+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EMO the listed average will hold well for Alberta province however I think the different in price between provinces where you have large population will be minimal. Also this is not downtown rate.

Check www.rentfaster.com.

Pay more attention to the contract on sale. Don't rush take your time to read it properly before you sign it. Once signed you will be compelled to fulfill the spirit of the contract or else you might have to pay monetary compensation.

Finally better to get a townhouse that has a single garage that can house your car during the winter period. Oh don't consider a basement if funds will allow. It is usually very cold during the winter months thus making heating bills very heavy.

Awoderu A.A

Jul 22, 2010
Ikorodu Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
29-OCT-2010
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
29-10-2010
IELTS Request
29-10-2010
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS - 3-MARCH-2012
Med's Request
6-MARCH-2012
Any ideas on where to get the study materials to prepare for the Test?

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awoderu A.A said:
Any ideas on where to get the study materials to prepare for the Test? I want to assume you are referring to the driver's written test?

For Alberta: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm

For Ontario: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/index.shtml

For British Columbia : http://www.icbc.com/licensing/

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
@Barsindoo
With all due respect nothing o. I have taken this immigration thing as a project and I have responded to everything concerning it as a Project Manager. I have planned and planned and planned. I haven't moved completely because I am having to arrange and adjust the realities that I now know with my initial plans. I am reconstructing my budget/estimates based on local knowledge - very important. Once done I will then move.
My apologies for putting you on the spot. I thot you had moved. I guess I mistook you for someone else. Nevertheless, thanks for your response. It's good to see you taking your pending move seriously. If only some others could be like you...!

Some of my observations

First thing first I had to tackle my mobility issues - advanced driving test. That I was able to pass recently.

What do you mean by advanced driving test? If you are referring to getting a driver's license, it's not a big deal. If you can move a vehicle (I do not call that stuff we do in Nigeria driving) in Nigeria, you can drive here. You just have to learn the rules and master them. It's a fairly easy process and quite frankly, the least of your problems. However, good to see that it's on your list.

After that I shall be looking into some more certifications to make myself more relevant in the system.
I do not know your background but very good.
Next I have obtained data on renting accomodation and the general feel of house renting contracts available in the market.
As a new comer, ideally it is better to look for a six month contract at the maximum that will allow a new person flexibility to move should it be needed. Having said that the rents for longer contracts I have found out can be negotiated more readily downwards. Also better to go for a townhouse than a flat(condo). A two bedroom townhouse goes for an average price of $1150 per month and you have to deposit $1150 as security. Location of the accomodation is also important. Better to have it close to major amentities and transport network. That will save big money.

Nice. Just a few things to point out. Depending on the city you move to, you can get month-to-month contracts up to annual contracts. Annual contracts are usually common in bigger cities and you may hardly get a 6mths contract. But you are right…if you can get a 6mths contract, you’d do yourself a lot of good. One thing to note is that most major cities have “downtowns”…which is like the main spot/commercial centre. So the closer you are to a city’s downtown, the more expensive rent is. Unless you have to be downtown, it makes no sense renting an apartment as a newcomer downtown. You can always rent outside downtown and commute if you have to.
Those prices you quoted are for which city? I dunno where you got your data from but a townhouse is usually more expensive than an apartment. A condo is usually more expensive….but condos are just more expensive apartments (that’s how I look at them). Usually, the damage/security deposit is half of the rent.
And if you are in a big city, being closer to the transport network, makes a lot of sense as you have rightly pointed out.
I gotta run to church; my family is waiting…I’d respond to your other comments later when I get a chance.

