+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

limits

May 13, 2015
I understand why some citizenship applicants are impatient and desperate to become citizens. But the government is focused now in ending the COVID-19 pandemic. They need to maximize human and financial resources to help everyone affected by this crisis.
I don't think people working in CIC responsible for approving citizenships have anything to do with fighting covid-19.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I don't think people working in CIC responsible for approving citizenships have anything to do with fighting covid-19.
I personally know someone in a federal government agency that's entirely unrelated to public health, but...nevertheless, there were calls among federal government employees (especially those who are not required to report to work) to volunteer for PHAC, and so now they're on call for PHAC, precisely because of the urgency of the covid-19 fight.

Reactions: limits and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I personally know someone in a federal government agency that's entirely unrelated to public health, but...nevertheless, there were calls among federal government employees (especially those who are not required to report to work) to volunteer for PHAC, and so now they're on call for PHAC, precisely because of the urgency of the covid-19 fight.
Agreed. It's almost certain that some IRCC resources have been pulled temporarily and moved to increase staffing on help desks, etc. for functions of the government that are higher priority due to COVID-19 and currently overwhelemed. Not just the government doing that right now. Any large organization is doing the same and has moved resources temporarily. I've been involved in this personally in the private sector. Lots of staff reallocation happening right now.

limits

May 13, 2015
Ah ok interesting, good to know.

funmohan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-Sep-2015
Passport Req..
PPR: 12 Feb
No updates whatsoever. Does anyone have any insight into when they’d restart the oath ceremonies?

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
No updates whatsoever. Does anyone have any insight into when they’d restart the oath ceremonies?
Nobody knows, the whole lockdown depends on the pandemic situation and health sector recommendations. We gotta wait few weeks to see how things are folding, anything else is just speculation.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
my citizenship is more important than my health! please unlock the processing!
Hard to recognize sarcasm in venues like this. Let alone discern the underlying intent. Which everyone should readily know. So, when it comes to something so important as the health of Canadians, which in this situation means the lives of tens of thousands of Canadians, if not millions, better to be sure the messaging is clear.

So, to be clear: for certain there are a million or more older Canadians whose health is far more important than a temporary stall in grant citizenship application processing timelines. And of course what the "lockdown" is about is an attempt to stem the spread of this disease generally and especially as to our more vulnerable (among whom I am one -- so yeah, on this issue I've a dog in the hunt). Sure, this attempt may be a bit desperate, and perhaps not as effective as hoped. But it is the right thing to do for now.

I never bought any of the rather too common "if it saves just one life . . . " arguments. But if a policy and related practices will save thousands of lives, let alone tens of thousands, even if it falls short of saving thousands of others, that's an equation with real world, real time weight. The "lockdown" clearly fits the saving thousands of lives bill, even if it will not totally stop this monster.

In any event, if sarcasm or satire was the intent, what I just offered is merely an exclamation mark, emphasizing how utterly unacceptable the proposition would be otherwise (and warranting some rather more vitriolic disparaging than I generally key out loud). In contrast, if not sarcasm, and likewise for anyone with such sentiment, mark their soul, not deserving Canadian citizenship or, even, to be a human.

Offered at the risk of over-reacting, but I do have a dog in this hunt, I am old, my wife is particularly vulnerable, and I care a rather lot about most of the people I think of as friends who are as old or older than me, many more vulnerable otherwise.

So please, no sarcasm intended here: please keep your distance and encourage others to keep their distance, at least until we can see the way clear beyond this dark cloud. Citizenship can wait. Viruses won't.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hard to recognize sarcasm in venues like this. Let alone discern the underlying intent. Which everyone should readily know. So, when it comes to something so important as the health of Canadians, which in this situation means the lives of tens of thousands of Canadians, if not millions, better to be sure the messaging is clear.

So, to be clear: for certain there are a million or more older Canadians whose health is far more important than a temporary stall in grant citizenship application processing timelines. And of course what the "lockdown" is about is an attempt to stem the spread of this disease generally and especially as to our more vulnerable (among whom I am one -- so yeah, on this issue I've a dog in the hunt). Sure, this attempt may be a bit desperate, and perhaps not as effective as hoped. But it is the right thing to do for now.

I never bought any of the rather too common "if it saves just one life . . . " arguments. But if a policy and related practices will save thousands of lives, let alone tens of thousands, even if it falls short of saving thousands of others, that's an equation with real world, real time weight. The "lockdown" clearly fits the saving thousands of lives bill, even if it will not totally stop this monster.

In any event, if sarcasm or satire was the intent, what I just offered is merely an exclamation mark, emphasizing how utterly unacceptable the proposition would be otherwise (and warranting some rather more vitriolic disparaging than I generally key out loud). In contrast, if not sarcasm, and likewise for anyone with such sentiment, mark their soul, not deserving Canadian citizenship or, even, to be a human.

Offered at the risk of over-reacting, but I do have a dog in this hunt, I am old, my wife is particularly vulnerable, and I care a rather lot about most of the people I think of as friends who are as old or older than me, many more vulnerable otherwise.

So please, no sarcasm intended here: please keep your distance and encourage others to keep their distance, at least until we can see the way clear beyond this dark cloud. Citizenship can wait. Viruses won't.
You might mistake youself for a prophet due to your wordrich comments, but it is only your point of view. I do agree with much if not most, but it is worth taking the viewpoint of others who might need that last step for a reason. Don't be a smarta$$, you don't look like one. Stay well and healthy and allow others their opinion whether you like it or don't

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You might mistake youself for a prophet due to your wordrich comments, but it is only your point of view. I do agree with much if not most, but it is worth taking the viewpoint of others who might need that last step for a reason. Don't be a smarta$$, you don't look like one. Stay well and healthy and allow others their opinion whether you like it or don't
It appears you are in favour of allowing me to have expressed my opinion. Sort of, anyway. Thank you, I guess. Not that I need approval.

That noted, perhaps my opinion was not clear enough. Regarding this, make no mistake, my opinion is that those who will prioritize obtaining the grant of Canadian citizenship four or ten months sooner, for themselves, over the welfare of many thousands of Canadians who are vulnerable to this virus, do not deserve to be granted Canadian citizenship or even acknowledged as human let alone humane.

For many, many Canadians, this is about life and death. Not mere opinions.

Canadian PRs can continue to enjoy a life in Canada for a long, long time without becoming a Canadian citizen. There is no rush comparable to the impact of lungs failing and people suffocating to death.

It warrants remembering that not all opinions are created equal. Not even close.

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
I know situation is hard for all of us but please do not do pick fights and refrain from personal attacks on other posters. Just leave a constructive argument if you want to contribute, and move on.

On topic, regardless of priorities, opening the centers now is a huge risk. Imagine the disaster if one interview/test center becomes a covid hot spot. No one would want to risk such a massive responsibility.

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The things we take for granted in life! A simple worry-free grocery shopping seems like a dream now.

Regardless, none of us are decision makers. Let us tolerate some humor in these dark days.

Reactions: JPBless

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Having waited for over 30 months (and obviously being frustrated), I still think waiting for couple of more months for grant of citizenship is nothing if it helps savings Canadian lives.
Well said sir. I don't mind waiting too for a long time for citizenship. Saving lives should always be the first priority.