+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

Hakpoguma

Mar 25, 2012
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8/05/2014 (ie 8th May 2014)
9ja4dLord said:
Beware: Fairly long post. Please pardon me if this is like unnecessary information.

I'm sure we are all waiting for our trip to Canada but are we really getting ready to survive in Canada?

What is your objective of moving to Canada? What do you want to achieve by going to Canada? Are you prepared for the rigors of what it takes to excel in Canada? Or will you come back to this forum some years later to say something like "these Canadians are crooks. The FSW/PNP (or whichever program brought you to Canada) is nothing but second slavery"?

I have been trying to read widely on this forum and I confess tonnes of useful information are lying in different threads on this forum alone. How many have you seen? Or are you just concerned about the timelines and the spreadsheet?
What are you doing presently and what do you intend to do to survive when you land in Canada? What value are you adding to yourself now that will make you more marketable in Canada?

I once met a lady and she was complaining bitterly to me about the difficulty in getting a good job in the US. And by good job she meant a job that would befit her as a graduate from a Nigerian University. She had been in the US for about 6 years when I met her. Towards the end of our discussion, I realized she had (only recently) sent her folks back home in Nigeria to help her request for her transcript and she was doing it for the first time after graduation. She had not furthered her studies in the US in the six years she had been there. I had to ask her how she expected to get any “graduate job” if she had never evaluated her certificate to convince employers that it is the equivalent a BS/BA in the US. These are the people that will talk about the evil and slavery inherent in the American Visa lottery.

I am not saying you WILL get a job once you evaluate your credentials or that there is no discrimination in the Canadian System. I'm not there so I do not have any evidence for or against discrimination, employment rate etc. However, I have noticed that most of the folks that shout the most about the unfairness of the system are those that are least informed , least equipped, least prepared for what they are going to meet in the new place.

So what are you doing to equip yourself for the life in Canada?
Thanks my brother 9ja4dLord. A great write-up!. True talk. Please lets ensure we read between the lines and get ourselves really prepared for the future ahead of us - to realise our Canadian dreams.
The deligent and very good ones, will always have opportunities for good job placements/business uptake - based on respect for people, hardwork, integrity and being transparent in all you do.
It is well. Cheers.

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
This is a very good topic which really goes deep.

9ja4dLord and other well meaning forumers, can we please get some more tips and advice on how to adequately integrate and succeed in Canada ?

I observed that the "average" Nigerian is very "Coded"(i.e they dont like to easily pass on the information and knowledge that they know for several personal reasons).

Please lets keep this topic alive and chip in "even if its a sentence" on how Canada can be a better place for us.

It is well.

9ja4dLord said:
Beware: Fairly long post. Please pardon me if this is like unnecessary information.

I'm sure we are all waiting for our trip to Canada but are we really getting ready to survive in Canada?

What is your objective of moving to Canada? What do you want to achieve by going to Canada? Are you prepared for the rigors of what it takes to excel in Canada? Or will you come back to this forum some years later to say something like "these Canadians are crooks. The FSW/PNP (or whichever program brought you to Canada) is nothing but second slavery"?

I have been trying to read widely on this forum and I confess tonnes of useful information are lying in different threads on this forum alone. How many have you seen? Or are you just concerned about the timelines and the spreadsheet?
What are you doing presently and what do you intend to do to survive when you land in Canada? What value are you adding to yourself now that will make you more marketable in Canada?

I once met a lady and she was complaining bitterly to me about the difficulty in getting a good job in the US. And by good job she meant a job that would befit her as a graduate from a Nigerian University. She had been in the US for about 6 years when I met her. Towards the end of our discussion, I realized she had (only recently) sent her folks back home in Nigeria to help her request for her transcript and she was doing it for the first time after graduation. She had not furthered her studies in the US in the six years she had been there. I had to ask her how she expected to get any “graduate job” if she had never evaluated her certificate to convince employers that it is the equivalent a BS/BA in the US. These are the people that will talk about the evil and slavery inherent in the American Visa lottery.

I am not saying you WILL get a job once you evaluate your credentials or that there is no discrimination in the Canadian System. I'm not there so I do not have any evidence for or against discrimination, employment rate etc. However, I have noticed that most of the folks that shout the most about the unfairness of the system are those that are least informed , least equipped, least prepared for what they are going to meet in the new place.

So what are you doing to equip yourself for the life in Canada?

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
CANADA MIGRATION: GOOD OR BAD OR OPTIMISTIC OR PESSIMISTIC VIEW
Thousands of educated professionals around the world are immigrating to Canada every year. It is good to present the two sides of the story - good or bad- about this immigration. Just sharing some info, if you have any URL/details about challenges faced by new immigrants, please share.

http://www.thinkingofcanada.com/thinkbeforeaction.html writes:
"Now in 21st century, thousands of educated professionals around the world are thinking about immigration to Canada. They do not have a complete picture of what they are going to face in Canada. Most of the educated professional immigrants are doing odd jobs in Canada and it is not because they are making good money in these jobs but because mostly Canadian employers do not consider them for any job related to their education and experience.

