+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NO LMO required to apply a work permit, if you are a Provincial Nominee

yjcool1

Feb 24, 2012
Hi there,

I recently found something on CIC website that I think it is quite useful to share with people have similar situation as me.

I hold PGWP expiring in May 2012 and I'm applying a LMO through my employer because I need to apply a new work permit. But I just found out that I may not need to apply for a LMO, because of this:

********Working temporarily in Canada: Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion*******
*********Workers nominated by a province for permanent residence
A person who has been nominated by a province for permanent residence and has a job offer from an employer based in that province.

I applied my permanent resident through Provincial Nominee Alberta and it is approved, so I can apply my new work permit directly without applying LMO first, according to this rule. (((((w3.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp)))))

I'm almost 100% sure it is true, can someone please comment on this?

thanks
Jay

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
Yes, my sister was nominated for PNP and got a two-year work permit without an LMO.

miyako_cat

Mar 19, 2012
I've already sent my PNP Letter along with my PR application last year. While I am waiting for the results of my PR application, can I use my expired PNP letter to extend my work permit instead of LMO. Or is it a different document from PNP I need to extend the work permit.

miyako_cat

Mar 19, 2012
Just called Immigrate to Alberta Information Serivce and get reassure about using PNP to extend work permit.
They said even though there is an expiry date on the PNP confirmation letter, the expiry date only apply for the PR application.
Therefore, you can still send a photocopy of the (expried) PNP Letter to extend your work permit without the LMO.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was trying to read through the forms for the AINP but cannot find any reference to a sort of 'letter of support' which will have to come from AINP. I has a sort of 'exemption' as having been nominated by the NSNP under the worker's stream, in one of the forms I filled in, there was a section wherein the NSNP can write a letter of support for getting a WP if needed. I asked for this and was provided a separate letter and this was used in getting an exemption from getting an LMO. So I applied for a WP technically without an LMO, but with the 'letter of support' from NSNP. Note - I already has arranged employment and part of my employer's forms indicated support for my immediate start of work. So I would think both you and your employer must work together to establish the immediate/urgency of you starting work for them and it should be stated so in the PNP application forms.

Hope this helps.