+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

babymart

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
30 May 2013
goldenapple said:
Hello my brothers and sisters!

My very sincere apologies for going silent after my initial landing posts. No excuses, just apologies.

Back to my landing gist - My drum was seized as mentioned but with a promise to release it to me after 48hrs of extreme cold treatment. Their concern was that they spotted cobweb in the drum and that implied there would be cobwebs and perhaps other living things ;D. Mo de siwon lorun tile tile ni o jare. The cold treatment was to ensure any living creatures inside the drums died. So I gave them time and picked it up after close to 3 weeks...I no just get time ni jare!

A few things about landing:
1. You can come with as much food as you like, just be ready to pay the extra luggage fees and avoid anything of animal origin. Dem too dey fear here o but I no blame them - if they were not careful health-wise, I doubt if most of us would download Canada's immigrant application form so lets join hands to keep everyone safe.
Rather than pay for EXCESS luggage, I prepared 2 extra baggage and simply paid for those at the airport - cheaper in my own opinion but you can make your independent checks in Lagos.
For the food stuffs we brought, my experienced mum helped us bag the food items in very tough and transparent smaller nylons, sealed them...and got them labelled! This made life easier for us when we were hounded by Customs. The questions were less as they could see the content and read the names - at least the English names. I suggest to do the same if you can.

2. Be truthful in your dealings with Canada - from landing form they give you on the plane to when you start living your life in here. Canada is based on trust and they respect such a lot. A little deviation from that especially if you are caught is a big dent on your image and history. Run from lies and shady acts or dealings. I recall that I indicated I had foodstuff etc etc in our luggage on the form and it was why we were sampled for further checks and the lady who scanned our bags mentioned we would have been fined if we had indicated otherwise. For those who read my post then, I mentioned that our maggi chicken was seized and I was not bothered anyway. That was the only animal related foodstuff that I had on us and it was the only thing collected for destruction.

3. Ensure you have a reliable address that you will provide at the entry point. This is where your PR card will be sent.

4. We were not asked to declare our proof of funds...I am not sure why but...

Settling down in Canada
I have lots to write here but I have to leave now...running out of time but I will be back...
I will be writing on registrations, job search, securing accommodation, Schooling for adult and children, credential evaluation, banking, telephone network of choice, living expenses here (expensive?), car purchase, insurance, drivers license (I had an interesting experience regarding this), training programs in Canada, etc etc

I will try and address at least one topic per day.

Do have a nice day or evening everyone.

GoldenApple
Tnx so much for the landing update.its appreciated.regards to your family!

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
goldenapple said:

My very sincere apologies for going silent after my initial landing posts. No excuses, just apologies.

Back to my landing gist - My drum was seized as mentioned but with a promise to release it to me after 48hrs of extreme cold treatment. Their concern was that they spotted cobweb in the drum and that implied there would be cobwebs and perhaps other living things ;D. Mo de siwon lorun tile tile ni o jare. The cold treatment was to ensure any living creatures inside the drums died. So I gave them time and picked it up after close to 3 weeks...I no just get time ni jare!

1. You can come with as much food as you like, just be ready to pay the extra luggage fees and avoid anything of animal origin. Dem too dey fear here o but I no blame them - if they were not careful health-wise, I doubt if most of us would download Canada's immigrant application form so lets join hands to keep everyone safe.
Rather than pay for EXCESS luggage, I prepared 2 extra baggage and simply paid for those at the airport - cheaper in my own opinion but you can make your independent checks in Lagos.
For the food stuffs we brought, my experienced mum helped us bag the food items in very tough and transparent smaller nylons, sealed them...and got them labelled! This made life easier for us when we were hounded by Customs. The questions were less as they could see the content and read the names - at least the English names. I suggest to do the same if you can.

2. Be truthful in your dealings with Canada - from landing form they give you on the plane to when you start living your life in here. Canada is based on trust and they respect such a lot. A little deviation from that especially if you are caught is a big dent on your image and history. Run from lies and shady acts or dealings. I recall that I indicated I had foodstuff etc etc in our luggage on the form and it was why we were sampled for further checks and the lady who scanned our bags mentioned we would have been fined if we had indicated otherwise. For those who read my post then, I mentioned that our maggi chicken was seized and I was not bothered anyway. That was the only animal related foodstuff that I had on us and it was the only thing collected for destruction.