Awoderu A.A

Jul 22, 2010
Ikorodu Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
29-OCT-2010
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
29-10-2010
IELTS Request
29-10-2010
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS - 3-MARCH-2012
Med's Request
6-MARCH-2012
I totally agree with PROF as regards the driving license issue. As for alberta,all u need do is pay for the test using ur credit card and take the test online, if you are able to get 16 questions out of 20 right, you have passed; all you then need do is go down to the license office to obtain your driving license. simple. but if you do not meet the pass mark you would have to keep trying and keep paying until you pass it. This applies to Alberta.
As regards the house rent, i was made to understand that the condo is usually cheaper and better for new immigrants then when you are stable then you can consider renting or getting a mortgage on a townhouse. But you would have to pay part deposit of the cost of the house if going on mortage about 10-20% of the cost depending on the contract.The average cost of a townhouse is $350,000 and it is possible to get a monthly rent contract.

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Awoderu, Your understanding of the Alberta driving licensing is not true. For a start everyone will required to do a written test at a registry under the supervision of the registry staff. As I was told by the staff at my own centre less than 3% of first time candidates pass the test, this I think is a function of under rating the test. The questions are thirty (30) in number and you are only allowed five wrong answers. Once you pass the test there two routes you can take to obtain your road license:

1). Obtain a learners' permit called Class 7 license. With this you will need have to have a person with a full (advance road test license) Class 5 license to be in the car with you whilst driving for a period of 1yr. After the 1yr probation you can then take the Basic Road Test. Should you pass it, you won't be able to drive after 9pm. Should you have a clean driving record a year after you obtained your Basic Class 5 license you can then go ahead to take the Advanced Road Test.
2). Secondly if you can prove that you have been driving for more than two years in a country that Canada has a reciprocal drivers' license relationship with, then you are allowed to submit that license subject to confirmation with that jurisdiction. Once confirmed that your license is real, you can either take the Basic or Advanced Road Test. Cost wise the Advanced test is more expensive and rigorous hence most people tend to go for the Basic.

If you don't take it as serious as I did you might be surprised that you will be made to go through the test severally, meaning added cost and restricted mobility.

As per housing issue I have seen friends that have moved completely who are in flats complaining that had they known they would have gone for townhouses instead of flats(condo). The rooms are generally smaller than what most of our rented flats in 9ja offer. Also there is more stringent rules as per noise and communal issues here. Also most of these my friends out grew those accommodations almost immediately.

Quick advise, that you have 10% isn't a good reason to obtain a mortgage. You need to be well prepared to pay for the long monthly payments that are attached. When you can't make the payments it destroys your credit. Frankly speaking I will advise that most people should have a buffer fund prior to obtaining mortgage. This will take care of periods when you might be out of work. Eh! Some jobs are not full time here o. I say this from experience. In the final analysis everyone must research very well before taking the leap. My stay has been made easy by friends that have been in the system for long and they have been willing to share their own pitfalls with me; and of course I am not willing to invent anything new as it regards settlement.

Peace

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prof456 said:
@ Barsindoo
With all due respect nothing o. I have taken this immigration thing as a project and I have responded to everything concerning it as a Project Manager. I have planned and planned and planned. I haven't moved completely because I am having to arrange and adjust the realities that I now know with my initial plans. I am reconstructing my budget/estimates based on local knowledge - very important. Once done I will then move.
My apologies for putting you on the spot. I thot you had moved. I guess I mistook you for someone else. Nevertheless, thanks for your response. It's good to see you taking your pending move seriously. If only some others could be like you...!No sweat sir. Thank you for your genuine interest. At least your question has made my friends on the forum to profit from the discuss.

Some of my observations

First thing first I had to tackle my mobility issues - advanced driving test. That I was able to pass recently.

What do you mean by advanced driving test? Full Class 5If you are referring to getting a driver's license, it's not a big deal. Chairman it was for me o. I couldn't do much if my friends weren't available. Moving around in sub zero conditions without a car in a very large city isn't fun. Also I didn't want to be a burden for too long a time.If you can move a vehicle (I do not call that stuff we do in Nigeria driving) in Nigeria, you can drive here Thank God you qualified the 9ja driving.. You just have to learn the rules and master them Though I have driven in the UK, bad habits are hard to do away with. That bad habit is usually the stumbling block for most Naija. . It's a fairly easy process and quite frankly, the least of your problems. Now it is no problem! Some people that landed before are still going through the driving thing hence I consider it a good achievement. It helps to make once faith increase when little by little some issues are taken off one's list of to do.However, good to see that it's on your list. Thanks.

