+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No stamp on passport for supervisa

coolgame1337

Mar 15, 2018
My dad has a supervisa that is valid until 2027. When he entered Canada in January 2018, the border officer didn't stamp on his passport and there is no date written. He was not given a visitor record. Does this mean my dad can stay for 2 years (until January 2020) from the date he entered Canada?

Also, my family would like to go on a cruise in the Caribbean in August 2018. When we come back in September 2018, will the border officer cancel his 2 year stay and only give him 6 months or will the border officer let him stay 2 years from his initial entry?

Thank you very much for answering. This is very important for us. I can't get help from IRCC because their phone is always busy and they don't answer my questions in the web form.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My dad has a supervisa that is valid until 2027. When he entered Canada in January 2018, the border officer didn't stamp on his passport and there is no date written. He was not given a visitor record. Does this mean my dad can stay for 2 years (until January 2020) from the date he entered Canada?
As there is no handwritten date (and no stamp as well), your dad is allowed to stay for 6 months, not for 2 years

Also, my family would like to go on a cruise in the Caribbean in August 2018. When we come back in September 2018, will the border officer cancel his 2 year stay and only give him 6 months or will the border officer let him stay 2 years from his initial entry?
His current visitor status will lapse and he when he returns, it will be considered as a new entry

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Thank you very much for answering. This is very important for us. I can't get help from IRCC because their phone is always busy and they don't answer my questions in the web form.
I believe that the absence of a stamp or date means six months, regardless of visa type.

See the specific processing for supervisa. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/examination-admission-port-entry.html

Length of admissions
An officer at the POE will determine the length of time that a temporary resident may remain in Canada.

Note: In general, stamps issued by CBSA officers at the POE are valid for a period of 6 months from the date of entry.

If a handwritten date has been placed under the stamp, the period of authorized stay expires on that date.

For example, for parents and grandparents who possess the super visa temporary resident visa or letter, CBSA officers will handwrite a date that is 2 years from the date of entry on their initial visit only.

Learn more about duration of visits.

coolgame1337

Mar 15, 2018
I called 905-612-5416 which is the Canada Border Services Agency phone number for terminal 3 of pearson airport. They said they don't stamp passports anymore. If the visa is a supervisa then my dad can stay for 2 years since his initial entry in January 2018. If he goes on vacation to USA, his visa is still valid for 2 years since his initial entry in January 2018.
I got this phone number from https://www.torontopearson.com/en/contactus/
Hopefully, this helps people with the same problem.

Reactions: elle03 and shimnui1

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
No stamp = 2 years if initial entry/first time, if not, 6 months.

Some people are still saying 6 months when it's 2 years for initial entry.

CIC and CBSA have already confirmed this.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
This was from a CIC agent February 27, 2018:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Super visa - Length of stay - Less than 2 years on initial entry
The parent and grandparent super visa can allow eligible parents and grandparents to remain in Canada for an authorized period of up to two years from their initial entry into the country.
However, if you did not get a Visitor Record when you arrived in Canada, and there is:
  • A stamp in your passport and a handwritten date:
    • it is important you leave the country on or before that date.
  • A stamp in your passport, but no handwritten date, or
  • No stamp in your passport:
    • it is important you leave the country two years from the date of your initial entry.
To obtain a Visitor record or to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor:
  • You can apply by mail or online before the expiry date of your current status,
    • we recommend reading the instruction guide first, it will assist you to fill out the form and it will give you the address where to mail it.
  • You are authorized to stay in Canada until a decision is made.
What’s next?
To find out how long it may take to process your application, please visit the processing times page.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The operational bulletin and the agent's email offer contrasting interpretations for the 'handwritten date'. Probably a good idea to contact IRCC/CBSA to be sure

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That email was a complementary info after the phone conversation.
But if you want to call 2 to 5 agents, go ahead.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I was accused before of giving wrong information, so better call right?
So my friend called CIC and confirmed it's 2 years for her mom, got the email too afterwards,
and other posters still do not believe after reading the email :rolleyes: I am just shocked :eek:
and the poster above confirmed it's 2 years too.
So people please just don't give wrong information without proof lol :p

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was accused before of giving wrong information, so better call right?
So my friend called CIC and confirmed it's 2 years for her mom, got the email too afterwards,
and other posters still do not believe after reading the email :rolleyes: I am just shocked :eek:
and the poster above confirmed it's 2 years too.
So people please just don't give wrong information without proof lol :p
Chill..... relax.... maybe you're having a bad day :cool:

"Accused" is a harsh word. Not sure where you got that from for the posts on this thread.

The operational bulletin from IRCC is in contrast to what you got from the agent. Not sure why calling CIC agents (and waiting endlessly) seems to be the favored communication over emailing IRCC LOL.

It was only a suggestion to email IRCC. It's up to someone whether or not to do so. Anyways.

And, yeah, I agree with you.... people please just don't give wrong information without proof LOL

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Did I say it was from this thread? lol
Email and Call will have the same outcome lol
For sure, call you will get the answer instantly, unlike waiting for their reply if they will reply.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ha ha.... now that's a joke.... calling will get the answer instantly LOL. Anyways

The end. La fin
Ok what was the joke? if you call and ask if it's 6 months or 2 years, the agent will tell you if it's 6 months or 2 years.