+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No status, can I file taxes

Kau1999

Jul 11, 2022
Hi everyone, I lost status a few days ago and I’m working with lawyers to regain my status back. Can I file my taxes or should I wait until I re gain my status

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
what "status" you are talking about? PR? or work permit or student permit?

Tax has little to do with "immigration status", what matters is your "residency status", i.e. you have to figure out if you are resident, deemed resident, deemed non-resident or non-resident

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone, I lost status a few days ago and I’m working with lawyers to regain my status back. Can I file my taxes or should I wait until I re gain my status
Revenue Canada is not concerned with your immigration status . There mandate is to enforce the ITA/ETA $$

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you just lost your status you would have had status in 2022 so you would have had status and were legally working then.

If you haven’t been studying for a long time you likely lost your status a long time ago. If you don’t study the school is supposed
to report you to IRCC

franalmeida900

Star Member
Mar 16, 2023
The taxes you’ll be filing are for last year (2022) which is when you should have had legal status still - at least from what I understand. I think you can go ahead and continue with your tax filing, CRA operates separately from the IRCC and you can still owe or be owed taxes even if you’re no longer going to be staying in Canada…