+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No surname in Passport/ any other document want to add

KJSK

Sep 29, 2015
Hello all
please suggest me....!!!! My case is as follow

-my name is kanwaldeep singh and all of my documents study work and passport are issued in the same name
There has been consistency of name in all documents as kanwaldeep singh
-passport is issued as surname blank
- i want to add my surname in passport as surname is important and mandatory in canada
- after adding surname full name would be kanwaldeep singh khalon or KHALON Kanwaldeep singh as per canada

Now doing this is easy by giving add in newspaper and afidavit it can be added, but its consequence i dont know....
So request experts please suggest should i do this or not

livetolove

Sep 11, 2015
Hi! You can add your surname and there shouldn't be any issues. All you have to do is that when you apply for PR mention in your application that you had a different name and attach the proof of change of name. Hope this helps!

KJSK

Sep 29, 2015
Documents ????? Notorized affidavit saying kanwaldeep singh and kanwaldeep singh khalon are same person
will it work without any problem???

jimso101

Star Member
Apr 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KJSK said:
Hello all

-my name is kanwaldeep singh and all of my documents study work and passport are issued in the same name
- i want to add my surname in passport as surname is important and mandatory in canada
- after adding surname full name would be kanwaldeep singh khalon or KHALON Kanwaldeep singh as per canada

Now doing this is easy by giving add in newspaper and afidavit it can be added, but its consequence i dont know....
Hi ,

Eventhough its a mandatory field, its not necessary to have surname in passport.

Please check the CIC help for no surname
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=014&t=4

I will recommend you to apply for PR without changing the name details in passport.
I have applied for PR and i don't have surname in my passport. I have used "not applicable" tag for name details.

Thanks

Deccan

Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KJSK said:
Hello all

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My passport always had only my first name listed. Didn't have issues for several years but started getting questioned about it at ports of entry on and off. Was a fairly easy process to get last name added; followed pretty much the same process that you've already described.

I would recommend that you get this sorted out in your passport first before applying for EE. Will save you a lot of hassles downstream.

KJSK

Sep 29, 2015
in my case both primary and seconday applicants (Me and my wife) are adding surname in passport

So should i give LOE or notarized affidavit to VO while filling case?

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
I also had same issue.

My Passport
Given Name - F(first name) L(Last Name)

Surname - "Blank"

According to CIC, if you only have one name.
you've to fill it in SURNAME.
Leave given name blank.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/id/name/gcms.asp

rohitsinp23

Star Member
Aug 12, 2015
dell2 said:
I also had same issue.

My Passport
Given Name - F(first name) L(Last Name)

Surname - "Blank"

According to CIC, if you only have one name.
you've to fill it in SURNAME.
Leave given name blank.
Above quote is 101% right.
According to cic, if you dnt have surname in passport then applicant should fill his/ her given name in surname field. Because surname field is mandatory.
And fill NOT APPLICALE in given name field.
If you still have doubt please google it and type wording" surname cic" in google search field.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/id/name/gcms.asp