+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No six month waiting for off campus Work permit from jan 2014 onwards...

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
candian said:
no this is just myth
You are wrong. it is not a myth. The changes are proposed and available to read on www.cic.gc.ca if you go to the news and go back to december 2012.

Keyword - PROPOSED!

as we didnt get any work permit at airport for jan 14 intake
And you wouldn't because if (keyword - IF!) the proposed changes take effect jan 1st 2014, it would only be students arriving on or after jan 1st 2014, who would be affected. The rest of us, who arrived before Jan 1st, would not need to apply for a work permit. All we would need to do is get a SIN number and card.

All of that is if (keyword - IF!) the proposed changes take effect Jan 1st 2014.

If (keyword - IF!) they don't take effect Jan 1st 2014, those of us who started studying sept 2013 will be able to apply for an OCWP in march 2014. Those of you who start studying in January will have to wait until you have studied (keyword - STUDIED!) six months before you can apply for an OCWP. If you have a summer break, that means you can't apply for an OCWP until November 2014.

However, if (keyword - IF!) the changes takes effect anytime during spring 2014 or before march 2014, those of us who are not yet elligible for an OCWP, will automatically be able to apply for SIN and start working.

lnykgz

Aug 18, 2013
It will be good or bad a news? 50 hours to Jan 1, 2014!

itstime said:
You are wrong. it is not a myth. The changes are proposed and available to read on www。cic.gc.ca if you go to the news and go back to december 2012.

Keyword - PROPOSED!

And you wouldn't because if (keyword - IF!) the proposed changes take effect jan 1st 2014, it would only be students arriving on or after jan 1st 2014, who would be affected. The rest of us, who arrived before Jan 1st, would not need to apply for a work permit. All we would need to do is get a SIN number and card.

All of that is if (keyword - IF!) the proposed changes take effect Jan 1st 2014.

If (keyword - IF!) they don't take effect Jan 1st 2014, those of us who started studying sept 2013 will be able to apply for an OCWP in march 2014. Those of you who start studying in January will have to wait until you have studied (keyword - STUDIED!) six months before you can apply for an OCWP. If you have a summer break, that means you can't apply for an OCWP until November 2014.

However, if (keyword - IF!) the changes takes effect anytime during spring 2014 or before march 2014, those of us who are not yet elligible for an OCWP, will automatically be able to apply for SIN and start working.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
itstime said:
You are wrong. it is not a myth. The changes are proposed and available to read on www.cic.gc.ca if you go to the news and go back to december 2012.

Keyword - PROPOSED!

I personally find it strange that there has been no official news about the proposed changes actually taking effect in January 2014, if they were to be implemented then. It's only two days from now. Would CIC really just suddenly post on their website on January 2nd "Oh hey, btw you international students don't need an OCWP anymore so you can go get your SIN's and start working! Happy New Year!" It just seems unlikely to me, but I guess you never know. After all, they did suddenly announce earlier this fall that the citizens of Czech Republic are now visa exempt to Canada, effective immediately.

If I were to bet on it, I'd say that there will be no changes in January, but I hope I'm wrong. :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
elokuu said:
I personally find it strange that there has been no official news about the proposed changes actually taking effect in January 2014, if they were to be implemented then. It's only two days from now. Would CIC really just suddenly post on their website on January 2nd "Oh hey, btw you international students don't need an OCWP anymore so you can go get your SIN's and start working! Happy New Year!" It just seems unlikely to me, but I guess you never know. After all, they did suddenly announce earlier this fall that the citizens of Czech Republic are now visa exempt to Canada, effective immediately.

If I were to bet on it, I'd say that there will be no changes in January, but I hope I'm wrong. :D
It's possible the change could be announced tomorrow. Or it might not.

The parent / grandparent family sponsorship stream will start accepting applications again on January 2nd (after being closed to new applications for quite some time). Even though applications start being accepted on the 2nd, the new forms aren't being posted on the CIC web site until tomorrow (Dec 31st). So sometimes CIC does wait until the very last minute.

Anything is possible...

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Nobody says when exactly the proposed changes could take effect in January 2014. It could be on January 31.
Actually, you are wrong. The proposal mentions jan 1st, 2014. However, rumors has it that it won't be before spring 2014. When in spring, nobody knows.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, you are wrong. The proposal mentions jan 1st, 2014.
Could you please give a link? I had it but somehow lost or misplaced. :'(

Concerning dates with CIC, they very rarely follow what they say. I think that how I got an idea that "any time in January". January 1 is a statutory holiday so it could not be the starting day anyway.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Could you please give a link? I had it but somehow lost or misplaced. :'(

Concerning dates with CIC, they very rarely follow what they say. I think that how I got an idea that "any time in January". January 1 is a statutory holiday so it could not be the starting day anyway.
It's in the announcement of the proposed changes and can be found in the news section on cic, in december 2012.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. I will try. I have already looked there but could miss it.

I hope you did not mention this one? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-12-28.asp
because it says nothing about January 1, 2014.

I think the discussed chages were proposed in early 2013 but , again, I cannot find them.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Thanks. I will try. I have already looked there but could miss it.

I hope you did not mention this one? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-12-28.asp
because it says nothing about January 1, 2014.

I think the discussed chages were proposed in early 2013 but , again, I cannot find them.
WHOA! That link used to say jan 1st 2014. Now it doesn't even mention 2014 at all.

This link mentions january (no date) 2014.

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/isp/docs/Overview-of-Proposed-Changes-to-ISP.pdf