3. Ensure you have a reliable address that you will provide at the entry point. This is where your PR card will be sent.

Settling down in Canada
I have lots to write here but I have to leave now...running out of time but I will be back...
I will be writing on registrations, job search, securing accommodation, Schooling for adult and children, credential evaluation, banking, telephone network of choice, living expenses here (expensive?), car purchase, insurance, drivers license (I had an interesting experience regarding this), training programs in Canada, etc etc

GoldenApple
thanks for the update....

Hakpoguma

Mar 25, 2012
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8/05/2014 (ie 8th May 2014)
Thanks for the update - looking forward to other experience points you suggested. I will watch out for same.

Regards to the family - please enjoy the new found live in Canada.

goldenapple said:

Settling down in Canada

GoldenApple

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Congratulations to all MR, PPR and PR holders and the awaitees if there is any vocab like that........ man been busy o

Cheers

kbert

Star Member
Jul 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
SOON
Nomination.....
BY HIS GRACE
AOR Received.
BY HIS GRACE
File Transfer...
BY HIS GRACE
Med's Request
BY HIS GRACE
Med's Done....
BY HIS GRACE
Interview........
OVER COME
Passport Req..
VERY SOON
VISA ISSUED...
BY HIS GRACE
LANDED..........
BY HIS GRACE
NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

Immigration Changing: Provinces Need More Skilled Workers

November, 2012
inShare

Earlier this month, discussions were held between federal and provincial authorities regarding improvements to the country’s Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). These discussions have been part of a larger move away from the current PNP system to one that will more effectively bring immigrants to provinces in need of their specific knowledge and skills.

Many provinces want to increase their annual Provincial Nominee quotas, which are allocated by the Federal government, in order to address widespread labour shortages. Saskatchewan is lobbying to increase its annual quota from 4,000 to 6,000. Ontario wants to raise its quota from 1,000 to 5,000, while British Columbia wants to take in 6,500, up from 3,500 this year.

The PNP System Today

The PNP system was implemented to allow provinces greater authority in choosing the Permanent Residents who arrive and settle within their borders. While provinces nominate individuals for Permanent Residency, the Federal government remains responsible for issuing visas and screening nominees for health and security.

PNPs benefit provinces throughout the country, as they are able to target workers who are most likely to succeed in their labour markets. Most PNP categories place an emphasis on work or study experience in the province, as well as training or skills in an in-demand profession. They may also develop special categories to help bolster targeted industries. British Columbia, for instance, offers an immigration stream exclusively for long- and heavy-haul truck drivers, whereas Alberta recently created a pilot program targeting trades such as ironworking and carpentry.

Despite its success, restrictions to the current PNP system have resulted in some provinces struggling to fill quotas while satisfying Federal government regulations. New Federal rules have also been implemented that require many PNP applicants to show proficiency in one of Canada’s two official languages.

PNPs in Transition

Ontario is one example of the need for PNP reform. The province receives more Permanent Residents per year than any other in Canada. The vast majority of these arrive through the popular Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC), while only 1,000 are currently channeled through the Ontario PNP.

The FSWC has been undergoing a number of changes that are part of the government’s goal of creating a faster and more flexible immigration system. These new changes are promising for Canadian provinces, as they will better target immigrants who are well-placed to thrive in Canada’s economy. Unlike most PNP programs, a job offer is not needed to apply to the FSWC, and successful applicants may settle in any province of their choosing, except Quebec. While applications are not currently being accepted for the Skilled Worker category of the FSWC, changes to program regulations are expected to come into force in January 2013.

The FSWC will help attract immigrants with the education and experience needed to excel in Canada. However, provinces such as Ontario wish to complement this program with PNPs that can bring in immigrants whose profiles are particularly sought after in their province. During a recent meeting in Halifax, premiers from across the country urged the Federal government to allow their provinces greater flexibility in achieving their immigration goals.

“We want more space to be able to make our decisions about which immigrants will come to our provinces, where they will be settled and how many we’ll get,” said one premier.

The Federal government has been working with provinces to help them do so in a more efficient manner. One important proposed plan is the creation of an Expression of Interest (EOI) system. This system, which will be modeled on ones already in place in Australia and New Zealand, will create a pool of skilled applicants from which provinces may select candidates. Greater details regarding an EOI system and other changes to PNPs are forthcoming.

Options for Applicants Today

There are a number of options currently available for Permanent Residency applicants. Because every PNP is different, interested applicants may find themselves more suitable for some provinces than others. In addition, they may consider the FSWC and Quebec Skilled Worker programs as a path to Permanent Residency.

