+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nigerians that have applied for Federal Skilled Workers 2013 program

oladelemary

Star Member
Mar 6, 2015
Happy new year peeps,

Gone thru lots of posts on this page .......I observed a halt in people talking about concession fares being offered by IOM ( institute of migration).

Has IOM stopped the "subsidy" :D?

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
oladelemary said:
Happy new year peeps,

Gone thru lots of posts on this page .......I observed a halt in people talking about concession fares being offered by IOM ( institute of migration).

Has IOM stopped the "subsidy" :D?
No halt really, people discovered they were able to get cheap tickets directly from the airlines so need going through IOM and waiting up to 2 weeks :)

chuka2003

Sep 28, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
12-09-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2014
LANDED..........
10-12-2014
#reposting from another thread.

Hi guys... been away for almost a year now.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record just in case someone has touched on this topic before; but I doubt if the knowledge would harm anyone.

A good friend of mine planning on landing in Canada asked for my honest opinion of how it has been for us since we landed just over a year ago. I can honestly understand where this question is coming from. Plucking your family and life style from the relative secure known of living in Lagos and shipping off to the great unknown of Canada can be quite daunting. What makes it worse is that no one seems to give an honest account of what really goes on. You tend to get responses like "it's ok" or "God has been faithful". Personally, such responses frighten the hell out of me. Thank God for threads and forums like this.

I have a friend of mine who just moved with his family from 9ja to Calgary here, back in September 2015. My guy came to Canada with no illusions; he landed alone (his family came 2 weeks after him). He stayed at my place for 2-3 days, rented a decent budget home close to downtown (I will talk about budget later), moved in and got a job at Walmart a week later (his reasoning - it doesn't make sense to spend his savings in Naira on dollarized items, he needed to earn dollars). Just before his family landed, he got certified as a security personnel (Security guys earn fair amount with relative little input as compared to a Walmart job... lol and if you are lucky to be on night shift, you have enough time to read for your exams). All these while he searches for a job in line with his previous work experience. Did I forget to tell you that my guy is an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in the Nigeria's financial sector. The man has worked for the biggest banking brands in Nigeria.

Yesterday, he joked about a conversation he had with a Canadian woman who he happened to have had dealings in Nigeria. The Canadian lady is conversant with Nigeria having trained IT professionals in Lagos on numerous occasions. The lady told him to be open minded in his search for a job; take any job; anywhere in Canada; that he should leave his family and go if necessary. But he should bear in mind that he would most likely be sacked before 3 months. He shouldn't take it personal; that most Nigerians struggle because of the difference in work cultures (I'd talk about the Canadian work culture, also later). We all laughed because he got sacked from Walmart exactly 3 months into the job. He currently works with his security licence and is studying for his professional exams. The beauty of this story is that my guy now has Canadian work experience - which so invaluable over here.

Most immigrants here, whether they tell you or not, worked in "transition" jobs for about 6 months to 1 year before getting that job similar to what they were doing back home. On the average, it takes between 2-3 years to get back to the job status at which you were before you landed in Canada. Once you get there, there's no turning back. It's really bliss from there on. Personally, I think the 2-3 years is worth it anytime, any day. There are very few societies that give you the opportunities, peace of mind and security.. I am yet to meet a Permanent Resident who regrets being in Canada.

If you are thinking of coming to Canada, please come with a similar mindset to that of my good friend; else you will be quite disappointed. Those dream jobs are not lined on the street on Canada. Yes, I know a couple of guys that got great jobs within weeks of landing - I tell conveniently tell you that those are the exception.

Plan. I can't overemphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan.

Plan for employment upgrading programmes, certifications et al;

Plan for your drivers license; plan to buy a car. This is a must; don't even think you can do without it. Luckily, there are auctions around where you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD. I'm talking about 2002 to 2006 models. Please just buy it even if the intention is to use it till you settle down. My advise is to go for Japanese, Toyota or Honda; so you send home to 9ja after you have finished with it (or bought that range rover as a replacement) and make your money back :p :p :p. Another friend of mind was lucky to buy a 2008 Toyota Sienna - full options - for less than $5,000. Again, these are the exceptions. You can also shop for cars on Kijiji.com

Talking about kijiji; you can practically get your furniture free on kijiji. You just have to look hard. My advise again based on experience; don't start acquiring too much junk before you move to your own house (yeah, owning your house is possible with only 6 months into your job). Moving can be stressful.

