+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No passport

Discussion in 'General - All Canadian Immigration' started by OTW_ON, Oct 10, 2018.

  1. Hello everyone,

    My wife does not have a passport and at the moment the possibility of obtaining a passport in her home country is almost zero. The Canadian visa office in Nairobi, Kenya has already requested my wife to send her passport so they can issue a visa. Could you please advise what options we have available when a passport is not present? Does anyone know if Canada would issue a travel document/permit if my wife were to travel to a neighboring country without a passport?
  2. #2 zardoz, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:26 AM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    I don't think that there are any alternatives to a valid passport. Canada only issues the visa, not the travel document, to a "foreign national", unless they are an successful refugee applicant.
  3. zardoz, thanks for your reply.
  4. Is your wife in Nairobi? There are many embassies there where she can likely get a passport. What is her nationality? Is she a refugee? There may be a possibility of temporary documents based on her UNHCR documents.
  5. Hi canuck78, no my wife is not in Nairobi and she is not a refugee. She is an Eritrean citizen and she still living in home country
  6. So, what is the reason why she can't get a passport?
  7. Assume you are likely the refugee and they are watching her because you left. Other refugees have reunited with family how do they do it?
  8. Does this have something to do with non-completion of military or other government service? I know this is an issue in some countries.

    To the best of my knowledge there is no work-around to the passport and Canada won't issue a travel document.

    You might want to pay for a consult with an immigration lawyer to see what the options are.
    Bryanna likes this.
  9. That would certainly be a problem. Canada's position would be to not attempt to subvert that requirement, I suspect.
    Taxes might be another reason.

    Bryanna and scylla like this.
  10. She is currently employed by the Ministry of Health and they won't provide her a release paper which is required by the Eritrean immigration office
  11. Thanks scylla, yes, she is currently working for the Ministry of Health (Government) and they won't provide a release paper. I'm planning on seeing a lawyer/expert soon.
  12. Does she have a passport but not a release paper? Most unfortunately have no choice but to head for Ethiopia without asking for permission. Assume you have Eritrean origins. Did you leave recently? If so how did you do it?
    Bryanna likes this.
  13. No, my wife does not have a passport. Currently the border b/n ETH and ERI is open for all and my wife could travel to ETH with no issue. Yes, I’m originally from Eritrea but immigrated to CAN in the early 1990s
  14. She needs a passport to get PR. Can she not just quit the job and then apply?
  15. No, that not how things work in ERI

Share This Page