VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Hi guys,

Another night of worry for me and some assistance would be appreciated.

I'm days away from submitting my eApr.

My *example* name is Marie Louise Jones. That's my birth certificate name and the name in my passport.

My name day to day is Marie-Louise. It's how my parents wrote out my name and something that I occasionally use.

I'm usually careful to make sure my legal name without the hyphen is on official documents but I have come to an issue.

In my PR app it asks about other names used. I thought that it's best to say yes and list the hyphened name. I have got a one and the same name affidavit and my uk PCC has both names as "No Trace".

The hyphen appears on my 2012 T4s but not my 2013 T4s. CRA have not queried this. Am I over worrying about a "-"?

Will a brief explaination of "I'm not sure if the use of hyphen counts as a different name but I have listed it here" with the affidavit be enough?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
An alias is usually declared. A - can make a diff depending on CIC.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Well I'm declaring it in my PR application of course. A one and the same name affidavit and PCCs showing all clear on both names proves there's no security issue.

My job letter from HR has Marie-Louise but my managers letter has Marie Louise.

I think in the past I considered 'known by another name' as referring to a married name.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
kryt0n said:
Well I'm declaring it in my PR application of course. A one and the same name affidavit and PCCs showing all clear on both names proves there's no security issue.

My job letter from HR has Marie-Louise but my managers letter has Marie Louise.

I think in the past I considered 'known by another name' as referring to a married name.
known by another name is an alias. name before marriage usually comes under maiden name.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
xpressentry said:
known by another name is an alias. name before marriage usually comes under maiden name.
Yes... I know the terms.
I've seen people here suddenly realise their fathers names are in their passports etc and haven't noticed before.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
I think if you attach a LoE stating that Marie Louise and Marie-Louise are the same person.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
xpressentry said:
I think if you attach a LoE stating that Marie Louise and Marie-Louise are the same person.
Yes. In this application I already have a one and the same name affidavit signed. I just realised that in past applications I did not mention my hyphen name.

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Hi guys,

Another night of worry for me and some assistance would be appreciated.

I'm days away from submitting my eApr.

My *example* name is Marie Louise Jones. That's my birth certificate name and the name in my passport.

My name day to day is Marie-Louise. It's how my parents wrote out my name and something that I occasionally use.

I'm usually careful to make sure my legal name without the hyphen is on official documents but I have come to an issue.

In my PR app it asks about other names used. I thought that it's best to say yes and list the hyphened name. I have got a one and the same name affidavit and my uk PCC has both names as "No Trace".

I've realised though that I likely didn't declare my hyphen name version in my past IEC visas. Is this going to be a major issue? The hyphen appears on my 2012 T4s but not my 2013 T4s. CRA have not queried this. Am I over worrying about a "-"?

Will a brief explaination of "I'm not sure if the use of hyphen counts as a different name but I have listed it here" with the affidavit be enough?
Hi Kryt0n,

I have the similar issue as yours. My passport has "AAAAA BBBB", but my bachelors and systems engineer work in India as "AAAA B". I got the one and the same person affidavit. You can modify the below template. Hope this helps you.

Please find the sample affidavit format. I believe you can get the affidavit from lawyer or oath commissioner.

AFFIDAVIT
ONE AND THE SAME PERSON

I, the undersigned, Mr. AAAAAA BBBBBB, aged 29 years, residing at Ontario, Canada, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare on oath that:

1. I am the deponent herein and a citizen of India.
2. I was born on X, 1986 in City, State, India.
3. My birth name is AAAAAA (First Name).
4. My father’s first name was mentioned as initial in some of my documents.
5. Therefore, the following names refer to the one and the same person:
a. AAAAAA (First Name) BBBBBB(LastName)
b. AAAAAA (First Name) B(First letter of my LastName)

The above are the variations of the same name and should not be considered name changes.

So I do hereby solemnly affirm that foregoing are true and correct statements.

Place: City, Province, Canada
Date: XX-Sep-2016 DEPONENT

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Thank you.

I already have had a one and the same name signed. Much simpler than that though.

Just a "I declare that Marie-Louise and Marie Louise are one and the same person".

I first read your example as AAAA (first) BBBB (middle) and would have said that AAAA B are usual ways of listing a first and middle initial, but as you say it's your last name that's a bit different I guess :)

Thank you for your help though.

Que Em

Apr 14, 2016
LANDED..........
2017-07-17
kryt0n said:

I've realised though that I likely didn't declare my hyphen name version in my past IEC visas. Is this going to be a major issue? The hyphen appears on my 2012 T4s but not my 2013 T4s. CRA have not queried this. Am I over worrying about a "-"?

You're good to go. You've done well enough to explain your situation.

Even though it's not another/other name, still it's better to mention it and explain in the LOE. An affidavit is a plus. You've already covered all the requirements here and there's nothing to worry about your previous apps.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp#wb-auto-18

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Que Em said:
You're good to go. You've done well enough to explain your situation.

Even though it's not another/other name, still it's better to mention it and explain in the LOE. An affidavit is a plus. You've already covered all the requirements here and there's nothing to worry about your previous apps.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp#wb-auto-18
Thank you, very much. You always swoop in when needed :D

(I blame my parents... they never could decide what to call me!)

Que Em

Apr 14, 2016
LANDED..........
2017-07-17
kryt0n said:
Thank you, very much. You always swoop in when needed :D

(I blame my parents... they never could decide what to call me!)
No problem. You're welcome. :)

Crunchuu

Nov 25, 2017
I have similar problem.

My name is S U I and I would write it in hyphenated style like S-U-I.

Before marriage, there was no surname and my full name was like
1) on Passports, S-U-I [with hyphens]
2) on Degrees, S U I [without hyphen]

After marriage, the name changed to S-U-I H [Given name: S-U-I Surname: H]
However, on documents, the name is mentioned as follows.
1) on Passports, S-U-I H [with hyphens in Given name]
2) on bank account title, S U I H [without hyphen]

The fact that hyphens were missed in old UNIVERSITY DEGREE and current BANK ACCOUNT TITLE was because of the limitations of the software being used by these institutes, which didn't allow adding hyphens.

Please suggest do i need to provide TWO affidavits, 1 for legal name change and other for one and the same person?
Or Can one affidavit be good enough?

Can someone please share an appropriate text to submit to CIC in this regard.

Looking forward for a prompt repose.

Many thanks.