+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No longer eligible for otb and gst/hstc after I changed my sin

Sep 28, 2021
Hi, I have a strange situation going on after I got my PR in the end of July 2021. (I was a temporary resident on student visa since 2017 and filed all my taxes )

As I became a permanent resident, I got a new sin number and I had to create a new CRA account with my new sin number. When I logged in, I saw that I have new messages where it said that I am no longer eligible for otb and gst/hstc and I need to repay everything. I had the same message for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

For the explanation, it says that there was an update to the information on file and that my residence requirements are not met (which is clearly a mistake since I was in Canada all that time).

I will call cra tomorrow but I am wondering if anyone experienced something like that? And also why can something like this happen

Last edited:

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi, I have a strange situation going on after I got my PR in the end of July 2021. (I was a temporary resident on student visa since 2017 and filed all my taxes )

As I became a permanent resident, I got a new sin number and I had to create a new CRA account with my new sin number. When I logged in, I saw that I have new messages where it said that I am no longer eligible for otb and gst/hstc and I need to repay everything. I had the same message for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

For the explanation, it says that there was an update to the information on file and that my residence requirements are not met (which is clearly a mistake since I was in Canada all that time).

I will call cra tomorrow but I am wondering if anyone experienced something like that? And also why can something like this happen
yea i saw this in another post (i think i just got the same one, im waiting on the phone with them) -- basically they have no proof you are here legally (since theres nothing with that new SIN so they have no idea why they paid you that money -- so the fix is to respond with proof that you were here and eligible for the credits (gotta upload your previous study/work permits).

Sep 28, 2021
yea i saw this in another post (i think i just got the same one, im waiting on the phone with them) -- basically they have no proof you are here legally (since theres nothing with that new SIN so they have no idea why they paid you that money -- so the fix is to respond with proof that you were here and eligible for the credits (gotta upload your previous study/work permits).
Hi, thank you for reply. I called them and they said that it was a technical error in their system and that they will fix it. However, I am not sure when. They did not ask me to upload anything.
Can you please let me know how it goes for you and if they fixed it. Thanks

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi, thank you for reply. I called them and they said that it was a technical error in their system and that they will fix it. However, I am not sure when. They did not ask me to upload anything.
Can you please let me know how it goes for you and if they fixed it. Thanks
actually mine was a different weird one. something about changing marital status so we still both received payments for a year when it shouldve just been one of us. its not too bad but they shouldve known

Jaychance

Jul 7, 2021

Hey same thing is happening to me. I logged into my cra yesterday and i had 4 messages about hst/gst asking me to pay all the gst I’ve received since 2017 when i was a temp resident.i sin changed now due to pr and this is happening too. I guess I will call cra too..Did they get it fixed for you???

Sep 28, 2021
Hey same thing is happening to me. I logged into my cra yesterday and i had 4 messages about hst/gst asking me to pay all the gst I’ve received since 2017 when i was a temp resident.i sin changed now due to pr and this is happening too. I guess I will call cra too..Did they get it fixed for you???
Just yesterday I recieved an email from cra. I logged in and saw that they reassessed my hst. Otb is still not reassessed. But it's good to know that they started to fix things in my account.
Definitely call them and explain your issue. They told me that it happened to a lot of people due to some technical issue.

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Just yesterday I recieved an email from cra. I logged in and saw that they reassessed my hst. Otb is still not reassessed. But it's good to know that they started to fix things in my account.
Definitely call them and explain your issue. They told me that it happened to a lot of people due to some technical issue.

Could you please tell me what have you done ? I am in the same situation now and I dont know what to do ... did you call them ? how long you had to wait to fix both ? do they charge interest ??

beyestil

Jun 21, 2019
Could you please tell me what have you done ? I am in the same situation now and I dont know what to do ... did you call them ? how long you had to wait to fix both ? do they charge interest ??
I am here because I am researching about possible problems I may have after updating my SIN. But to help save you from worrying, I just want to share a previous experience with CRA and erroneous balances due.

My husband claimed EI for parental benefit a few months before our previous TRVs expired, unfortunately due to covid, our renewals were delayed so we received a mail from CRA asking us to pay otherwise, interest will be earned. We called CRA and explained our situation. It took about 3months since we receive the mail before we got our new permits. Soon as we got our new TRVs we forwarded it to them and our amount owing was just erased from his records. :) So don't worry too much about it, and just make sure you call CRA no matter how long the wait time may take :)

Sep 28, 2021
Hi. I called them and explained what is going on in my account. I actually called 3 times. During those calls, the agent who was helping me assured me that there is nothing to worry about and that it is an error in their system and that I don’t have to pay anything. They sent my files for reevaluation. To this day, it is still not completely fixed, they only fixed hst (and not entirely because it still shows I own them for hst) It’s been like 3 month and still my account is not fixed…So I will call them again. Definitely call them as well! I know some people who have the same problem so it is a known issue at cra