+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
CFAdoc said:
@ Tito

If you get in with a clean driver's license and pass the G2 exit test and you're over 25 and never made an insurance claim, your insurance cost will be much lower than someone starting from scratch, and you have the option of liability only which is cheaper.
I had all that and still got slammed with high rate the first year, this does not currently apply to those coming from Nigeria and planning on living in the GTA, the letter from my insurance company showing over 15 years of no claim insurance amounted to nothing. Probably good for folks coming from UK and other similar countries, driver's license from the US is even sweeter. My group discount with Meloche Monnex helped but not so much.
The option of liability only is good for vehicles that are very old and not worth more than a few thousand dollars or you can afford to pay whatever amount might be required to repair or replace the vehicle. You cannot go this route if you lease or finance a vehicle. "How cars measure up" information also shows how bad the insurance can get depending on the model of the vehicle. Also, the older the vehicle, the higher the maintenance cost too...the focus of my comment is that there are many factors that should be considered before taking the plunge.

Better to ensure you have the required driving license and documentation before taking off from Naija, I've met a lot of people who discovered this when they arrived and have paid the hard way.
I quite agree and have witnessed the confiscation of some illegal driver's licenses at one the exam centers in Toronto

Regarding the car issue, people have got different situations and experiences, I lived in the UK for many years and I've seen public transit from a much different light. I've got a family, so moving around with a bus showing up once every 30 - 45mins, and having to change buses 2x for a 3mile journey is not good enough. If you are single and live in downtown Toronto, you will surely have a different story to tell as it has a system similar to major US cities.

I see where you are coming from, but this will be different for majority of our folks coming from Nigeria. I like the UK for the excellent public transport system but never could live with the narrow roads and the tiny houses. I write this with caution though, because it depends on where you live; same thing in the GTA. The 5-month long drivetest strike thought me to look at things differently, I had a vehicle locked up in the garage for 5 months but unable to drive because the registration of the vehicle needed auto insurance which I could not get due to lack of driver's license. The survival strategies my family used during that period thought me more valuable lessons about life.

Regarding the host issue, you can find your way alone, but, better safe than sorry, I've met with people who have lost a lot of traction without someone to guide them.

Ok but I have met a couple of folks that were almost put in terrible situations by the so called host, but like I wrote ealier, good luck to those that find a good host. Maybe I am used to hustling and sees no big deal with going it alone.

Well the cash issue is a personal one, I won't advise carrying large amounts of cash in this day and age where there are many safer options. Trust me, your GT Mastercard provides a better deal with an all-in-premium of 2 - 3% above the market rate, which is much better than the rates offered by Canadian banks and Forex dealers.

Some of us sometimes carry large amount of cash for strategic reasons, it may make a huge difference in some interesting situations. I sure wont change money at the airport but doubt that 1CAD @ NGN166 from the ATM is a good deal, the USD has been down for a while so GTB should actually let you have more USD to knock down the rate against CAD but they wont because they make money from 2 points (the exchange rate which is hidden and the ATM charges that you see and focus on), very attractive and rewarding for them. And like I earlier wrote, it is worse when you take lower amounts as it raises the exchange rate when the ATM fee is added. Btw, I have maintained a spreadsheet for 3 years to track the rates from TD select service/wire transfer, GTB ATM card, a forex dealer and gas price ;the mastercard was consistently the worst performer but very good for emergencies.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
tinuadeadebola said:
@ Neddy congrats now the work begins!!!!
@ Dmac you are welcome all the best in the steps ahead

@ CFA Doc,

Congrats on your landing and thanks for sharing trust you are settling well? As per public transport in GTA I can identify with you on that even though I have not been to Canada I know a lot of friends in UK who dont own a car and even when they do they drive mostly at weekends because of the effective public transport system but same cannot be said of North America as their public transport is not like that of UK, haven said that the issue of car depend on individual circumstances, your financial strength, family composition, early job openings etc hence no generic solution everyone should adopt what best suit him or her.

@ Tito, good to hear from you again and thanks for shedding more light on the topic I guess those of us yet to land are so privileged to have this wealth of knowledge before landing so we are armed with enough information to get us going, these are things you can't buy with money hence we do not take it for granted.

@ all let's utilise the opportunity we have as our landed seniors did not get this much during their time but we thank God that we are moving this time when they had gone ahead to pay the price hence we don't have to suffer what they suffered lol, the issue of drivers licence have been severally discussed hence any one that lands with a fake one has only himself to blame, am still here but I already have idea of rent per month, how much a car cost dealer or auction option, the phone company not to use, what I require to enroll the kids to school, how I can quickly gain Canadian experience and so many too numerous to mention courtesy of landed seniors ain't I blessed?

Cheers all as we look forward to more pprs and MRs this week!!!!
My sister..how are you and the family? I am still here though, can't remember when you are landing but sure you have started giving out the stuffs you won't need?

All the best!

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Folks,

Here is the link to one of the best sites I have ever used, it is a site for those focused on everything and everything. Tons of good stuffs in there (plus some junks too) but you should never have to complain about cost of items anymore. There is a reason it is called redflagdeals!

Don't look for Tito there, I have another strange name on the site :D

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-new-used-cars-us-up-30-cheaper-read-post-1-a-307601/1423/

All the best!

gabrilla

Jul 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/1/2012
AOR Received.
23/2/2012
IELTS Request
SUBMITTED WITH APPL
Med's Request
31/01/2014
Med's Done....
17/02/2014
Interview........
WAIVED IJN
Passport Req..
27/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
08/04/2014
LANDED..........
SUMMER IJN
Mrs Costa D, please the information below is for your attention. Kindly get in touch with AVO before you move to avoid any problem. I got this information from another forum

Dear Mr.