Plan your budget.

Liss

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Doc's Request.
02-09-2015
Nomination.....
09-01-2015
AOR Received.
09-01-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
09-01-2015
Med's Request
21-09-2015
Med's Done....
29-09-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Invaluable information!

Chuka2003, thank you :-*

Eagerly awaiting the next episode of the information series. God Bless

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chuka2003 said:
#reposting from another thread.

Hi guys... been away for almost a year now.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record just in case someone has touched on this topic before; but I doubt if the knowledge would harm anyone.

A good friend of mine planning on landing in Canada asked for my honest opinion of how it has been for us since we landed just over a year ago. I can honestly understand where this question is coming from. Plucking your family and life style from the relative secure known of living in Lagos and shipping off to the great unknown of Canada can be quite daunting. What makes it worse is that no one seems to give an honest account of what really goes on. You tend to get responses like "it's ok" or "God has been faithful". Personally, such responses frighten the hell out of me. Thank God for threads and forums like this.

I have a friend of mine who just moved with his family from 9ja to Calgary here, back in September 2015. My guy came to Canada with no illusions; he landed alone (his family came 2 weeks after him). He stayed at my place for 2-3 days, rented a decent budget home close to downtown (I will talk about budget later), moved in and got a job at Walmart a week later (his reasoning - it doesn't make sense to spend his savings in Naira on dollarized items, he needed to earn dollars). Just before his family landed, he got certified as a security personnel (Security guys earn fair amount with relative little input as compared to a Walmart job... lol and if you are lucky to be on night shift, you have enough time to read for your exams). All these while he searches for a job in line with his previous work experience. Did I forget to tell you that my guy is an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in the Nigeria's financial sector. The man has worked for the biggest banking brands in Nigeria.

Yesterday, he joked about a conversation he had with a Canadian woman who he happened to have had dealings in Nigeria. The Canadian lady is conversant with Nigeria having trained IT professionals in Lagos on numerous occasions. The lady told him to be open minded in his search for a job; take any job; anywhere in Canada; that he should leave his family and go if necessary. But he should bear in mind that he would most likely be sacked before 3 months. He shouldn't take it personal; that most Nigerians struggle because of the difference in work cultures (I'd talk about the Canadian work culture, also later). We all laughed because he got sacked from Walmart exactly 3 months into the job. He currently works with his security licence and is studying for his professional exams. The beauty of this story is that my guy now has Canadian work experience - which so invaluable over here.

Most immigrants here, whether they tell you or not, worked in "transition" jobs for about 6 months to 1 year before getting that job similar to what they were doing back home. On the average, it takes between 2-3 years to get back to the job status at which you were before you landed in Canada. Once you get there, there's no turning back. It's really bliss from there on. Personally, I think the 2-3 years is worth it anytime, any day. There are very few societies that give you the opportunities, peace of mind and security.. I am yet to meet a Permanent Resident who regrets being in Canada.

If you are thinking of coming to Canada, please come with a similar mindset to that of my good friend; else you will be quite disappointed. Those dream jobs are not lined on the street on Canada. Yes, I know a couple of guys that got great jobs within weeks of landing - I tell conveniently tell you that those are the exception.

Plan. I can't overemphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan.

Plan for employment upgrading programmes, certifications et al;

Plan for your drivers license; plan to buy a car. This is a must; don't even think you can do without it. Luckily, there are auctions around where you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD. I'm talking about 2002 to 2006 models. Please just buy it even if the intention is to use it till you settle down. My advise is to go for Japanese, Toyota or Honda; so you send home to 9ja after you have finished with it (or bought that range rover as a replacement) and make your money back :p :p :p. Another friend of mind was lucky to buy a 2008 Toyota Sienna - full options - for less than $5,000. Again, these are the exceptions. You can also shop for cars on Kijiji.com

Talking about kijiji; you can practically get your furniture free on kijiji. You just have to look hard. My advise again based on experience; don't start acquiring too much junk before you move to your own house (yeah, owning your house is possible with only 6 months into your job). Moving can be stressful.

Plan your budget.

