+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nice article-Landing

bluepine

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Landing Experience(From USA to Vancouver)
I tried to be as accurate as possible for providing the below information. Use it at your own risk.

Before the trip
Proper planning is very important. We did a lot of research before our trips. We searched the webs and read misc.immigration.canada regularly. And we subscribed to van-immi@yahoogroups.com. From the mailing lists we got to know friends even before moving there and they are very helpful in providing tips, sharing their experience and even checking out the apartment for us.
We got our apartment through www.aptrentals.net before moving there. It was very easy as they checked and accepted our US credit history and they also charged our US credit card for rental deposit and first month rent: All through Internet. You may also search the classified sections of www.vancouversun.com to find rental housing. It is important to avoid the trouble spots*, the most notorious one is the East side of Vancouver downtown(area around East Hastings and East Pender). Also do not assume that it is OK to stay 20 miles from downtown. This is because there're few freeways in the greater Vancouver area and most of the time you'll be travelling in local routes with numerous lights to cross(El Camino Real). For eg: It takes 1.5 hour to drive from from Richmond to Coquitlam(20 miles). The suburbs are OK.

We checked www.carclickbc.com to check automobile ads and www.mybc.com to check furniture prices. Also we found that ca.yp.yahoo.com is outdated. Relying on it, we can't find the ICBC office in Richmond and thought the nearest costco is in Burnaby while there's one at Bridgeport road in Richmond.

As we would be driving, it is important to check weather forecasts along the way. The biggest threats are snow, icy roads, fogs, heavy rains and nightfall. We customized MyYahoo! page to display weather forecasts along the way: CA: San Francisco, Redding, Mt Shasta, Yreka OR: Medford, Salem, Eugene, Portland WA: Olympia, Seattle, Burlingham BC: Vancouver. The weather.com provides 10 day forecast. It was impossible to plan perfect weather as we had to book our U-Haul early. So by common sense we start driving at 8am(Sunrise 7am) and stop at 5pm(Sunset at 5pm). We also planned our routes through Yahoo's driving directions and getting maps from AAA. A cellphone will help as you don't want to stuck in the Oregon mountain in case your car breaks down. Do remember to get local maps too.

Other than personal documents, it is important to bring your US bank statements,latest payslip,employment verification letter,driving record,claim history from car insurer,US driving license and your first driving license(wherever in the world).

Cash availability is very important and you don't want to panic when it takes two weeks to clear your bankdraft. Here are some tips:

Open an account remotely(locally if Canadian bank is available and wire some money before leaving:
There are strict requirements in this respect. They'll ask for notarized copies of two Ids(one must be passport), signature card verified by your local bank, certified cheque for initial deposit and your US bank's reference letter addressed to the Canadian bank. I can't get a reference letter addressed to HSBC bank from Bank of America. In 1998 I was able to get it from my local BoA branch but in Oct 2000 they said I had to call customer service so I did. The first time they sent me a letter addressed to me(not acceptable to HSBC) so I called again. The second time the customer service from Concord promised to send but it didn't arrive after 2 weeks so I called again. The third time the customer service from Los Angeles said it is their policy not to send me the letter which was addressed to HSBC but they promised to send it to me. The letter never arrived. I was kept waiting for a month on false hope by BoA. Bank of America is not the same Bank of America I used to know where service is superior.

Bring traveller's cheque:
If you're AAA member, you can get it for free. Important thing to note is HSBC said anything above US$2000 is suspicious for money laundering. So you may want to deposit 2k in one bank and the other 2k in another bank.

Bring US$ cashier cheque:
This'll take 2 weeks to clear. See below for tips to have it cleared immediately

Exchange and bring some CAD too:
You'll need it before you get a chance to go to the bank. It is hard to find a currency exchange in the bay area. The ones I know are either the airport or American Express travel office.

Bring all related documentations:
Your latest US bank statement, your payslip and employment verfication letter are very important to earn the trust of Canadian bank. If they trust you, they can even cash your US$ cashier cheque on the spot!

Bring your US credit cards:
Be sure to call your the issuers to tell them you are traveling to Canada and will charge your cards there.
The Trip
It was a one thousand miles journey from San Francisco to Vancouver. We rented a 10 foot U-Haul(Toyota 3L V6) and filled it up with all our possessions. I was worried about the load as people have warned me earlier that it'll have a hard time climbing the two mountains along I5. However it turns out that it can manage to go at 50mph(OD off) while climbing the steepest slope. There're two steep mountains to climb along the way: Redding,CA to Eugene,Or and Northern part of Washington state.
It was Saturday and there's heavy traffic on the bay bridge as a result we lost 2 hours of precious time. We drove along I80 and then I505 and then I5 and spent our night in Yreka. It is important to see the motel/gas station along I5 before you exit. The next day at Medford we saw a gas station sign and exit and to our horror, we couldn't go back to I5. It took us almost an hour to find our way back to I5 by trial and error as we don't have local map and all people we asked don't know how to go to I5. Also we kept a close watch on our Uhaul by parking it in front of our motel room. Small towns are in fact safer and cheaper than big cities. We stayed over at Tacomas and drove all the way to the border the next day.

