+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No last name on Passport

RAVALI CHUKKA

Jun 20, 2011
Just a quick question in regards to no last name on passport. Can I add the last name on the passport in middle of PR processing? My dad got the PPR and then he realised there is no last name on the passport, instead everything is writtern as first name. Can he reapply the passport and change it now?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a quick question in regards to no last name on passport. Can I add the last name on the passport in middle of PR processing? My dad got the PPR and then he realised there is no last name on the passport, instead everything is writtern as first name. Can he reapply the passport and change it now?
But he has no surname.

RAVALI CHUKKA

Jun 20, 2011
But he has no surname.
He has surname but it did not print on the passport. The surname on the passport is blank, instead his given name has both surname and given name. Example, his Surname: ABC, Given name:XYZ. On the Passport, it is Surname: blank , Given name: ABC XYZ.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He has surname but it did not print on the passport. The surname on the passport is blank, instead his given name has both surname and given name. Example, his Surname: ABC, Given name:XYZ. On the Passport, it is Surname: blank , Given name: ABC XYZ.
Clear as mud... Should really changed his name to George Bush (for example).

RAVALI CHUKKA

Jun 20, 2011
Clear as mud... Should really changed his name to George Bush (for example).
We just realised now that it was printed wrong. It is okay to change now as he got his passport submission request now? Or would it cause any problem to change it now ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
IRCC will generally move the ENTIRE given name to the surname field if there is no surname on the foreign passport, and I believe mark XXX on the given name field.

They will not leave surname blank.

Up to you. If he got PPR that leaves only 30 days to get a new passport and send it to visa office. If he can do it in that period, I don't think it would be a problem, but I cannot say for certain.

He shoudl include either a legal name change document or a letter of explanation about why the name is different - I think the latter would be accepted if in a country where this type of change is common (i.e. it's not considered a legal change of name but an administrative correction or something similar).

shawn.s

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
In case you do not use a surname - leave the "Surname" column blank and write your full name in "Applicant's Given Name" column.
this is confidently incorrect info. IRCC explicitly states to mention whole name in surname field and leave given name blank. so much so that given name is not a mandatory field, but surname is.