t even have to be a full-fledged ceremony. Maybe a condensed version like they do in the US!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/public-service-canada-covid-19-office-1.5621975?fbclid=IwAR234nHHKMfP1dEWGJxy6HHTi8ki8Goq2zmP8Mp_8YqrOyZ7HKt81SlI3L8

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Assuming, the Citizenship Regulations (how to do the citizenship activities, events etc as per the Citizenship Act) would probably undergo some more changes/adjustments in near future. Virtual events they have already brought in. Let's see what is coming next !!

It's all up to the direction and discretion of Minister IRCC.

Reactions: zam7

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
on a second thought, does this whole virtual set up means, that there will be no citizenship tests?
Test is must. Knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (Citizenship test) are in the Citizenship Act.

Regulations could be adjusted as per circumstances (by Minister IRCC), but Act needs legislative approval, it's a long process.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on a second thought, does this whole virtual set up means, that there will be no citizenship tests?
It's upto the minister of IRCC, it can be one of the options like when doing senerio analysis...

Kamite

Jan 7, 2019
Montreal
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-01-2015
What's your thoughts about my case guys ? This seems weird to me!
sent my application on April 22, application received on April 24, precessing on August 1, got invitation for the exam on January 22 (had 19/), got invitation for aoth ceremony on Feb 14 had to attend it on March 14 which was cancel! On my profile onlineit says DECISION MADE till Jan 24th
Now I can see people who applied after me getting oath invitation throug Zoom...
Week ago I lost my brother in my home country and would love to go attend the 40th days...
Send IRCC two times emails which they answer, but not clearly (can find those infos on line). But now I don't know what to do!! Should I contact them again or just keep waiting like that ??? Your thought

cardinal81

May 8, 2020
sent my application on April 22, application received on April 24, precessing on August 1, got invitation for the exam on January 22 (had 19/), got invitation for aoth ceremony on Feb 14 had to attend it on March 14 which was cancel! On my profile onlineit says DECISION MADE till Jan 24th
Now I can see people who applied after me getting oath invitation throug Zoom...
Week ago I lost my brother in my home country and would love to go attend the 40th days...
Send IRCC two times emails which they answer, but not clearly (can find those infos on line). But now I don't know what to do!! Should I contact them again or just keep waiting like that ??? Your thought
Sorry for your loss.

You have straight forward case I dont see anything weird.
What would you say about my case then ))).
IRCC would say if your PR is valid you can travel. You don't expect they will process your application faster. They dont consider your case as urgent.

Reactions: Kamite

Kamite

Jan 7, 2019
Montreal
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-01-2015
Sorry for your loss.

You have straight forward case I dont see anything weird.
What would you say about my case then ))).
IRCC would say if your PR is valid you can travel. You don't expect they will process your application faster. They dont consider your case as urgent.
Yeah you are I think that is the case. Thanks :)

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If your PR card is valid, you can travel. Don't wait for citizenship as even if they provide you with a virtual oath, they will revoke your PR status and citizen and PR status cant be given to one person at the same time. This means now to come back to Canada you need a Canadian passport. As of now service Canada is not processing passports and they are only for urgent matters. We don't know how do they interpret "urgent matters" so its safer to skip all this hassle and travel on PR status only.

andy10

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Test is must. Knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (Citizenship test) are in the Citizenship Act.

Regulations could be adjusted as per circumstances (by Minister IRCC), but Act needs legislative approval, it's a long process.
take a look at this: https://business.financialpost.com/executive/careers/trudeaus-real-scandal-shuttering-service-canada-centres-when-our-unemployed-need-them-most

They have a union...they're probably making excuses about not going back to the offices and the union supports them...this doesn't make sense...for ceremonies, they can decrease the number of people...for interviews, they can install glass panels just like in grocery stores and ask applicants to wear masks...this situation is very stressful for so many people who have been waiting for this moment...some might argue that some people are dying because of COVID-19..but as long as there is one person who has it...other people will still catch it...the only solution is a vaccine that we will not see this year....if I can get a haircut, get a massage, go for a swim, or go to a bar then It doesn't make sense to hold up PRs like this...most PRs have been through a lot and sacrificed a lot to get to this point (test or oath)...let's hope for this best though

Reactions: nicolass

Kamite

Jan 7, 2019
Montreal
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-01-2015
take a look at this: https://business.financialpost.com/executive/careers/trudeaus-real-scandal-shuttering-service-canada-centres-when-our-unemployed-need-them-most

They have a union...they're probably making excuses about not going back to the offices and the union supports them...this doesn't make sense...for ceremonies, they can decrease the number of people...for interviews, they can install glass panels just like in grocery stores and ask applicants to wear masks...this situation is very stressful for so many people who have been waiting for this moment...some might argue that some people are dying because of COVID-19..but as long as there is one person who has it...other people will still catch it...the only solution is a vaccine that we will not see this year....if I can get a haircut, get a massage, go for a swim, or go to a bar then It doesn't make sense to hold up PRs like this...most PRs have been through a lot and sacrificed a lot to get to this point (test or oath)...let's hope for this best though
Agreed. I have lost two jobs because I am not yet citizen, I mean did not get yet the certificate bc of the oath ceremony... I sent them the proofs but nothing...

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. I have lost two jobs because I am not yet citizen, I mean did not get yet the certificate bc of the oath ceremony... I sent them the proofs but nothing...
I heard that urgent files are on priority.. In this covid situation, may be they haven't reached those urgent files yet...