Nice piece from you. We hope to read from so many of us that used to be very active in this forum.

chuka2003

Sep 28, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
12-09-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2014
LANDED..........
10-12-2014
As a follow up to my last post...

Hi guys,

I just thought that I should share what my monthly budget is; just to give you an idea of what to expect in monetary terms. Please note that this is not cast in stone. Depending on how deep your pocket is, you can either go higher or lower.

I stay in Calgary; Calgary is comparatively more expensive to live in than say, a Saint John's and likewise, it's cheaper (I heard, I can't at the moment confirm but someone can correct me if otherwise) than a Toronto. That said, in Calgary - save for this crude oil price crisis - you tend to earn more than a resident of Saint John's. Whatever the case, your total expected family income will most definitely take care of your needs. Like I said in my earlier post, you will need to plan, plan, plan. Here's my budget. I hope it aids in your planning process

SN Cost Item Monthly Amount (CAD$)
1 Rent of 2 Bedroom Condo Apartment (All Utilities Inclusive) $1,400.00
2 Daycare/Afterschool care for 1 Preschooler and 1 Kindergarten kid from 7am to 5.45pm (After Government Subsidy) $600.00
3 Monthly Transport Pass. You will need two when you first land (This amount drops to $40 after you file as low income) $100.00
4 Feeding and other related expenses for a family of 4 $500.00
5 Cable TV, Internet & Landline (Shaw) $65.00
6 2 nos of Wind Mobile Phone Subscription (Unlimited Canada-Wide Voice, SMS and Data) $86.00
7 YMCA Family Centre Registration (Family has access to gym, swimming pool, swimming classes and other sport activities) $30.00
8 Fuel (Gas for your car) $100.00
9 Car Insurance $85.00
Monthly Total CAD $2,966.00
Annual Total CAD $35,592.00

Budget somewhere around CAD$1,000 for the following;
TV (unless you want restless children that will make you regret leaving Nigeria)
Pots (16 piece set)
Plates and mugs (set of 4)
Kids plates, spoons and cups
Vacuum Cleaner
Deep Fryer
Toaster
House Phone box

It can be saddening realizing that you had all these stuff in Nigeria and you now have to buy them all again. Hmmmm... and this brings me to another topic.

Sell everything you have in Nigeria. Don't think about giving them out; the government of Canada is not going to replace all those stuff. Sell 'em and keep the money to use to replace them when you get here.

One last missing piece; plan for your car; very important. Like I said in my earlier post, you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD at a local auction. Shine your eye sha... this is Canada, not heaven. There are still some funny characters here who might want to pull a fast one. Best to go along with an older landed 9ja person. Japanese is the way; better resale value here in Canada and back home in Nigeria. My plan is to use a good Japanese car, preferably a Honda or Toyota for about 2-3 years then ship it to 9ja as "tokunbo". I can guarantee that you will make your initial capital back (in dollars) even after enjoying the car for 3 years. No one advised me better when I got here and I ended up with a Mazda - a great car but more expensive than I would have wanted - and i definitely can't get value for it here or in 9ja after 3 years.

Stuff like beds; you can get those free through your local immigration services; they referred us to SleepCountry (their version of Mouka Foam) and we got 2 free matresss and bed sets. You can actually get up to 4 sets (depending on your family size). Furniture is easy; just actively search on kijiji, you will definitely find those free. Don't acquire too much stuff or else you will regret when trying to move or dispose of them (you have to pay to dispose furniture and appliances; that's why people advertise to give out their things free of charge, else they have to pay to dispose 'em).

Plan, plan, plan... i can't overemphasize enough!!!!

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Beginner's Guide to Surviving a Canadian Winter
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Canadians! It's time to get out your big boots, turn up your collars and jam your hands into your mittens! Winter is upon us!

Every year, it's the same cycle. Maybe this year will be different, we think as the snow gently wafts down around us. Maybe it won't get so cold. Maybe it will only snow in gorgeous, picturesque fields, perfect for snowmen and snow angels. Maybe the driveway will shovel itself, the buses will still run on time, and we all won't get low-grade colds that get passed around the office. Maybe this year will be different.

