+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No Kids? Provide heaps more evidence

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not trying to be rude but I think you are being overly sensitive because of your infertility struggles. Other couples that decided not to have children may have no problem with the questions. I don't think it is a huge issue but if you want to spend your time petitioning the government to change things go ahead.
Nah I'm not sensitive about it (my wife may be), I made my piece with it long ago. We are currently not even trying to have kids. It's not the be all end all, I'm just curious how to change it. I know as Canadians we often take things lying down, I know we can make thing better, I've seen it.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Nah I'm not sensitive about it (my wife may be), I made my piece with it long ago. We are currently not even trying to have kids. It's not the be all end all, I'm just curious how to change it. I know as Canadians we often take things lying down, I know we can make thing better, I've seen it.
So petition it then.

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't agree with what you're saying but I see the point you're making.

I believe the one other thing you would look into doing other than MP is initiating a petition. I could be wrong, but I know others have done this in the past. Not saying it's a good use of time just from a perspective of whether or not it would even be seen or actioned, but it could be something to look into. I admit I'm not overly familiar with the petition process, though.
A petition is a good idea, doesn't take up too much time. I'm wondering if IRCC have a comments or complaints portal? This kind of change wouldn't require a change to immigration law, as it would be a bureaucratic change and not a fundamental change to the requirements for PR. Does a portal exist, or is that asking waaaaaay too much of IRCC? ;-)

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
A petition is a good idea, doesn't take up too much time. I'm wondering if IRCC have a comments or complaints portal? This kind of change wouldn't require a change to immigration law, as it would be a bureaucratic change and not a fundamental change to the requirements for PR. Does a portal exist, or is that asking waaaaaay too much of IRCC? ;-)
You could use the web form but they're not going to make any changes because of one complaint.

You'd need more steam behind it I imagine by way of petition and even then you may get nowhere (but no way to know)

Reactions: mpottier

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Even though we answered yes to all the questions bar the kids one I didn’t find it particularly hard to provide the additional evidence, or feel penalized for not having children together (either through choice or fertility problems). We were still processed in just over 11 months. I think the new streamlined process is working very well now, it was way harder to work through the application process before prior to the changes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You could criticize all the applications. For example is is fair to ask 2 men in a same sex relationship about children when they can't physically have their own children? Then others would say that it is unfair not to assume that 2 men don't have their own children. Creating an application process is difficult so that is why applications are considered based on the whole picture. Is it fair that some couples have a faster processing time because they are from countries where immigration fraud is not a big issue? Knock yourself out trying to change things but don't waste too much of your energy. There are much bigger problems in the world:)

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could criticize all the applications. For example is is fair to ask 2 men in a same sex relationship about children when they can't physically have their own children? Then others would say that it is unfair not to assume that 2 men don't have their own children. Creating an application process is difficult so that is why applications are considered based on the whole picture. Is it fair that some couples have a faster processing time because they are from countries where immigration fraud is not a big issue? Knock yourself out trying to change things but don't waste too much of your energy. There are much bigger problems in the world:)
I don't think it is fair that some countries have slower processing times. I can certainly scrutinize this issue without taking away from other issues. I'm also really surprised that the LGBT community haven't honed in on this. I think the kids question is an old question that has been missed. They could easily replace it with another question. I guess making an app is hard when you have so many vestigial rules and regulations. But honestly, the IRCC is historically awful at making apps, I don't think they generally have the top brass design these. I've completed a lot of applications in my time, and even designed some, but IRCC takes the cake for application theatre. I think this community did a god job reducing obscene wait times over the last few years, I think bringing these types of things to light is energy well spent if it makes life easier for the people coming up behind (no matter how small the change) :)

Reactions: monkeys89

Attak

Dec 29, 2016
Most couples apply soon after marriage and not 10 years later so you are not the typical applicant. We've seen many relationships questioned when couples have kids. I understand your annoyance but the forms or only part of the overall picture.
I have kid with my sponsor yet cic has a question about our relationship and l intend to respond in the event of they granting interview. So l generally think having kid or no kid is not what they are looking for . I believe most of the time it is the discretion of the officers to either deny or grant approval of PR