+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No longer eligible for GST/Alberta Benefits - Asking to repay

sbjuliana

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi a weird thing happened to me and my husband recently.

We are in Canada since 2015. First, as temporary worker/student. This year, we got our PR and a new SIN. We always file our taxes (since 2016), and we always reported ourselves as married.

We have a joint account at the bank and this year we received GST and an Alberta benefit. I received a message from the CRA saying I was eligible for those benefits. Ok so far.

But my husband got a new message saying he is no longer eligible because I'm the main applicant and asking him to pay the CRA back. They are asking him to pay the exact same amount we received for both GST and the Alberta benefit.

This does not make sense to me since our marital status didn't change. Why is the CRA asking my husband to pay something I was eligible to receive? The only thing that changed was our SIN (we created a new account and linked both SINs, old and new, to retrieve the information from previous years).

Any ideas of why this is happening and what should we do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When you have filed your past tax returns, have you declared each other's income (e.g. has your husband declared your income in his tax return)?

sbjuliana

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We always file the tax return together, we always state we are husband and wife. We never did anything different.

I assume this is a mistake from them due to the new SIN. On my husband's CRA account, it says we're married since 2015 (the year we first file our taxes). On my account, it says we're married since 2017 oO Doesn't make sense. We'll try calling CRA to understand what happened.

jtolani25

Mar 24, 2019
Hi a weird thing happened to me and my husband recently.

We are in Canada since 2015. First, as temporary worker/student. This year, we got our PR and a new SIN. We always file our taxes (since 2016), and we always reported ourselves as married.

We have a joint account at the bank and this year we received GST and an Alberta benefit. I received a message from the CRA saying I was eligible for those benefits. Ok so far.

But my husband got a new message saying he is no longer eligible because I'm the main applicant and asking him to pay the CRA back. They are asking him to pay the exact same amount we received for both GST and the Alberta benefit.

This does not make sense to me since our marital status didn't change. Why is the CRA asking my husband to pay something I was eligible to receive? The only thing that changed was our SIN (we created a new account and linked both SINs, old and new, to retrieve the information from previous years).

Any ideas of why this is happening and what should we do?
Hi,

Just wanted to ask what happened next as this happened to me. After changing SIN, the request came in to pay everything back?