+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No points for expired LMIA in express entry

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
Hi All,

I am working in Canada on an LMIA based work permit. My work permit is valid till Jan 2023 but the LMIA it was based on expired in Aug 2021. I see that I am not getting 50 points in the express entry for LMIA for NOC A type job. My job offer is permanent. Can someone please clarify if I should be getting the 50 points or not? Appreciate the help. Below were choices I made.

Does Alal have a job offer in Canada? : Yes

The offer must:
  • be for full-time and for at least one year
  • meet different requirements depending on type of job (i.e. some need apprenticeships and certification) and
  • be non-seasonal for Federal Skilled Workers.
Is this job offer for work that is: Yes
  • full-time
  • continuous and
  • for at least one year?
Is this job offer for work that is non-seasonal? Yes

An embassy, consulate or high commission in Canada? No

An employer on the list of ineligible employers with the Government of Canada? No

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

I am working in Canada on an LMIA based work permit. My work permit is valid till Jan 2023 but the LMIA it was based on expired in Aug 2021. I see that I am not getting 50 points in the express entry for LMIA for NOC A type job. My job offer is permanent. Can someone please clarify if I should be getting the 50 points or not? Appreciate the help. Below were choices I made.

Does Alal have a job offer in Canada? : Yes

The offer must:
  • be for full-time and for at least one year
  • meet different requirements depending on type of job (i.e. some need apprenticeships and certification) and
  • be non-seasonal for Federal Skilled Workers.
Is this job offer for work that is: Yes
  • full-time
  • continuous and
  • for at least one year?
Is this job offer for work that is non-seasonal? Yes

An embassy, consulate or high commission in Canada? No

An employer on the list of ineligible employers with the Government of Canada? No
Is it LMIA exempt?

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
You should be able to get 50 points as long as you are working for same employer. I had accidentally selected job to be seasonal in the profile so I wasn't getting 50 points. I later changed it to permanent and then I could see 50 points added to the score.

meddreamer81

Jun 17, 2022
Hey man I am on the same situation and I didn't dare to add my job offer because I am not sure if it a valid one.

The valid job offer MUST be a permanent job with one year past receiving a PR. You can’t use your original Work Permit job offer.
Do you have that? Please reply, I would appreciate your input.

Sid King

Mar 7, 2024
Hi folks! So what is the conclusion here? Can the expired LMIA be used to obtain 50 pts , when you have the Closed work permit based on that LMIA? Like you already have the job based on this LMIA , so what is the point of getting new LMIA , I don't understand.