After that I shall be looking into some more certifications to make myself more relevant in the system.
I do not know your background but very good. Civil Engineer and Project Manager.
Next I have obtained data on renting accomodation and the general feel of house renting contracts available in the market.
As a new comer, ideally it is better to look for a six month contract at the maximum that will allow a new person flexibility to move should it be needed. Having said that the rents for longer contracts I have found out can be negotiated more readily downwards. Also better to go for a townhouse than a flat(condo). A two bedroom townhouse goes for an average price of $1150 per month and you have to deposit $1150 as security. Location of the accomodation is also important. Better to have it close to major amentities and transport network. That will save big money.

Nice. Just a few things to point out. Depending on the city you move to, you can get month-to-month contracts up to annual contracts. That's correct however month on month rent is usually considered short stay hence the rent is almost going to be higher.Annual contracts are usually common in bigger cities and you may hardly get a 6mths contract. Ask and you shall be given. That's what I have learnt here.But you are right...if you can get a 6mths contract, you'd do yourself a lot of good. One thing to note is that most major cities have “downtowns”...which is like the main spot/commercial centre. So the closer you are to a city's downtown, the more expensive rent is. CorrectUnless you have to be downtown, it makes no sense renting an apartment as a newcomer downtown. CorrectYou can always rent outside downtown and commute if you have to. Better.
Those prices you quoted are for which city? Calgary I dunno where you got your data www.rentfaster.cafrom but a townhouse is usually more expensive than an apartment Not necessarily. If you research well. Most people just have it in their sub conscious that it is that way.. A condo is usually more expensive....but condos are just more expensive apartments (that's how I look at them) British call it flats and Americans call it Condos.... Usually, the damage/security deposit is half of the rent Not necessarily. But the most common is full month rent however you can ask to have lowered..
And if you are in a big city, being closer to the transport network, makes a lot of sense as you have rightly pointed out.
I gotta run to church; my family is waiting...I'd respond to your other comments later when I get a chance. Don't keep God waiting o. He is always on time. It will be nice to have your further comments very refreshing. Thanks.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
The next thing I looked into was the issue of car. I am still debating whether to go for auction, second hand dealer or brand new car. I am likely to go for second hand dealer car because of the price (mid range compared with brand new) and assurance that the car will have some certification which isn't obtainable at an auction.

It all depends on your cash in hand. There are two types of auctions (Dealer and Public). The dealer auctions are exclusive to dealers and you have to have a dealer license to attend. These are where used-car dealers get their vehicles from; off-car leases, car rentals, etc. The dealers recondition the cars and retail to the public. The public auctions usually parade vehicles to the public that most times, dealers do not want. Some of these vehicles have issues...so you may have to recondition the vehicle when you get it. Most times, you'd get a seemingly decent deal from the public auction but if you do not know how to inspect vehicles, you'd regret it. Nigerians are known to “judge” a vehicle from the body/chassis...trust me, if you use this method, you are on a very long thing.
My advice: Stay off the auctions unless you get someone really familiar with the system to help you out. You'd need a good mechanic to certify the vehicle before you get it on the road...and you cannot just go to Johnbull and pay him $100 to look after your vehicle all day. It's not unusual to pay a mechanic $60/hr (or more) for fixing your vehicle and that does not include the ever expensive materials.
If you can get a good deal from a used-car dealer with some implied warranty, you may be better off. However, it's all about your budget. I usually say, everyone in Canada has a car...there are $200 cars and there are $200k cars. So, you just have to get a car that's in your price range. What I do not subscribe to is getting a car loan especially when you do not have a stable income. In all, also budget your auto insurance...it's mandatory and since you'd be a new Canadian driver, it's not unheard of to pay up to $200 per month.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Food! learn to eat more of the local healthy foods than searching for yours truly. That can shoot up your weekly cost.

