No update after eAOR: Flagpole for Open Work Permit

jeffkang

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I want to talk about my exp. with EE and flag-pole for open work permit, hopefully this can be helpful for people in the same boat.

Type: FSW-inland
ITA date: 4 Dec . 2015
Medicals done: 22 Dec. 2015
Submission: 6 Jan 2016
eAoR: 7 Jan 2016
BOWP Submission: 8 Jan 2016

NO UPDATES EVER SINCE for both applications for PR and BWOP. NOT even "medicals passed."

Because my PGWP is expiring in march and I do not want to go implied status(then I cannot leave Canada), so I gathered info/documents to try get a spousal open work permit through flagpole in Niagara instead. My partner has PGWP expiring in 2018.

What you need:

- Passport and current work permits from both myself and my partner
- Common Law Declaration Form
- Some evidence to prove common-law/spousal relationship: certificates, letters, joint bank accounts, ownership of property etc. in my case I have bank letters and our property deeds
- My partner's employment letter and offer: prove her job is NOC 0 A B
- $255

What you should do:

Please be reminded that not all CBSA officers like people to flagpole for work permit, I've seen people in this forum got turned down at Niagara. In my case, I explained nicely to the officer about my situation: already applied for PR and BOWP through CIC, and I cannot afford to go under implied status: travel commitments, work etc. Then I told him that flag-poling is my last resort and I absolutely understand I shouldnt have flagpoled if not this urgent.

The officer was pretty happy with my explanations and issued me a new open work permit (valid for another 2.5 years) in 15 minutes.

CBSA is starting to become hesitant in giving out work permits for flagpoling, it is at the sole discretion of these officers to reject/accept your case at the border. But be sure you have the following when giving a shot:

1. Do you research, gather all required documents
2. Explain clearly and be nice, let them understand your (urgent) situation
3. At least try CIC first before CBSA
4. Flagpole at night(after 9PM preferably), when it is less busy, so officers know you are not taking spots for people who are landing, which should be their priority

nshakelly

Nov 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very helpful information my friend.

Its really surprising how your EE file has never been looked into since 1.5 months. I have submitted on February 12, 2016 and not a single update yet and I am already tensed about it.

nshakelly

Nov 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, how did you succeed in getting an extension to your work permit? As you said there was NO update on your EE file.

For BOWP, you need to have evidence of R10 completeness, isnt it? What about this?

jeffkang

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nshakelly said:
Also, how did you succeed in getting an extension to your work permit? As you said there was NO update on your EE file.

For BOWP, you need to have evidence of R10 completeness, isnt it? What about this?
There is no update on my BOWP application.

Because my partner has a work permit, I applied spousal open work permit instead of BOWP. I think you can bring your eAOR to CBSA and get BOWP as well... eAOR is sufficient

tfeddy2012

Star Member
May 11, 2015
jeffkang said:

Because my partner has a work permit, I applied spousal open work permit instead of BOWP. I think you can bring your eAOR to CBSA and get BOWP as well... eAOR is sufficient
How do you think this would work for BOWP?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jeffkang said:

I think you can bring your eAOR to CBSA and get BOWP as well... eAOR is sufficient
I don't think this is correct per the following:

To be eligible for a BOWP, foreign nationals must

be currently in Canada;
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next four months;
be the principal applicant on an APR under the FSWC, the CEC, the FSTC, the PNC (see note below), or one of the two caregiver classes;
have completed one of the following APR stages:
their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check
; or
they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above (Not Applicable - as submitted E-APR under EE);

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

tfeddy2012

Star Member
May 11, 2015
JoacRy said:

be currently in Canada;
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next four months;
be the principal applicant on an APR under the FSWC, the CEC, the FSTC, the PNC (see note below), or one of the two caregiver classes;
their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check
; or
they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above (Not Applicable - as submitted E-APR under EE);

WHAT IF YOU PASS ALL THIS ABOVE CRITERIA...? CAN YOU STILL FLAG-POLE FOR BOWP...

tfeddy2012

Star Member
May 11, 2015
JoacRy said:

be currently in Canada;
; or

WHAT IF YOU PASS ALL THIS ABOVE CRITERIA...? CAN YOU STILL FLAG-POLE FOR BOWP...

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tfeddy2012 said:

As @JeffKang mentioned, it is at the officer's discretion. Seems like a 50-50 chance. You get a lenient Border officer and then no problem. You get a strict 'letter of the law' officer and then likely no.

Here's Jeff's quote:

"CBSA is starting to become hesitant in giving out work permits for flagpoling, it is at the sole discretion of these officers to reject/accept your case at the border."

tfeddy2012

Star Member
May 11, 2015
JoacRy said:
As @JeffKang mentioned, it is at the officer's discretion. Seems like a 50-50 chance. You get a lenient Border officer and then no problem. You get a strict 'letter of the law' officer and then likely no.

Here's Jeff's quote:

"CBSA is starting to become hesitant in giving out work permits for flagpoling, it is at the sole discretion of these officers to reject/accept your case at the border."
50/50 Chance.............it doesn't hurt trying...

Dia87

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Schedule 4 & 4A
Nomination.....
11/12/2015
AOR Received.
12-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-01-2016 passed
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2016
Thank you very much for your post. Very informative.

Me and my husband is planning to do flagpole. I will extend my study permit and my husband will his open WP. He also has BC PNP work support letter and we have already applied for PR. Our visa will expire this March. Therefore, just to know what type of documents we have to show the officer? Do we need to fill up those online forms and validate and take those with us? Also, I have letter from my university too.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dia87 said:

Me and my husband is planning to do flagpole. I will extend my study permit and my husband will his open WP. He also has BC PNP work support letter and we have already applied for PR. Our visa will expire this March. Therefore, just to know what type of documents we have to show the officer? Do we need to fill up those online forms and validate and take those with us? Also, I have letter from my university too.
Not sure about your study permit extension, but I flag poled last weekend for bcpnp supported work permit and I had with me:

My PNP nomination certificate and support letter
My AOR for my PR application
The A.... number from the employer portal, they paid the $255
My job offer
Common law documentation for my spouse
Current work permit

I got a closed permit and my spouse got an open dependent permit, both 2 years. Took about 20 min all up. Don't forget you need to pay for your permit at that time too!

Dia87

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Schedule 4 & 4A
Nomination.....
11/12/2015
AOR Received.
12-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-01-2016 passed
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2016
ozlis said:
Not sure about your study permit extension, but I flag poled last weekend for bcpnp supported work permit and I had with me:

My PNP nomination certificate and support letter
My AOR for my PR application
The A.... number from the employer portal, they paid the $255
My job offer
Common law documentation for my spouse
Current work permit

I got a closed permit and my spouse got an open dependent permit, both 2 years. Took about 20 min all up. Don't forget you need to pay for your permit at that time too!
Thanks Ozils.
I am confused about the employer portal you paid. Is it required for closed WP or for open WP too? Because my husband has open work permit.
Which border did you go? How long did it take?

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your husband getting an open permit as a dependent on your study permit? I'm not sure how those ones work.

If you use the pnp support letter and he is the primary applicant it will be a closed permit.

Took about 20 minutes, went to osoyoos - it is close to where we live.

jeffkang

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dia87 said:

Hi, no forms needed to be filled. Just prepare the documents in the list in my original post...