+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No Marriage certificate

nik.1111

Jul 23, 2020
Hi everyone.. its urgent Can anyone please suggest me what to do if i don't have marriage certificate ie. we never registered in home country for marriage but we both husband and wife are working in Canada and have a child from India and have names on passport as spouse. But to apply in a express entry program we need a marriage certificate.. We cannot go back to India to get it registered because of covid.. What is the best solution?

Should we get our marriage registered here? or any other help will be great full.. Thanks in advance

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can't get married somewhere else because you're already married.

You need the marriage certificate. Can you ask the Indian consulate or embassy for advice?

jitinkalra

Aug 5, 2017
I have same concern and not having marriage certificate. I checked with Indian Consulate in Toronto about this. They don't provide any document to proof the marriage.

Please advise what else can suffice in place of marriage certificate.

gog21

Jul 9, 2020
Did you guys figure out the solution to the marriage certificate problem? What did you guys end up doing?

gog21

Jul 9, 2020
Yup thats what we're planning to do as well. Looks like they ARE giving extensions according to this post.
What template did you use for your letter of explanation?

jitinkalra

Aug 5, 2017
Same here, I have applied with affidavit along with LOE explaining the reasons and attached all other relevant documents to proof the relationship.

gog21

Jul 9, 2020
Same here, I have applied with affidavit along with LOE explaining the reasons and attached all other relevant documents to proof the relationship.
Thanks for the responses! I have 2 more questions please:

1) So did you leave the marriage certificate section in the documents empty? I believe LOE and affidavit would be added in the client info section
2) Did your LOE say that you cannot travel due to Covid related risks? I am worried if that explanation is not enough to get an extension :(

jitinkalra

Aug 5, 2017
1. I attached LOE and attachments in Marriage Certificate section.
2. In LOE, I mentioned that when we married and where under marriage act and attached affidavit, letter from Dubai Consulate, passport copies where our names are endorsed on each other passport as spouse, marriage photo/ invitation card, kids birth certificate to show as parents, etc. to proof the relationship and justifying that we are living together.

Reactions: waimhas and gog21

gog21

Jul 9, 2020
1. I attached LOE and attachments in Marriage Certificate section.
2. In LOE, I mentioned that when we married and where under marriage act and attached affidavit, letter from Dubai Consulate, passport copies where our names are endorsed on each other passport as spouse, marriage photo/ invitation card, kids birth certificate to show as parents, etc. to proof the relationship and justifying that we are living together.
Thanks a lot!

nik.1111

Jul 23, 2020
Hi guys one question : is there any difference between police verification done from home country and police verification done from BLS?