Now the question is why?

If we list reasons, they may be given as follows;

1: Lack of trust: New immigrants do not have Canadian work references, which is a necessity for getting a job in Canada. Officially work reference means some one who can tell about your skills, your behavior, and your character, etc.

2: In job workshops; they tell job seekers that 85% job market in Canada is hidden. Hidden Job Market means; jobs offered without advertisement and only employers, managers, supervisors and some of employees of the organization know about them.

3: Difficulty in communication.

4: They need you for jobs; Canadian do not want to do.

5: They are reluctant to change their workplace environment.

6: Some of employers suppose that the quality of work of Canadians is always batter than others.

7: Canadian employers need to oblige people in their social circle.

8: Once Prime Minister Harper was asked by the interviewer of a multicultural channel that why he has not abolished the Right of Landing Fee (instead of reducing it to 50%)? He abruptly responded ( without thinking ): "It is so many million dollars". This means that millions of dollars prevail on minds of policy maker.

9: Employers and Canadian Immigration Department have no coordination in making the immigration policy. Canadian immigration policy is obsolete. It does not reflect the actual needs of labor market. Regarding immigration one of the minister of Ontario Government once said, "No more academics needed." Immigration policy needs complete revision keeping in view the wisdom and skills, and not the money in pocket of people landing on international airports of Canada.

10: Mostly Canadian employers, managers and supervisors are not trained for utilizing multicultural workforce.

What ever the reasons are, we have no control on them. We can only adjust ourselves according to prevailing conditions in job market of Canada.

Most of the new professional immigrants start with general labor (mostly through Employment Agencies) for survival. If you do not have a very good physique, please do not write more than 25 pounds of weight you can carry as workplace deaths and injuries record is not very impressive in Canada. Do not try to visualize the situation of Canadian job market from jobs posted on internet...."

Read more of above experience http://www.thinkingofcanada.com/thinkbeforeaction.html

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
I applied under NOC code 2263 and I'm not ready to do survival job anywhere. So I'm trying to see if I can take some online courses from a canadian university. I will also try to see if I can prepare for one or two professional certifications in the field. It doesn't mean I will automatically get employed at the same level that I have here but at least, I will know that I have tried.

From the NOC webpage, you can also see the Employment requirements (this is for NOC 2263)
•A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a discipline such as food science, environmental studies, chemistry or health and safety is usually required.
•In some establishments, several years of related work experience and the completion of in-house training courses may substitute for formal education.
•Public health inspectors employed outside Quebec require certification with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
•Occupational health and safety officers may require certification with the Association for Canadian Registered Safety Professionals.

In addition to the above, I have also seen ECO Canada (www dot eco dot ca) and they offer some online professional development courses. I didn't see their training but you can register to receive their emails.

You can also check out how to become certified as an EP (Environmental Professional) in Canada.

African man

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2011
AOR Received.
03-02-2012
IELTS Request
SENT WITH INITIAL APPLICATION TO NS
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Request
31-01-2014
Med's Done....
08-02-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
MARCH 2014 IJNA
LANDED..........
2014 IJNA
ALL GLORY BE UNTO THE LORD. MY PPR JUST LANDED @EXACTLY 1:22PM. GOD I THANK YOU O. I REALLY APPRECIATE U ALL FOR THIS GREAT HOUSE AND I PRAY FOR MORE GOOD NEWS IN THIS FORUM IN JESUS NAME (AMEN)

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN

SUNSHINE4U

Star Member
Nov 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29/04/2015
African man said:
ALL GLORY BE UNTO THE LORD. MY PPR JUST LANDED @ EXACTLY 1:22PM. GOD I THANK YOU O. I REALLY APPRECIATE U ALL FOR THIS GREAT HOUSE AND I PRAY FOR MORE GOOD NEWS IN THIS FORUM IN JESUS NAME (AMEN)

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN

Congratulations to you. God be praised.

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Omo Naija said:
CANADA MIGRATION: GOOD OR BAD OR OPTIMISTIC OR PESSIMISTIC VIEW
Thousands of educated professionals around the world are immigrating to Canada every year. It is good to present the two sides of the story - good or bad- about this immigration. Just sharing some info, if you have any URL/details about challenges faced by new immigrants, please share.

http writes:
"Now in 21st century, thousands of educated professionals around the world are thinking about immigration to Canada. They do not have a complete picture of what they are going to face in Canada. Most of the educated professional immigrants are doing odd jobs in Canada and it is not because they are making good money in these jobs but because mostly Canadian employers do not consider them for any job related to their education and experience.

Now the question is why?

