+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nigerian based in the UK with BCPNP nomination

darksaber

Jul 18, 2018
Hi, so this isn't me - I am Austrian based in BC, but a friend is looking to see what his next steps are and I am trying to help.

Scenario:
- Nigerian citizen
- Currently in the UK
- Received BCPNP nomination in late October 2019

Questions:
1. Does this person need both a visitor visa and work permit or will a work permit suffice for initial entry into Canada?
2. Does the person need to apply in person via a paper based application at a VAC location or will it work online though IRCC as well?
3. If only a work permit is required for entry, will this be able to be issued at a POE considering the person is Nigerian as they have a BCPNP support letter?
3. If a visitors visa is required, can this person then get their work permit issued at a POE once they have received their visitors visa or is this then a subsequent online/in person application?

DMENAX

Mar 4, 2014
The details of action needed would have been in the support letter from BCPNP. It will be more helpful to state how he got the nomination as in most cases, he probably just need to apply for PR.

However, to answer the specific questions
Q1, I doubt if visiting visa will be useful. Work permit may be useful but again, it depends on how nomination was obtained.
Q2, It completely depends on the nomination he got. Was it through EE or Not?
Q3, I highly doubts WP will be issued at POE. He has to travel with something first anyway.
Q4 Doubtful from my knowledge and experience.

darksaber

Jul 18, 2018
I appreciate the response!

The aim is to naturally get him over here and working for the company that provided him the job offer for his BCPNP nomination.

So details of his nomination are:
He applied for a job here, got it and then the company provided him with the documents to apply for BCPNP. That application was successful and he got his nomination letter in October 2019.

Just for my understanding: how does the EE stream affect his chances of getting a work permit? He can always apply for PR from within Canada, so the aim is to get him here ASAP so he can start working.

Does it make a difference what country you come from? or is the distinction eTA/non-eTA the only real scenario? A friend from Argentina was in the same boat and he was able to flagpole and get his work permits at POE.