Obviously, we're kidding ourselves. Canadian winters are always a little tougher than we expect. We've been relatively lucky in Toronto so far this year, and the snow has contained itself to inoffensive little flurries that melt when they hit the ground. Despite long-range forecasts that predict arctic winds for the West Coast and heavy snows for Ontario, the country has mostly been spared anything horrible... so far.

So, in the interest of having a safe and short-feeling winter, here are some tips to getting to April with your sanity still intact.

Keep exercising. It's so tempting to curl up on the couch with a bucket of artichoke dip and wave away anyone who suggests that maybe your new slugging agenda is bad for the arteries, but movement is so important to our health. The gym may be less appealing in the cold, dark days, but experts suggest getting at least 40 minutes of heart rate-raising activity each day. Get off the bus a few stops early and walk the rest of the way home. Book a weekend ski weekend with your college friends. Take the kids sledding. Hell, get a jump rope and skip in your garage. Exercise is good for your muscles, sure, but it also helps keeps the winter blahs away, and you won't be so horrified by your reflection come time for bike shorts weather in the spring.

It can feel impossible to eat like a rational human being in the face of holiday parties and buffets, but it can be done. Identify the foods you usually gorge on -- for my sister, it's gravy; for me, it's chocolate and cheese -- and keep a watchful eye on your intake. Make sure you get veggies along with your turkey, and keep your portions in the realm of the sane. I usually have a small snack before I go to holiday parties -- an apple fills up stomach space that would be otherwise occupied by cookies. Mmm. Cookies.

Plan a holiday. There's a tendency to go into hibernation mode between Christmas and spring, but allotting some time to get away for a weekend breaks up the monotony of endless gray days. If you can afford it, head south -- the longer days and warmer temperatures can perk up even the dullest-feeling SAD-sufferer. If you can't take the time or spend the cash, do a short-range trip: a trip to a secluded B&B that offers snowshoes, or a big city for a special concert. Even playing hooky from work one afternoon to hit a museum or a spa can give you that vacation glow.

Winter often feels like an uninspiring time of the year, so plan some projects. if you're going to be trapped inside -- except for those daily walks! -- at least don't give in to the temptations of the screens, both computer and TV. Plot out your novel, throw a party, paint the bathroom, try baking a cheesecake, or make the great Canadian winter short film. Head to your local library or bookstore for inspiration -- you might be your neighbourhood's newest authority on Danish dance music, or re-caning chairs, or hybrid car maintenance. If you are going to watch loads of TV -- I'm not your mom; you can do whatever you like -- knitting is a soothing accompaniment, and at the end of it, you have a scarf.

When you're heading out, remember that Canadian winters are notorious for their unpredictability. Give yourself time to get where you're going -- traffic will be slower than in July, the streetcars will be delayed, and it will take longer to suit up for the commute. Building in the extra time to get where you're going can help cut down on abashed "I'm going to be late" calls to work, and you'll end up feeling more accomplished and smarter.

The most important thing to remember is that eventually, it will end. While winters here feel interminable, we look forward to the spring with a passion bordering on lunacy. So enjoy the change of seasons -- the first snowfall is always sort of magical, no matter how old you are -- and know that, in a few short months, the leaves will be unfurling and the crocuses will be poking up through that last late snowfall. Nothing lasts forever, not even winters in Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kaitlyn-kochany/survive-canadian-winter_b_1139250.html

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIBC cuts Canada's economic growth outlook to 1.3% for 2016
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

■Smaller Alberta businesses will slash investment 27% in 2016, survey finds
■Stephen Poloz says Canadians pay the price for low oil as loonie tumbled: Don Pittis
■Bank of Canada holds key interest rate steady at 0.5%

Less than a month into the year, CIBC is downgrading its outlook for the Canadian economy, forecasting growth of just 1.3 per cent, down from an earlier estimate of 1.7 per cent.

A "winter of discontent in investor sentiment globally" has knocked stocks and commodities lower and is reverberating through the Canadian economy in other ways, says CIBC economist Avery Shenfeld.
■Forecasts are fickle — and yet, we love them
■Canada's GDP unchanged in October

He pointed to slower than anticipated growth in the fourth quarter of 2015, forecasting growth for the final quarter will be zero.

The 1.3 per cent growth after inflation is stripped out forecast by CIBC is more pessimistic than the 1.4 per cent predicted by the Bank of Canada in a report last week.

