Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May 2011
Okay so,

I'm currently sponsoring my Husband. All our proofs such as emails, wedding invitation, cards etc has me as my nickname not as my firstname......... Would it be a problem? I didn't mention it on the application..

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
nick name as in Cutie Pie....or nick name as in your name is Susan and people call you Janice? lol

I think if its as obvious as "cutie pie" they will get that its a nick name but if its not so obvious maybe best to let them know :)

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same predicament, we use "Stage names" For instance his name is Daniel and he signs everything Octavius.
I also wonder if this will appear odd.

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
Not sure if those other people are being sarcastic or not! If its a different name to whats on your birth certificate and passport i'd let them know asap or it could cause confusion later on in the application.

lands

Jan 28, 2010
I agree with Sliver... it clearly states in the guideline that you need to include the name on your passport and or birth certificate..if it is different please let them know asap..

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The sponsored person has a place in the application to include other names he/she is known by. The sponsor doesn't. I included my husband's nickname in that list. When filling out the family part of the application, I just put their nickname in parentheses after their 'real' name, if it was not the official first name that they use. For example: Father: John Albert Smith (Jack); Mother: Mary Agnes Smith (Agnes).

For emails, cards, etc., I would attach an explanation at the beginning of that section stating who the nicknames belong to. 'Snookums' is what I, John Jones, call my wife, Mary Jones. 'Sweetie pie' is what she calls me.
For the photos, I put a note at the beginning of the photo section stating my husband's full name and the nickname I call him, and my full name. Then in the captions I used my first name and his nickname, since that is what we call each other really.

Just include an explanation of who the nicknames belong to before each relevant section of your evidence, and you should be fine.

B

boyee6576

My husband calls me Boyee and its nowhere close to my real name. I gave my husband a nickname also and its not even close to his name. In emails you have the To and From portion which will have who the email is to and from with hopefully real names so that shouldnt be a problem if you write dear snuggles. The email address is there for them to see who its to and from. On cards and letters if you sent your envelopes also they will see who the letter is from and it shouldnt be a problem. In our essay portion we wrote the fact that we call each other these names and where we got their significance. But if you didnt do that hopefully the IO is smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. If your application is now at the embassy that will process it, I would fax them a letter of explaination if your worried about it. Put your name address, date of birth and file number on the fax.

CDNGirl

Star Member
Apr 28, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May 2011
Thanks all,

It's not really like 'Cutiepie' on my wedding invitiation........ It's like a whole different name... lol
for example; My first name is Shanella, but my family and close ones been calling me Michelle all my life.

What should I do?

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
haven't you indicated the nickname in the section on your application that says "other names used"

I think it could be a problem but not such a biggie .... what you can do is let them know that you have made a mistake and inform them that you are also called by XYZ name.

In my signature, I use my nickname (Steve) beside my legal name just so they know who they are dealing with cuz on most of my support letters from friends, etc, our nicknames were used.

Doesn't hurt to clarify such mistake with CIC

CDNGirl

Star Member
Apr 28, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May 2011
I just faxed over a letter to POS clearifying it..
Hope those idiots make use of it... ???