For the FSCW (opening in 2013), applicants must:

Have at least 1 year of full time work experience in the last 10 years;
Demonstrate at least an Adequate-Intermediate language proficiency in English or French (Canadian Language Benchmark: 7);
Obtain at least 67 points on the new point grid (based on language proficiency, age, work experience, education and adaptability etc.);
Have their foreign education credentials assessed, authenticated and given an equivalent value in Canada

For the Quebec Skilled Worker (currently open and accepting applications), applicants must:

Obtain at least 49 points on a 57-point grid;
Have at least a high school degree;
Have a degree or diploma in one of 110 areas of training/fields of study

“Individuals who are committed to settling in a specific province should pay close attention to any changes being made in upcoming months,” said Attorney David Cohen. “However, they should also be aware of other popular options, such as the FSWC and Quebec Skilled Worker programs. The Quebec Skilled Worker program is currently accepting applications for Permanent Residency, while proactive applicants are already preparing their files in anticipation of the FSWC opening soon.”

With provinces more than ever seeking to attract newcomers to their cities and towns, it appears that Canada has never been more welcoming.

To learn more about Provincial Nomination or one of Canada’s 60-plus immigration programs, please fill out a free online immigration assessment.

Iwin2

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 2010
AOR Received.
Oct 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 2010
Med's Request
26th July,2012
Med's Done....
2nd August,2012
Passport Req..
6th Nov, 2012
goldenapple said:

Settling down in Canada

GoldenApple
This is good.Looking forward to read the rest gists.
Regards

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
@Kbert
What I could pick from that article is the fact that Canada is fast realising the fact that you cannot sit on your tail and expect that prosperity and security will continue to come cheap by staying under the shadow of the big brother in Uncle Sam.

Like every vision will need men to succeed so Canada need the rest of the world on their soil to achieve set goal. With steady growth in population whether by birth or by immigration they are certainly warming up to be higher up than where they are at the moment.

Canada a gbe wa o. Ase!!!

Akerekoro

Mar 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 6th, 2011
AOR Received.
Sept 19th, 2011
Med's Request
Sept 11th, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 28th, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 25th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 30th, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 2nd, 2014
EMO said:
@ Kbert
What I could pick from that article is the fact that Canada is fast realising the fact that you cannot sit on your tail and expect that prosperity and security will continue to come cheap by staying under the shadow of the big brother in Uncle Sam.

Like every vision will need men to succeed so Canada need the rest of the world on their soil to achieve set goal. With steady growth in population whether by birth or by immigration they are certainly warming up to be higher up than where they are at the moment.

Canada a gbe wa o. Ase!!!
Ase!!! Amen.

mikky61

Nov 26, 2012
Akerekoro said:
Ase!!! Amen.
Dear forumites,
Please i am new to this forum and will really need all the help I can get.
I have just been introduced to these Canadian immigrant programe and will sincerely appreciate all the help on how to start processing.
I've tried reading up so many post and and all that but, there's really nothing like experience.
I am presently in Nigeria, married with 3 kids and would really want to start process Asap.
Hope to read from you guys soon.
Thanks
Femi O
Email : femmsy@hotmail.com

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
mikky61 said:
Dear forumites,
Please i am new to this forum and will really need all the help I can get.
I have just been introduced to these Canadian immigrant programe and will sincerely appreciate all the help on how to start processing.
I've tried reading up so many post and and all that but, there's really nothing like experience.
I am presently in Nigeria, married with 3 kids and would really want to start process Asap.
Hope to read from you guys soon.
Thanks
Femi O
Email : femmsy @ hotmail.com
Welcome on board. The best place for you to start is www.cic.gc.ca you will get all the info you need there and if u need any clarification or experience regarding anything, feel free.

Cheers

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
EMO said:
Welcome on board. The best place for you to start is www.cic.gc.ca you will get all the info you need there and if u need any clarification or experience regarding anything, feel free.

Cheers

YomexTEV

Star Member
Oct 18, 2012
i wish to thank everyone that rejoices with me on receipt of my PPR. Thank you for your warm greetings, wishes and prayers. I so much appreciate and cherish the love shown to me and my family. I am delighted to be a member of this great forum. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Lucasvilla

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 1st
Thursdays and Friday is always full of good news, why the silence ?
Accra please do something new again...

jodav3

Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 19, 2011
AOR Received.
21/11/2011
Med's Request
25/10/2013
Med's Done....
06/11/2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
April 2, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
11/6/2014
Lucasvilla said:
It is well! I believe in miracle ;) All good things are possible.

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Lucasvilla said:
I thought you have your PPR already........... All is well