True. African/Nigerian food is relatively expensive compared to other foods here. It’s all about adapting.

Don't try to be a Canadian over night. Adjust gradually. Your spoken english won't jump from ara oke to a cowboy's english. Same goes for other things.
Haha…you remind me of a lady that kills me with a strong Igbo accent (no offence to the Ibos) and says “my daurra” instead of “my daughter”.

If you haven't begin to learn how to structure budgets that realisitic.

Hard to do but very necessary

Nothing is free in Canada! Prepare well in advance.
Unfortunately, the Nigerian culture of wanting everything free is what is killing the country today. You are right, nothing is free. Infact, when you invite the average Canadian to your house, they usually do not expect to be entertained with drinks. They are overly grateful if you give them drinks. On the other hand, Nigerians want a full meal with their preferred drink. Don’t be surprised to be asked out for a dinner and you have to pay for your meal…or asked to go for a party and told to bring your own drinks.

Better to read/study for the written test (in Nigeria prior to landing) required by law for everyone prior to any road test being administered.
It’s better to read for any exam. I’d like to reinforce the notion that Exams are there to test your knowledge. In Nigeria, we were mostly trained thru the flawed university system that no matter how hard you prepare, you can only get certain grades. Not so in the Western world – You get what you deserve.

Be sure an item is required before buying. This I mean in the sense that, don't be carried away with all the...
Don't kill any money making venture you have in Nigeria until you have achieved full settlement - Job, good home, car, business etc. That business might still be your main stay for months to come after landing. That's not to create fear but the worst case senario.

Agreed. Why would one kill a cash cow anyway, whether settled or not? I have been in Canada for a very long time and I still have my business running in Nigeria. The downside is, I cannot make as much as I would like to but it’s still better than nothing.

Encourage yourself to network far and wide. Don't stay/make friends with only 9ja people. Expand/throw your net afield.
Someone sees the light…!

If you can get Canadian education either by way of a master program or undergraduate studies, that is considered a plus for job placement.

True to an extent.

Just some of the things wey moi eyes capture!
Very good points. I wish you well. Hopefully, your move will open new and much better doors for you.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
@ Barsindoo:
Thanks for your response. I'd just like to respond to your most recent comments.

You thinking of moving to Calgary? Good choice. I guess you have people there which is a plus. I must say real estate in Calgary is up there. Edmonton is a lil bit cheaper. I'm sure you know that. I usually advice new immigrants to move to cheaper cities or surburbs as they try to stabilize. The irony is that the bigger/more expensive cities have more opportunities...so it's a catch-22.

With regards condos/apartments/townhouses, let me just clear up something. Condos are "glorified" apartments. The major difference is in the legality and ownership. Usually, a condo complex is built with the notion that the units (apartments) are going to be owned by individuals. So, if there are 500units, there are going to be 500 owners. On the other hand, apartments have a single owner and run by a single management company. Sometimes, some developers can buy an apartment building and convert them to condos and sell the units. Despite owning the condo, you pay condo fees which is put in a "pot". These fees are used to maintain the building.
So you may ask, how come condos are being rented? This is because if you own a condo, you may choose to live in it or rent it. Some individuals maximise their investments by purchasing properties and renting them. Thus, since condos may have different owners, you may get a range of rent amounts. In Calgary or Edmonton, it will not be unusual to see condos being owned by workers who work and live in the oil sands (Fort Mac). Some of these owners have made a good down payment (or paid in full) for their condos and hence, their rent may be a little cheaper since their mortgage is low; although most individuals want to get more if they can. Others may be willing to subsidise the rent depending on the supply and demand. On the other hand, apartment buildings target the rental market (not the buyers' market unlike the condos). Obviously, there are different grades of apartment and depending on the grade and location, the rent varies. Hence, my comment, apartments are generally cheaper than condos.
Now, when it comes to townhouses, the target market is for home buyers. It differs from condos such that the owner owns the parcel of land and the building on the land. So a townhome owner can claim ownership to his/her building whereas a condo owner cannot claim ownership to his/her building...he/she just owns the space inside his condo. The demarcation point is the wall that separates the each unit. Generally, condos are obviously cheaper than townhouses and just like condos, homeowners sometimes rent their townhomes. Since townhouses are more expensive to purchase, it only makes sense that they are more expensive to rent.
The code in Calgary (and most cities) stipulates that landlords can only charge a maximum of one month's rent. Some collect half.

