+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No SIN Spouse- Got CRA Letter

humsafaar

Oct 26, 2007
Hi,

I got married in Nov 2010 in my backhome. My Wife still in backhome. I filled her Immigration/sponsor file in Mississauge Office.
She had no SIN number. During Tax File 2010 I mentioned my Wife Name and Left Empty SIN field.

I got good Tax retuned becuase I was working whole 2009-2010 year. Now I recevied a letter from CRA, they are saying,
===Our records show that your current status is not the same as the one we used to calculate your 2009 GST/HSTC, as a result we can't determine if you are still entitile to receive this credit.

We have reviewed your entitlement based on:: A change to your marital information. The results of the review are show below.
Debit GST/HSTC $yy.xx June 2010 this amount owing was assessed under the Income tax act.

Pls send us the following info....we will process it and inform you if u r entitled.

==She is not doing any job.
I have a fear will they back all tax retun good money becuase she is not living with me. However, I am supporting her by sending money to her.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Don't be worried. CRA wants to know if your wife earned a lot of money outside Canada. Such income is not taxable in Canada, but if she earned a lot it might influence your entitlement to certain tax benefits in Canada. But since she did not earn anything, just say so and you'll continue to receive your tax benefits.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
humsafaar said:
thanks for reply.

So I just to send..My Marriage Certificate.
I could not see from your information whether CRA asked for a marriage certificate or not. Usually they just accept your word that you are married, and want financial information on your wife. So, no need to send the marriage certificate unless they ask speficically for it.

JcY

Feb 25, 2013
humsafaar said:
Hi,

I got married in Nov 2010 in my backhome. My Wife still in backhome. I filled her Immigration/sponsor file in Mississauge Office.
She had no SIN number. During Tax File 2010 I mentioned my Wife Name and Left Empty SIN field.

I got good Tax retuned becuase I was working whole 2009-2010 year. Now I recevied a letter from CRA, they are saying,
===Our records show that your current status is not the same as the one we used to calculate your 2009 GST/HSTC, as a result we can't determine if you are still entitile to receive this credit.

We have reviewed your entitlement based on:: A change to your marital information. The results of the review are show below.
Debit GST/HSTC $yy.xx June 2010 this amount owing was assessed under the Income tax act.

Pls send us the following info....we will process it and inform you if u r entitled.

==She is not doing any job.
I have a fear will they back all tax retun good money becuase she is not living with me. However, I am supporting her by sending money to her.
Hi there Humsafaar, I got the same letter today and I hope you can help me. I got married last Dec. 2012 (two weeks before the end of the year) . I change my marital status on CRA website few weeks after I got married. I was just confused because the CRA send me a letter saying that I owe some money and they need some information about my husband's income for the year 2011. I just want to know how you dealt with the situation. Do I need to call them or write them a letter.

Thank you in advance :)

Mahoraba

Apr 8, 2013
Has there been anyone who's found out exactly what to do in this situation? I have the exact situation as above.

We recieved a CRA letter stating that we owe 99.25 (Unless I'm reading this wrong, but I'm sure I'm not).

Reason for review:
- a change to your marital information

Program Result Amount: Period:
GST/HSTC Debit 99.25 Jan 2013

This amount owing was assessed under the "Income Tax Act"

Our records show that your current marital status is not the same as the one we used to calculare your 2011 GST/HSTC. As as result, we cannot determine if you are still entitled. If you send us the following information, we will processs it and inform you if you are entitled to this credit:
- your spouse's or common-law partner's name and social insurance number and a written document, signed both by you and your pouse or common-law partner, confirming your marriage or common law partnership and the date of the union.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mahoraba said:
Has there been anyone who's found out exactly what to do in this situation? I have the exact situation as above.

We recieved a CRA letter stating that we owe 99.25 (Unless I'm reading this wrong, but I'm sure I'm not).

Reason for review:
- a change to your marital information

Program Result Amount: Period:
GST/HSTC Debit 99.25 Jan 2013

This amount owing was assessed under the "Income Tax Act"

Our records show that your current marital status is not the same as the one we used to calculare your 2011 GST/HSTC. As as result, we cannot determine if you are still entitled. If you send us the following information, we will processs it and inform you if you are entitled to this credit:
- your spouse's or common-law partner's name and social insurance number and a written document, signed both by you and your pouse or common-law partner, confirming your marriage or common law partnership and the date of the union.
CRA has told you exactly what to do:
If you send us the following information, we will processs it and inform you if you are entitled to this credit:

Follow their instructions, and they will advise if they need anything else.

Mahoraba

Apr 8, 2013
I didn't mean to hit post, there is more to it.

My spouse 'does not' have a SIN and there for cannot follow through with that, like I stated, I have the same situation as the person above.

Also, in 2011 we were not common-law, for the year of 2011 my marital status did not change, why they think it did, I don't know.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can either respond with the information that you do have, and a written explanation as to why you don't have other items. For example: My wife does not have a SIN number yet because she is a foreigner currently residing abroad. Also explain that you have submitted an application to sponsor her immigration to Canada.

Alternatively, you can call CRA and explain your situation over the phone:

GST/HST credit for Individuals
GST/HST credit and related provincial and territorial programs (Calls from anywhere in Canada and the United States)
Hours of service and service standard 1-800-959-1953
[tr][td]

You're probably not eligible for GST/HSTC for your wife since she does not reside in Canada, but the best thing for you to do would be to advise CRA of your situation and let them tell you what to do.