At the Border
If you have some unfinished business with INS or US custom, you better find out in advance how to get there. The map won't show you where the INS/US Custom is and it is better to call them. I don't have any business with them and I don't see the sign along the border.
We arrived at the Canadian post in the morning. The officer at the booth asked us what's our business and we told her we are landing. She asked us our country of citizenship, whether we bring any drug or weapon and refered us to the immigration office and custom office. So we parked our UHaul and entered the immigration office. There's no line at all. The officer asked to see our passports, landing papers and asked us to take a seat. She said she'll call us if she needed anything. She called me twice: first to ask where to find the passport validity date and second to ask how much money I bring and possess in US. So I told her the amount and she converted it to CAD and entered in the landing paper.

I was nervous because our fellow H1B holders who abuse Canadian immigration by landing and then moving back to US for good have created an impression that all H1B holders are potential abuser of Canadian immigration system. I even read report from misc.immigration.canada that Canadian officers demanded H1B holders present evidence of resignation. That proves to be wrong. I guessed I am better off as I came with a truck load of household goods but I was really nervous when she asked me how much money I have in the States as I parked most of my money in BoA. so I quickly added I changed the landing date from January to Nov and the money are all tied up in CDs. She didn't seem to be interested at all. I was over worried. She did ask me whether my H1B status has terminated and I told her no and I have to go back to settle my things there. No more question! I want to appeal to H1B holders who have obtained landing paper but not serious in immigration to Canada, not to do so! I have risked my family and my life to drive one thousand miles in harsh road condition in order to prove to the Canadian immigration that I am not abusers. We could have just sold everything and take a plane!

The officer finished entering our landing paper, make a copy and staple it to our passport. She gave us a Canadian flag and some settlement information and without any expression she told us we are now landed immigrants and have the same right as Canadian citizens except to vote. So we went on to the custom office and the officer there was happy to see my list of goods accompanying and to follow. I asked her whether she wants to check the truck and she said no. So the next moment I was on highway 99 and on my way to Richmond.

The New Life
Driving
Highway 99 is very narrow and the speed limit is 90kmh(54mph). Most of the roads in the greater Vancouver are local, two lanes and El Camino Real type. Speed limits are either 50kmh(30mph) or 60kmh(36kmh). The reason is not because they lack money but because they want to preserve the old small town feeling, to prevent pollution and for safety purpose. There're much much less traffic here than the bay area. The traffic jams occurred mostly along the bridges during rush hour. One thing to note is that not all roads have left turn signals so you have to drive your car to the middle of the junction and wait and make your left turn when the incoming traffic stop.
Driving Direction & Maps: maps.yahoo.com

Public Transit
In Greater Vancouver, the public transits consist of buses and skytrain. Check this out: Transit Link(953-3333 540-3040)

Housing
Richmond is quite flat and is a farmland. The airport is on the North West corner. The houses in Richmond are pretty nice and better off than many neighborhoods in the bay area. They look like houses in Cupertino and cost around CAD300k. The houses in West Vancouver are just like those "palaces" in Palo Alto and for CAD700k you can own one. It is low season and a good time to buy houses now as agents and banks are struggling to get business. The peak season is in April/May time as it is school opening time.
We rented a two bedroom in Richmond for CAD830. If you don't mind to live in a basement, it is around CAD600. Vancouver is more expensive than nearby towns.

There're laws to protect both tenants and landlords. Check this out:
Trac's Tenant Hotline (255-0546 1800 665-1185)
Residential Tenancy Branch (660-3456 1800 665-8779)
The people's law school, Suite 150-900 Howe St, Vancouver, BC (688-2565).

SIN Card & MSP
To apply for SIN(Social Insurance Number) card, go to the nearest HDRC center. We went to the one at Buswell street in Richmond. We brought our passports and our landing papers. We were given receipts. Also we were given a copy of MSP(provincial medicare) application form. We filled it up and mailed it with a check for first month premium and copies of our landing paper(no need to be certified). MSP will be effective 2 months + balance of the month of the time of landing. So you might save some insurance money by choosing to land near the end of the month. During the waiting months you can purchase health insurance from private insurers like Blue Cross or Liberty Health. For about CAD150 per month they cover emergency and hospitalizations for your family. You still have to pay the full amount for normal clinic visits. My wife visited the doctor at Blundell medical clinic once that costs CAD42. No appointment is needed for this clinic. The same urgent care facility(ie no appointment needed) costs US$150 in the bay area.
HDRC OFFICES(Inquiry Line: 682-5400):
6511 Buswell Road, Richmond, BC V6Y 3B5 (273-6431)
125 East 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5T 1Z3 (872-7431)
#415 Sinclair Centre, 757 West Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6C 1A1 (681-8253)
4242 Fraser St, Vancouver, BC V5T 1Z3 (666-2306) (appointment required)
200-4980 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4L1 (437-3761 ext 337) (appointment required)
#101-32560 Simon Avenue, Abbotsford, BC V2T 5L7 (854-5852)
#203-2963 Glen Drive, Coquitlam, BC V3B 2P7 (464-7144)
20621 Logan Avenue, Langley, BC V3A 7R3 (533-1201)
22335 Lougheed Highway, Maple Ridge, BC V2X 2T3 (467-5515)
#100-624 Agnes St, New Westminster, BC V3M 1G8 (526-4511)
1111 Lonsdale Ave, North Vancouver, BC V7M 2H4 (988-1151)
7404 King George Highway, Surrey, BC V3W 0L4 (590-3346)
www.hrdc.gc.ca/common/home.shtml

