+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No PR/no imm1000. What happens if I try to cross the border?

Jayt

Feb 24, 2014
Hello folks, I need some serious help here:

We've landed feb 1st for our PR.

As my partner had an intl. business trip planned, we checked cic and learned that you can use your imm1000 to cross the border via land, so we booked the return via buffalo.

But: imm1000 was lost during the trip(!!)

We had planned on me driving to buffalo so we could all cross the border together on the way back.
My partner still has a valid work permit and a valid temporary resident visa. But no pr card yet and now no imm 1000.

Apparently the correct way to proceed was getting a PRTD (PR travel document), but this takes several days to produce and the return tkt is scheduled to this Thursday.

We are considering taking our chances and crossing the border with one of the passports missing the imm1000.

Any guesses on what can happen? Any suggestions?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Do you have a soft copy of the COPR or e-mail from CIC with those details, since you have already decided to take chances, may be you could take those along with you for greater chances.

AFAIK, once you "land", the TRV is cancelled or invalid.

Jayt

Feb 24, 2014
Unfortunately no soft copy. I have an email from cic requesting passports, but there is only my name as the principal applicant there.

But you touched on something I was curious about: there isn't anything physically written on the TRV. But if they scan it, it will show as invalid then, correct?

Tks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The TRV and work permit are no longer valid since your partner has landed and become a PR. So there's a chance you may run into issues at the border.

I would postpone the business trip until you have the PR card - or be able to stay in the US long enough to apply for a TD (if you are turned away at the border).

You will need the imm1000 to apply for citizenship later (it's a mandatory document). I would request a replacement from CIC now (replacements take around 6 months to process) and then put it somewhere safe.

Jayt

Feb 24, 2014
Hi scylla, thank for your message. It's really appreciated.

Unfortunately my wife is already out of the country, returning this weekend.

The PRTD issue time is at 30 days (nyc or lax). It may be our last resort, if she cant come in.

We are carefully hoping for the best....