Counting on federal stimulus

"Even to achieve that pace, we're allowing for an additional $10 billion in stimulus relative to the election platform and $30 billion in federal deficit and a slightly weaker track for the Canadian dollar," Shenfeld said in a report to clients.

Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz opted not to cut rates further last week, which some analysts interpreted as evidence that Poloz is waiting to gauge the impact of a federal stimulus budget.

The Liberal government has proposed billions in infrastructure spending in an effort to push up economic growth.

The low dollar is expected to boost jobs in export-oriented sectors.

Shenfeld says Canada is only just beginning to discover the negative spillover effects of low oil prices in other sectors.

Job losses spread

The Scotiabank Commodity Price Index showed downturns across base metals and other commodities as well as oil, coming in 4.9 per cent lower than the previous year. In the year to December, oil prices were down about 40 per cent, leading to an expectation that drilling in Canada would decline by about 15 per cent in 2016, according to Scotiabank commodity analyst Patricia Mohr.

That could result in job losses in sectors such as transportation and equipment that supply the resource sector, as well as consumer spending and housing markets.

Shenfeld said he is concerned about how employees laid off in the resource sector will find work.

But he said markets may have overdosed on pessimism with their steep drop in January.

Shenfeld saw hope in 2016 U.S. growth as American companies are hiring and that could mean good news for Canada.

He discounted the impact of the plunge in Chinese equities, saying the rising Shanghai market had no impact on Canada and there's no reason its fall, or the reevaluation of the yuan, should affect us now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc-canada-economy-1.3423856

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian Economy to Remain Sluggish Through 2016, but no Recession
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA, Feb. 4, 2016 /CNW/ - The Conference Board of Canada is downgrading its 2016 growth forecast for Canada as the economy continues to suffer from the further deterioration in oil prices. The Conference Board's Canadian Outlook: Winter 2016 estimates that the economy grew by 1.2 per cent in 2015 and is forecast to grow by just 1.7 per cent in 2016.

"Although much of the recent weakness was contained to the energy sector, other areas of the economy, such as household spending, exports and manufacturing have failed to pick up the slack," said Matthew Stewart, Associate Director, National Forecast. "Stronger economic growth will not happen until next year when a recovery in the non-energy sector is finally expected to take hold."

HIGHLIGHTS

•The Canadian economy will remain sluggish through 2016, with expected growth of 1.7 per cent.
•With oil supply expected to outpace demand this year and next, oil prices will likely remain below US$50 a barrel until the end of 2017.
•Business investment will see a third consecutive year of decline, led by large cuts in the energy sector.

World oil prices are expected to increase from their January average of under US$30 per barrel, mainly because of cuts in U.S. production expected this year. However, with inventories continuing to rise, world oil prices are not forecast to exceed $40 this year. Given the persistently low prices, oil firms are expected to cut their real capital spending budgets by 16 per cent in 2016 following a 24 per cent reduction last year.

However, falling business investment will not be contained to the energy sector. Building construction is expected to decline this year due to sluggish demand and rising vacancy rates. At the same time, machinery and equipment spending has been hampered by weak business confidence, sluggish global growth and the impact of a weak loonie on businesses' ability to purchase foreign machinery. In all, real business investment is expected to fall by 2.4 per cent in 2016.

Consumer spending has been one of the main drivers of economic growth over the last several years. However, faced with another year of weak employment and disposable income gains, combined with record high debt levels, Canadians will be hard pressed to open their wallets further in 2016. Overall, real consumer spending is expected to rise by 1.9 per cent this year.

Following a disappointing 2015, high hopes continue to be placed on the trade sector to fuel Canada's economy. Despite the export sector's sporadic performance, the weak Canadian dollar and stronger U.S. economy will allow the trade sector to contribute to overall economic growth in 2016. Export volumes are forecast to expand by 2.5 per cent in 2016, adding 0.6 percentage points to the Canadian economy.

Another area that is expected to provide a boost to Canada's outlook is the public sector. The new federal government is expected to pump around $10 billion into the economy in fiscal years 2016-17 and 2017-18. This adds about 0.3 per cent to real GDP growth this year.