In order to continue processing your application, we require the additional documents listed below. Please send clear legible photocopies rather than the original documents unless otherwise specified. If the documents are not written in either English or French, please enclose a certified translation with a photocopy of the original document. Updated forms which are available on our website:

New Application for Permanent Residence IMM0008 form New Schedule A/Background Declaration form for you and your spouse New Schedule 4 Provincial Nominee form New Additional Family Information form IMM5406 for you and your spouse

Please forward all requested documents together to the address below within 60 days from the date of this email. If we do not hear from you within that period, your application will be assessed on the basis of the information on file and your application may be refused. Please allow four months for us to review incoming correspondence. All documents submitted in support of your application are subject to verification with the issuing authority. Please do not contact us unless there are significant issues which need to be brought to our attention. Please quote your file number on all correspondence, including the envelope. Your file number is included in the subject field of this email.

Should your personal circumstances (address, marriage, divorce, birth, death, adoption) change between now and the time you leave for Canada you must report the changes to us. Visas issued without the correct information concerning family status are invalid and admission to Canada will be refused.The issuance of an immigration visa does not ensure your eventual acceptance into the practice of your profession or occupation in Canada. It is your responsibility to determine whether any licensing/registration requirements apply to your occupation or profession in the province where you wish to settle. Do not leave employment, sell property or take any irrevocable step in anticipation of immigrating to Canada until you have received your visa(s).

We look forward to hearing from you within 60 days.

Yours sincerely,

EFL Immigration Section/Service d'immigration High Commission of Canada/Haut-commisariat du Canada 1 Grosvenor Square London W1K 4AB/Londres W1K 4AB United Kingdom/Royaume-Uni Government of Canada/Gouvernement du Canada

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
Tito,

Thanks for the URL below.... Highly appreciated

+1 for you 8)

tito said:
Folks,

Here is the link to one of the best sites I have ever used, it is a site for those focused on everything and everything. Tons of good stuffs in there (plus some junks too) but you should never have to complain about cost of items anymore. There is a reason it is called redflagdeals!

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-new-used-cars-us-up-30-cheaper-read-post-1-a-307601/1423/

All the best!

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
tito said:
Folks,

All the best!
Good one!!!
+1 from me too :D

Dmaks

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-12
Doc's Request.
03-05-12
AOR Received.
22-03-12
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
01-10-12
Med's Done....
05-10-12
Passport Req..
12-12-12
Tito
The redflag link is really good.
Amazing savings !!!
I hope there's no catch?
You know ... Like those contract terms and conditions in tiny prints.

Or is it my Naija mind finding this hard to believe?

I guess this Canada project requires a major paradigm shift (for me o).

DonBaker

Star Member
Aug 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
File Transfer...
23-01-2010
Med's Request
27-02-2012
Med's Done....
11-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2012
LANDED..........
@CFAdoc & @Tito,
Thanks a lot for you wonderful posts. You guys have truly opened our eyes to a lot of truth about our proposed destinations and how to approach it. Very good insights indeed.

Please can the landed seniors recommend an insurance company we can use for Health insurance coverage for our families when we arrive Ontario while we wait for the Health cards to be issued. I understand it takes about 3 months wait before the cards are issued and that it might be a grevious mistake not to have a coverage while waiting.

Please recommend the best and possibly the most affordable insurance firms to use for this.

Thank you.

neddy

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gabrilla said:
Neddy,congrats on your ugwu leaf, have you started packing?. enjoy the fun.

Dmaks,you are welcome to the forum.
thank you

gel003

Sep 27, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2011
AOR Received.
In Process 16-07-2013
Med's Request
30-08-2013
Med's Done....
02-09-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-09-2013
LANDED..........
15-01-2014
Neddy Hearty Congratulations on your PRV... God will guide and direct U and ur family through the remaining process... when do u intend to land? i know its Calgary all the way. Pls send my regards to ur wife. i know she wil be full of excitement..

i am very happy for you guyz.

CONGRATS ONCE AGAIN

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Congrat Neddy.How marvelous is our God.

Tito and cfadoc,thanks for all the advice,God bless you all.

Ig

Hakpoguma

Mar 25, 2012
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8/05/2014 (ie 8th May 2014)
@Tito...thanks for this - useful for good planning whilst with Visa re already landed or trying to land.

tito said:
Folks,

All the best!

neddy

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gel003 said:
Neddy Hearty Congratulations on your PRV... God will guide and direct U and ur family through the remaining process... when do u intend to land? i know its Calgary all the way. Pls send my regards to ur wife. i know she wil be full of excitement..

i am very happy for you guyz.

CONGRATS ONCE AGAIN
Thank you so much.

chizzy

Star Member
Apr 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
11-01-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
22-11-12
Med's Done....
05-12-12
Interview........
hoping its waived.
Passport Req..
22-08-13
Good day my brothers and sisters here,
I have silently been following this thread though I am more active on the LVO thread , am a Nigerian but applied through London visa office,
I have few worrying questions to ask please,
I am the PA ,just got my caips and noticed they are about to request for a PC from Benin for my hubby, on the caips they wrote sPOUSE STUDIED IN BENIN "REQUEST FOR SPOUSE BENIN PC"
My hubby studied at University of benin in Edo state, and submitted his school credentials,
we have provided the Nigerian PC which they stated we wount be providing it again according to the Caips notes, my question is:
*Do Nigerians provide PC city by city, I mean for any city or state they have been at witten Nigeria?, or just a general PC which we have submitted with the application , could this also be a mistake to ask for Benin PC thinking its Benin Republic which is a country on its own,
Now what do I do?, can I write the VO based on the notes written on my caips?.
Please my people I need your help.
Goodluck and God bless everyone :)