The site you posted is good. You can also check www.kijiji.ca
Good catch on the mortgage issue. Unless you have enough money to burn, I’d advise anyone to take a breather and study the market. MLS (www.mls.ca) is where most properties are listed. Apart from your mortgage, there are other monthly expenses one has to take into consideration – water, heating, electricity, property taxes, home maintenance etc.
As for your Civil Engineering profession, my advice to you is to contact the APPEGA (http://www.apegga.com/) if you have not done that already. You may want to email them and ask what it will take for you to get your Professional license (P.Eng). You do not need to let them know that you have not moved yet. Just let them know you are a new immigrant and ask for directions. That way, you may be better prepared…you may have to write exams, etc.

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Prof thanks for taking the time to explain the issues deeply.

The issue of the car auction is clearer now although I had already concluded that I will be buying a used car from a certified dealer. Am always of the opinion that a little extra to have peace of mind is better.

As per accommodation, townhouse is the way. I have even produced a spread sheet on various items that we shall be needing on a monthly basis. It is helpful even if we end up not spending as much. I used Canadian websites to build the estimates. From the sites I got prices for dining tables/chairs, bed frame/accessories, car, sofa etc.

The brits also don't expect much as your guest except a cup of tea. I have been very used to paying for my bills from schooling days. But we can't help being 9jas sometime. If you show up for pad, I go feed you o. Anyways your point is fully taken.

I will contact APEGGA soon. Just collating some documents.

Thanks again. You shall always find a good counsellor in life when you really need one IJN. GBY.

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Prof,

Just wanted to buttress your point on being well informed before jumping into the mortgage boat, it is very important for anyone to look well before leaping. Repayment can be daunting if one goes in on very thin budget or idea. Doing that throws that person into the RAT race. Believe me it can be painful. Don't say my friend or some people have mortgages check your own situation properly.

Thanks again.

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
barsindoo said:
Prof,

Just wanted to buttress your point on being well informed before jumping into the mortgage boat, it is very important for anyone to look well before leaping. Repayment can be daunting if one goes in on very thin budget or idea. Doing that throws that person into the RAT race. Believe me it can be painful. Don't say my friend or some people have mortgages check your own situation properly.

Thanks again.
Better keep up with the affordable rent payment than carry an over-sized mortgage. Oro agba!

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
EMO said:
Better keep up with the affordable rent payment than carry an over-sized mortgage. Oro agba!
Carry an over-sized mortgage is a big risk but carrying a mortgage is not necessarily a bad thing. If you manage debt properly, you may actually be better off financially than the chap who pays cash for everything. As an individual, one just has to do his/her maths properly so that you use other people's money to work for you. The Lebanese are very good at this and are well established all over the world, including Canada.

My advice is not to rush into it; on the other hand, if one puts things in perspective, it may make no sense renting a house for a family of five at $1400 per month when you can make mortgage payment of $950 per month if you put down a good down payment and get some good interest rate. In the end, if you are just as "lucky" as I have been, you'd pay off the house in no time with huge equity smiling to the bank.

My point is, you should be abit open minded but know what you are getting into. Do not use the "stockmarket mentality" in Nigeria where people were buying stocks simply because their friends were buying stocks and making money.

mot

Nov 23, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
av
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
done. 7.5 overall
Thanks Prof. Pls dont relent in getting us informed. God bless your heart the more.