Glen Hodgson, the Conference Board's Senior Vice-President and Chief Economist, will present his analysis of the latest economic numbers for Canada, its provinces, the United States, and the world at a live webinar on February 17, 2016 at 02:00 PM EST.

Follow The Conference Board of Canada on Twitter.

For those interested in broadcast-quality interviews for your station, network, or online site, The Conference Board of Canada now has a studio capable of double-ender interviews (line fees apply), or we can send you pre-taped clips upon request.

If you would like to be removed from our distribution list, please e-mail corpcomm@conferenceboard.ca.

SOURCE Conference Board of Canada

For further information: Yvonne Squires, Media Relations, The Conference Board of Canada, Tel.: 613- 526-3090 ext. 221, E-mail: corpcomm@conferenceboard.ca; or Juline Ranger, Director of Communications, The Conference Board of Canada, Tel.: 613- 526-3090 ext. 431, E-mail: corpcomm@conferenceboard.ca

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadian-economy-to-remain-sluggish-through-2016-but-no-recession-567647251.html

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manitoba's economy to thrive in 2016: Conference Board of Canada
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manitoba is poised to be among Canada's leaders in economic growth in the next two years.

The province is expected to have the second-fastest growing economy in the country in 2016, just behind British Columbia, then follow that up with an even stronger 2017, according to the Conference Board of Canada.

The CBOC, which released its provincial outlook report on Monday, said Manitoba's economy should see real GDP growth of 2.5 per cent in 2016 and 3.0 per cent in 2017.

"Manitoba will be one of the country's strongest economic performers in 2016, thanks to healthy growth across key sectors, such as construction, manufacturing and service industries," said Marie-Christine Bernard, associate director with the board.

Que Plan Nord 20120228
The manufacturing sector in Manitoba is expected to grow by 1.9 per cent in 2015 and 3.4 per cent in 2016. (Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press)

Production at two new mines is ramping up, boosting output in metal mining, while "all the key segments of the province's manufacturing sector are expected to benefit from the lower Canadian dollar and a stronger U.S. economy," the report states.

The manufacturing sector is expected to grow by 1.9 per cent in 2015 and 3.4 per cent in 2016.

As well, construction is booming in the province and will continue to do so as work ramps up on Manitoba Hydro projects and the rolling out of the provincial government's infrastructure plan, according to the CBOC.
■Manitoba Hydro signs 20-year deal with SaskPower
■​Keeyask hydro project gets OK from environment commission

Growth in that sector is expected to reach 1.4 per cent in 2016 and steadily increase over the next two years.

Other highlights include:
■Bright spots in the services sector include transportation and warehousing, which is expected to post gains of 2.5 per cent for 2015 and 2016, and 4.1 per cent in 2017.
■The finance, insurance and real estate sector is also performing well with gains forecast to average 3.4 per cent in 2016 and 2017.
■Employment is expected to rise by 1.3 per cent in 2016 and 1.8 per cent in 2017.

British Columbia is anticipated to lead the country with 3.6 per cent growth in 2016, thanks to strong construction and housing sectors.

Alberta and Saskatchewan will continue to feel the pain from the difficulties in the energy sector, but neither will be in recession in 2016, the CBOC said.

Saskatchewan should bounce out of its recession with two per cent GDP growth in 2016, while Alberta is forecasted to see real GDP growth of 1.2 per cent in 2016 after the economy shrank by 1.2 per cent this year.

The Conference Board said low oil prices led to a 15.2 per cent drop in energy investments this year in Alberta and will mean $11 billion less in the province's economy by the end of 2016.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-s-economy-to-thrive-in-2016-conference-board-of-canada-1.3354202

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alberta economy now projected to shrink — again — in 2016: ATB Financial
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alberta is headed for a second consecutive year of economic contraction, according to ATB Financial's latest outlook, released Thursday morning.

The province's economy shrunk by one per cent in 2015, according to the report, and a smaller contraction of 0.5 per cent is now forecast for 2016.

That's quite a change from its previous forecast — issued just three months earlier — in which ATB was projecting economic growth of 1.4 per cent for Alberta in 2016.
■MORE CALGARY NEWS | Real estate could see more 'significant price drops' than CREB forecasts
■MORE CALGARY NEWS | Alberta's economy: beyond the buzzwords, fears and misperceptions

The new report blames the gloomier outlook on 12-year lows in the price of oil and the expectation that those prices won't "recover appreciably for some time."

