+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No stamp in Passport

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
It mentions needing to have a photocopy showing "The stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada"
I have my initial stamp in my passport when I arrived back in March 2019 but I went out of the country for a week holiday In August 2019 to Portland USA and I cant see a stamp in my passport from this trip on my return. I went via land border

Is this going to be a problem?

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
I had a similar issue, what I did to prove the date I arrived was:
-photocopy all pages of passport to show there isn't a stamp
-photocopy the boarding passes and luggage tags I had

Since you drove across, it might be a bit more difficult..do you have any gas station, restaurant, hotel, etc receipts you could use to show that you left, and then some from when you came back?

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
It mentions needing to have a photocopy showing "The stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada"
I have my initial stamp in my passport when I arrived back in March 2019 but I went out of the country for a week holiday In August 2019 to Portland USA and I cant see a stamp in my passport from this trip on my return. I went via land border

Is this going to be a problem?
What form are you referencing? Just curious because I am also an American and I've never had my passport stamped upon entry to Canada over the past few years of coming and going (always by air, though). If I know what form/line you're referring to, I can let you know what I wrote down.

FYI: If you ever need to show a more legitimate document of your places and dates of entry into Canada, you can always apply for Access To Personal Information document via the Privacy Act (it's free and Canada's equivalent to America's FOIA). Explain that you need to show proof of entry on such-and-such a date at such-and-such a location for your Permanent Residency Application. It may take 2 or 3 weeks, but they'll send you back a document that shows the CBSA record of the entry you're requesting. I know because I had to do this for myself.
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/request-information.html

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
What form are you referencing? Just curious because I am also an American and I've never had my passport stamped upon entry to Canada over the past few years of coming and going (always by air, though). If I know what form/line you're referring to, I can let you know what I wrote down.

FYI: If you ever need to show a more legitimate document of your places and dates of entry into Canada, you can always apply for Access To Personal Information document via the Privacy Act (it's free and Canada's equivalent to America's FOIA). Explain that you need to show proof of entry on such-and-such a date at such-and-such a location for your Permanent Residency Application. It may take 2 or 3 weeks, but they'll send you back a document that shows the CBSA record of the entry you're requesting. I know because I had to do this for myself.
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/request-information.html
It mentions it on IMM5556 under the documents checklist under passport.
I visited in 2018 via the same border by land and they stamped it then so it seems odd. I am using a New Zealand passport.

I'm applying for an open work permit at the same time as PR.
Another question to do with that, if both require same evidence do I do two photocopies?

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
It mentions it on IMM5556 under the documents checklist under passport.
I visited in 2018 via the same border by land and they stamped it then so it seems odd. I am using a New Zealand passport.

I'm applying for an open work permit at the same time as PR.
Another question to do with that, if both require same evidence do I do two photocopies?
1. Hmm...I never had to fill out IMM 5556 , but I see where you are talking about. I would explain on a separate sheet of paper that your passport was not stamped upon your entry at "X" border crossing on "X" date.
Side note: I have't left Canada since my last crossing, but I've learned to always get a stamp from Customs, even if you have to ask for it. :rolleyes:

2. Yes, send duplicate copies in. It is my impression that the Work Permit application actually gets separated from the PR application and sent to a different office for processing.

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
1. Hmm...I never had to fill out IMM 5556 , but I see where you are talking about. I would explain on a separate sheet of paper that your passport was not stamped upon your entry at "X" border crossing on "X" date.
Side note: I have't left Canada since my last crossing, but I've learned to always get a stamp from Customs, even if you have to ask for it. :rolleyes:

2. Yes, send duplicate copies in. It is my impression that the Work Permit application actually gets separated from the PR application and sent to a different office for processing.
Thank you so much!! So helpful, I really appreciate it

Reactions: PrincessButtercup