09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Lammawitch said:
For what it's worth:

I've traveled to and from Canada many times, over many years, as a PR on a visa-exempt passport.

*Not* once has an airline *ever* asked to see my PR card/proof of PR status in Canada.

Of course, with the introduction of the ETA, this will change, I imagine.
Boarding and entering are two different things. I am curious to know if you have ever entered as a visitor, which is what this Australian mate is trying to do because his PR card will be expired upon return.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
cempjwi said:
Boarding and entering are two different things. I am curious to know if you have ever entered as a visitor, which is what this Australian mate is trying to do because his PR card will be expired upon return.
That would be gambling. A PRTD (or PR renewal) can kick off an investigation - entering as a visitor when one is not is misrepresentation. There are others on the forums who have done it, some many times - to a large extent, it would likely depend on whether or not one has a return ticket. Often at the border, they will ask for the "purpose of visit", and if informed that it is tourism, they will ask to see a return ticket. When one does not have that (or if the goods brought look inappropriate for visiting), they look deeper.

When someone is just visiting for a few weeks, there is a lower chance of getting kicked into secondary, particularly if the passport number has changed (due to renewal, for example). The computer shows "John Smith, Australian Passport". There is no automated way to know that the passport that was used for landing is for the same person, as the passport number has changed.

For criminal convictions, they will often just match name, birthplace, and birthdate (or name and approximate birth year for serious crimes)- if there's a match, they will take the time to figure out if it's you. People with the same names as terrorists have ended up with real problems because of this. For immigration, they are more likely not to assume. If John Smith, with an AU passport, shows up as a visitor, looks like a visitor, and has a return ticket, they have little reason to try to look in the system to see if there has ever been a John Smith, Permanent Resident. Should they look, they will find it, and at that point, John has some explaining to do, and may be looking at serious penalties if they search his laptop and find evidence of misrepresentation.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cempjwi said:
No, I did not enter or attempt to enter as a visitor. One of my family members and I have, on different occasions, had to travel back to Canada with an expired PR card, but we easily & clearly met our residency obligations. As confirmed by the CBSA officer on arrival with a quick glance at his/her computer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cempjwi said:
?

Nowhere does it say that OP has an expired card or that s/he is going to try to enter Canada as a visitor. If you take a minute to look at the OP's previous posts, you'll see that s/he only became a PR in the past few months.

Renstr

Nov 25, 2014
cempjwi said:
My card hasn't expired. Due to some ridiculous errors on behalf of immigration canada, I have not received the card- after 100+ of waiting. I'm a new pr :)

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
?

Nowhere does it say that OP has an expired card or that s/he is going to try to enter Canada as a visitor. If you take a minute to look at the OP's previous posts, you'll see that s/he only became a PR in the past few months.
Right, sorry about that, I have been reading so many posts asking about re-entering Canada as a visitor with a visa-exempt passport because of an expired PR card that I got confused. My apologies.

Mar 2, 2013
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get my PR travel document from the Australian consulate once I am in Canada?

I have lost my PR Card and immigration Canada might not be able to deliver it to me in time before I depart from Vancouver.(I have informed them that it's urgent but I'm not hopeful as their processing time is 47 days right now).

I will be in Australia for 2.5 weeks. I can express-post my passport to Canberra as soon as I land - but I don't know if they will have a lengthy processing time. It would need be processed in about 11 business days and express-posted back to me - is that doable? I will call them in on Monday but slightly stressed out right now...very expensive mistake if I can't fly back!

I have tonnes of evidence that I am a PR including photocopies of my card, bank statements, wife and children etc. Sounds like you need the actual plastic card though?!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
badgerseatfrogs said:
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get my PR travel document from the Australian consulate once I am in Canada?

I have tonnes of evidence that I am a PR including photocopies of my card, bank statements, wife and children etc. Sounds like you need the actual plastic card though?!
There is no set processing time, as it varies for each VO. 2.5 weeks *should* be enough time.

Without a valid PR card or PRTD, you will not be allowed to board a plane to Canada. One alternative is to fly to the US and cross the border by land.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
badgerseatfrogs said:

I have lost my PR Card and immigration Canada might not be able to deliver it to me in time before I depart from Vancouver.(I have informed them that it's urgent but I'm not hopeful as their processing time is 47 days right now).

I will be in Australia for 2.5 weeks. I can express-post my passport to Canberra as soon as I land - but I don't know if they will have a lengthy processing time. It would need be processed in about 11 business days and express-posted back to me - is that doable? I will call them in on Monday but slightly stressed out right now...very expensive mistake if I can't fly back!

I agree it "should" be enough time. Others have received back PR TD in a matter of days.

Have the PR TD application and fees all prepared, and mail it along with your passport immediately after arriving in Australia. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

You need to send it to a Visa Application Centre in Australia. Not sure what's in Canberra (high commission?) but I"m pretty sure that's not the right office. See here:
http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Australia/contact_us.html

There are visa offices in Sydney or Perth you should be able to mail it to. If you happen to be going to either place and can do everything in person instead of mailing, that would also speed up the process. Include copy of your return ticket in the application, and request expedited processing.

If worst case happens and you don't get PR TD/passport back in time (if application was done wrong, mail lost or delay, etc) then you'll need to call airline to re-schedule your return trip back to later date, or to re-route entire flight to go to US and cross into Canada by land (assuming you had at least your passport back). Though if all goes to plan, you should hopefully have the PR TD in plenty of time.