"This low price environment continues to discourage new investment and spending, and has weighed down employment — not only in the oil patch, but throughout most sectors of the province," the report reads.

It adds that unemployment in Alberta is forecast to rise as high as 7.5 per cent by spring or summer but is "less likely to rise above eight or nine per cent."

The outlook does say that other major industries in Alberta, such as agriculture, forestry and tourism, should continue to perform well this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-economy-shrink-2016-q1-atb-outlook-1.3403674

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
B.C., Ontario Poised to Drive Canadian Economy in 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO, ON -- A changing of the guard in Canadian growth is well underway, with British Columbia and Ontario poised to be the biggest drivers in a still-sluggish Canadian economy next year, according to new report from the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) and that could force some trucking companies to rethink how they are doing business.

The report calls for British Columbia's economy to grow by 2.8 percent in 2016, the strongest of the provinces and just ahead of Ontario at 2.4 percent growth.

Previously at the top of the heap, Alberta will struggle to recover, with expected growth of only 0.7 percent next year after a 2015 expected contraction of 1.2 per cent.

"Canada's economic path has been sent off course by weakness in global growth, but to an even greater extent than in the national outlook, provincial fortunes have been turned on their head," says Avery Shenfeld, chief economist, CIBC World Markets, who co-authored the report, Provincial Outlook: The Changing of the Guard, with economists Nick Exarhos and Andrew Grantham.

According to Shenfeld, solid growth is in store for the central Canadian and more manufacturing intensive economies of Ontario and Quebec. But, the top spot is reserved for B.C., which has been benefiting the most from overseas investment and from bordering some of the fastest growing areas of the U.S. economy at present.

Before oil prices collapsed, from 2006 to 2014, there was a cumulative 10 percent gap in the gross domestic product between the three energy provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland & Labrador and the rest of Canada. That gap has been diminishing, and over the next two years, it will narrow further, the report says.

Overall, the Canadian economy is forecast to rebound to 1.9 percent real growth in 2016 and 2.1 per cent in 2017 from a projected 1.1 per cent this year.

"Much of the downshift in national GDP has captured the steep retreat in capital spending in mining, oil and gas over the past year, and 2016 could see a less-dramatic but still negative trend in that sector," says Shenfeld.

Negative multiplier effects from energy-centered layoffs will persist into 2016 in such areas as retailing and commercial real estate development, but with energy activity starting from a lower level already, while it will still weigh on Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland & Labrador, it will do less damage to the national GDP growth rate, the report says.

Offsetting some of the weakness in the oil patch will be the economic lift from a weaker Canadian dollar and the first leg of increased federal infrastructure spending.

While federal infrastructure dollars have yet to be allocated, Ontario, British Columbia and Nova Scotia can all make a case that they have the most ground to make up in infrastructure spending, the report says. Defense expenditures will also help Nova Scotia outperform other provinces in Atlantic Canada as shipbuilding activity ramps up.

Provincial infrastructure spending in Alberta should help tip its economy into positive territory next year. "But down the road, the province hopes that a return to energy sector activity arrives in time to counter future fiscal restraint," Shenfeld says.

The now-weaker Canadian dollar should buttress manufacturing output, with Ontario and Quebec being the greatest beneficiaries, not only in export volumes today but over time, with new or expanded plants.

Less discussed is the soft loonie's stimulative impact on tourism, the report says. "There, B.C. and P.E.I. stand as the provinces with largest share of GDP in that potentially winning sector and other provinces could benefit to a lesser extent from decreased cross-border shopping," say Shenfeld.

The changing of the provincial guard in growth leadership will still leave one key trend in place, however.

The less-energy-centered provinces in Atlantic Canada aren't going to completely shed their status as slower trending regions, the report says.

"Demographics are destiny over the medium term, and declining working-age populations in Atlantic Canada underlie their soft potential and actual growth rates since 2006," says Shenfeld. "In that region, as little as 1 percent GDP growth can represent a good year in terms of its impact on the unemployment rate."

http://www.todaystrucking.com/bc-ontario-poised-to-drive-canadian-economy-in-2016