+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No Immigration guys

visitor

May 9, 2008
Hello-

I have recently visited Canada.
In the plane, there was this embarkment form which I filled up. After landing in canada, I had to face the custom guys where they asked me few questions. Then he made a line in the visa with a marker and gave a seal which included the date. After that, I went to the luggage collecting section and then left the airport.

But, I didn't have to go through the immigration officers and thus I didn't have any expirty date of visa in my passport. I returned after 1 week back to my country.

Don't we have to go through the immigration for visiting purpose?
thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

visitor said:
Hello-

I have recently visited Canada.
In the plane, there was this embarkment form which I filled up. After landing in canada, I had to face the custom guys where they asked me few questions. Then he made a line in the visa with a marker and gave a seal which included the date. After that, I went to the luggage collecting section and then left the airport.

But, I didn't have to go through the immigration officers and thus I didn't have any expirty date of visa in my passport. I returned after 1 week back to my country.

Don't we have to go through the immigration for visiting purpose?
thanks.
You did, its called primary inspection, Immigration and Customs are now combined in one agency at Ports of Entry, Canadian Border Security Agency. The primary does both customs and immigration with straight forward cases. In your case you had a TRV so you were admitted for 6 months, as no date was placed under the stamp. If there appeared to be a problem you would have been sent to either Immigration Secondary or Customs Secondary where you would have been interviewed more thoroughly.

PMM

Hey PMM

what happens in secondary customs/Immgration secondary? never heard of this; Interviewed more seriously and stay in a cell? type deal?

Also, don't know if you can answer this; but are the immigration henchman RCMP? or are they part of CIC???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Graeme said:
Hey PMM

what happens in secondary customs/Immgration secondary? never heard of this; Interviewed more seriously and stay in a cell? type deal?

Also, don't know if you can answer this; but are the immigration henchman RCMP? or are they part of CIC???
1. Used to be 2 departments at airports/borders

up to about 2 years ago, Customs did the primary examination, the guys at the counter. If it was an Immigration matter, ie inadmissible, landing, work/visitor/student, it was referred to Immigration secondary, which was staffed by CIC staff. Yes there are cells there and there is a detention centre at the airport, holds about 30 bodies at a time. Customs secondary is where you are sent if you are an immigrant with goods to follow, or they believe that you are smuggling. They also have cells and rubber gloves. CBSA are peace officer for the Customs and Immigration Act (others as well) and have the powers of arrest and detention. The RCMP have an investigative section called Immigration and Passport as well as a customs section. There are also CBSA officers working the Ports and the 3 International Mail Depots. It is a very large department. There is investigation sections for both Immigration and Customs inland, who are responsible (Immigration side) for investigations, reports and arrests of illegal immigrants.

PMM