+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No surname in passport, how to enter name in EE application?

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
Hi All,
My husband and I are applying together for PR visa and both of us, being tamilians, do not have a surname. Out first name is followed by our father's name. Our passports mention our full names (for ex. Rashmi Narayan) in the Given Name field and the Surname field in our passports is blank.

As advised by our consultant, in the EOI application, we had entered our full names (eg. Rashmi Narayan) in both the name fields i.e. First Name and Last Name as our consultant told us that we cannot leave either of the fields blank and nor can we mention N.A. in either of them.

Now, we have received ITA and are in the process of submitting out eAPR, so just want to re-confirm if this is correct or it has to be modified?

Also, at this stage (after receiving ITA), if we make any changes to the name, will it be an issue? Should we mention this in the letter of explanation?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Rashmi

Abul Aziz

Star Member
May 19, 2015
Please refer to the FAQ from CIC website:

What do you mean by surname?
Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “*”, “Not applicable” or “NA”.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4

dazednconfused

Star Member
Feb 4, 2017
I am in the same situation. If you only have given names and blank in the family name/last name in you passport - then you need to fill out "FNU". Leaving it blank delays things unnecessarily.

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
dazednconfused said:
I am in the same situation. If you only have given names and blank in the family name/last name in you passport - then you need to fill out "FNU". Leaving it blank delays things unnecessarily.
What does 'FNU' indicate?

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
Abul Aziz said:
Please refer to the FAQ from CIC website:

What do you mean by surname?
Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “*”, “Not applicable” or “NA”.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4
Thanks for the link. However, if I do make any changes to my name now (i.e. after receiving ITA), would it have any negative impact on my application? Probably i can explain the change in my letter of explanation..would that suffice?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Rashmi1690 said:
Thanks for the link. However, if I do make any changes to my name now (i.e. after receiving ITA), would it have any negative impact on my application? Probably i can explain the change in my letter of explanation..would that suffice?
No, it will not impact your application, use the LOE to explain.

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
Stanlee said:
No, it will not impact your application, use the LOE to explain.
Thanks Stanlee. Do you also second that I should mention my name as 'First Name = blank' and 'last name/family name = Rashmi Narayan'? Will leaving the first name blank lead to any delay in the processing? Kindly suggest.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Rashmi1690 said:
Thanks Stanlee. Do you also second that I should mention my name as 'First Name = blank' and 'last name/family name = Rashmi Udayshankar'? Will leaving the first name blank lead to any delay in the processing? Kindly suggest.
No, it will not delay your application processing in any way. In fact, that is how you have to enter the name when you do not have a surname in the passport.

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
Stanlee said:
No, it will not delay your application processing in any way. In fact, that is how you have to enter the name when you do not have a surname in the passport.
Thanks a lot!

Harry24

Jan 8, 2018
Hi Stanlee,
While creating profile i entered no name given in surname and my full name in given name as per passport!i have recieved ITA now,Can i still make changes or should i just explain it in LOE?

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi Stanlee,
While creating profile i entered no name given in surname and my full name in given name as per passport!i have recieved ITA now,Can i still make changes or should i just explain it in LOE?
Hello Harry24!!

You found out the answer, please let me know too.

MY surname field is blank in passport.

polestar123

Sep 4, 2018
Hi....
After receiving ITA.. If given name is entered in surname and surname is left blank, page shows error.... its saying it is mandatory to enter both surname and given name... so what to do if one has only given name

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi....
After receiving ITA.. If given name is entered in surname and surname is left blank, page shows error.... its saying it is mandatory to enter both surname and given name... so what to do if one has only given name
Use the same name in both of the fields. !! Let everyone know who is asking such a question and spread the word. Do not leave the field blank, write the same name in both the fields to avoid errors, and explain things in the Letter of Explanation.

Good luck !

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Thanks Stanlee. Do you also second that I should mention my name as 'First Name = blank' and 'last name/family name = Rashmi Narayan'? Will leaving the first name blank lead to any delay in the processing? Kindly suggest.
Hi @Rashmi1690 , did you end up using 'First Name = blank' and 'last name/family name = Rashmi Narayan'? Did you face any problems at the later stages? Thanks