If we list reasons, they may be given as follows;

1: Lack of trust: New immigrants do not have Canadian work references, which is a necessity for getting a job in Canada. Officially work reference means some one who can tell about your skills, your behavior, and your character, etc.

2: In job workshops; they tell job seekers that 85% job market in Canada is hidden. Hidden Job Market means; jobs offered without advertisement and only employers, managers, supervisors and some of employees of the organization know about them.

3: Difficulty in communication.

4: They need you for jobs; Canadian do not want to do.

5: They are reluctant to change their workplace environment.

6: Some of employers suppose that the quality of work of Canadians is always batter than others.

7: Canadian employers need to oblige people in their social circle.

8: Once Prime Minister Harper was asked by the interviewer of a multicultural channel that why he has not abolished the Right of Landing Fee (instead of reducing it to 50%)? He abruptly responded ( without thinking ): "It is so many million dollars". This means that millions of dollars prevail on minds of policy maker.

9: Employers and Canadian Immigration Department have no coordination in making the immigration policy. Canadian immigration policy is obsolete. It does not reflect the actual needs of labor market. Regarding immigration one of the minister of Ontario Government once said, "No more academics needed." Immigration policy needs complete revision keeping in view the wisdom and skills, and not the money in pocket of people landing on international airports of Canada.

10: Mostly Canadian employers, managers and supervisors are not trained for utilizing multicultural workforce.

What ever the reasons are, we have no control on them. We can only adjust ourselves according to prevailing conditions in job market of Canada.
Most of the new professional immigrants start with general labor (mostly through Employment Agencies) for survival. If you do not have a very good physique, please do not write more than 25 pounds of weight you can carry as workplace deaths and injuries record is not very impressive in Canada. Do not try to visualize the situation of Canadian job market from jobs posted on internet...."

Read more of above experience http:
1 and 2 are reasons why we must learn to use the internet to our advantage not just facebook friends and badoo
3 – if Indians and Chinese can survive, I will. Most don't speak better English that we do
4 – before nko?
5 – I can't control that. However, I can make it a lot easier for them not to want me ( the newcomer/stranger/foreigner) if I'm not bringing anything fantastic to the table. Why will anyone want a diversified workforce for the sake of diversity?
6 – I can't control their thinking too but nobody argues with results
7 – No comment :D
8 – they have no plans for us beyond taking our money, getting jobs for immigration lawyers/consultants, keeping their housing and auto market alive etc. But who says I can't take advantage of the situation to get what I want? Does the Nigerian government have a better plan for me?
9 – Fortune favors the bold. Luck lives at the intersection of opportunity and preparedness (Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness).
10 – see 5 and 6 above

I love this statement from the article above - What ever the reasons are, we have no control on them. We can only adjust ourselves according to prevailing conditions in job market of Canada.

headyman

Star Member
Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
AOR Received.
01-05-2012
Med's Request
17-03-2014
Med's Done....
28-03-2014
Passport Req..
29-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2014
Amen. Cheers
Eni said:
Thank you so much my brother.
Your time of celebration has come.

headyman

Star Member
Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
AOR Received.
01-05-2012
Med's Request
17-03-2014
Med's Done....
28-03-2014
Passport Req..
29-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2014
Amen. Thanks a bunch ma. God bless. May we all eat the good of the land in IJN
gabrilla said:
headyman, you will soon laugh very soon, the next MR to be released will be for you.

Congratulations in advance.

Temi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/02/2012
AOR Received.
21/03/2012
Med's Request
30/01/2014
Med's Done....
7/02/2014
Interview........
13th May 2014
Passport Req..
13th May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
13th May 2014
African man.......Congrats man. I rejoice with you for making it thru the last line. May God see u thru the rest of the journey.

headyman

Star Member
Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2012
AOR Received.
01-05-2012
Med's Request
17-03-2014
Med's Done....
28-03-2014
Passport Req..
29-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2014
Congrats man
African man said:
ALL GLORY BE UNTO THE LORD. MY PPR JUST LANDED @ EXACTLY 1:22PM. GOD I THANK YOU O. I REALLY APPRECIATE U ALL FOR THIS GREAT HOUSE AND I PRAY FOR MORE GOOD NEWS IN THIS FORUM IN JESUS NAME (AMEN)

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN

Ikemba

Mar 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MI 2
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
29-07-2013
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
African man said:

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN
Congratulations African Man. Carry go

bishop

Star Member
Jun 20, 2013
African man said:

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN
congratulations

jodav3

Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 19, 2011
AOR Received.
21/11/2011
Med's Request
25/10/2013
Med's Done....
06/11/2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
April 2, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
11/6/2014
African Man,

Congratulations. So happy for you. You have opened the door this new month.

Hakpoguma

Mar 25, 2012
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8/05/2014 (ie 8th May 2014)
African man said:

LOVE U ALL.
AFRICAN MAN
Congratulations Africa man on the receipt of your PPR.