Medical Services Plan
4603 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC (683-7151 1800 663-7100)
www.hlth.gov.bc.ca/msp

Pacific Blue Cross, B.C.
Liberty Health

Taxation
Personal Income Tax is high in Canada but not as high as 50% as people claim(that's the top bracket). If you earn $60,000 per year and your wife has no income, the combined Federal Tax, Provincial Tax and Payroll Tax(Canadian Pension Plan & Employment Insurance) is around 28%. Of course more taxes will be withheld if you contributes to RRSP.
Sales Tax: GST 7%(Federal), PST 7%(BC) = 14%. No sales tax for food bought in supermarket. No PST for restaurant bills & labor.
Top Capital Gain Tax: 24%. Interest Income is considered personal income.

You may also claim tax-free Canada Child Tax Benefit if you qualify: www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/benefits/childbenefit-e.html
I recommend you go through their worksheet to see how much you are entitled to get. For new immigrants, it depends on your prior year's world wide income. For eg July 2001 to June 2000 payments depends on your 2000 world wide income. They'll require you to declare your world wide income and as usual always tell the truth otherwise you might get yourself into troubles. Also both you and your spouse have to file a return each with CCRC even if you have no income.

For income tax filing, your income prior to landing is not subject to Canadian tax. For eg if you land on 1 Oct 2000, your worldwide income from 1 Oct 00 to 31 Dec 00 will be subject to Canadian tax. You also have to pro-rate non-refundable credits such as personal and spouse credits. Foreign source income will be subject to tax treaties and you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit and avoid double taxation.

Banking(IMPORTANT!)
I heard many horror stories of banking in Canada. It doesn't happen to me at all! In fact the bank I went to: Royal Bank is in fact better than Bank of America. I think it is the branch thing and the branch is recommended by my apartment manager who appreciated their good service:
Royal Bank of Canada
No 5 Road and Cambie Road branch
1-11600 Cambie Rd, Richmond, BC V6X 1L5

The bank officer welcomed me to Royal Bank, opened a checking account for me, cashed my two USD4000 cashier cheques and USD3000 traveller's cheques IMMEDIATELY! With CAD2000 down as 2 year GIC, she even gave me a credit card. I told her about the horror Canadian banking stories I heard and why I am so lucky and she told me it is because I came with full documentations. I had my passport, landing paper, California driving license, BoA statement, latest payslip and employment verification letter(US employer). So LISTEN, bring these documents when you go to bank and try to go to this branch in Richmond!

Car
With immediate cash availability, we were able to purchase a car. In BC there's no title and everything from registration, plate to insurance is handled by ICBC. The only thing you need to be careful is the so-called "lien-check" if you are not buying from dealers. Each dealer has to pay a good amount of deposit to the government so if they cheat the deposit will be used to compensate the consumer. You have to be careful with smaller dealers though as I understood that they got their cars from auctions by big dealers. And why the big dealers don't sell it themselves? It must be because it is hard(high mileage or mechanical problems) to sell. I tried the cars from both small and big dealers and I can tell the difference immediately. That's why people are paying only CAD6000+ for a 1992's Toyota 4Runner. So buy your car from big dealers and you won't be sorry! Cars are about 30% cheaper than US. For used car the mileage could matter as you can imagine most of the roads in BC are local.
There's a Richmond Auto Mall that you can try(No 6 and Westminster). It reminds me of Fremont Auto Mall.

Finally be sure to bargain as the BC economy is not good now and the dealers are having bad business. Good time for bargain hunter.

Driving License
From Nov 26,2000 onward, you have to prove that you have 18 months driving experience before they can convert your US license to full BC driving license. As the renewed US driving license does not show the first date you obtain the license, a driving record from DMV is needed. Alternatively a current or expired license from another country can also used in conjunction with your US driving license as proof. You can only change a US or Japan driving license to a full BC driving license. The license must be changed within 90 days from landing. Check www.icbc.com for more details.
Driver License OFFICES(Inquiry Line: 661-2255):
5740 Minoru Blvd, Richmond
4126 MacDonald St, Vancouver
800 Hornby St, Vancouver
2277 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
125 East 13th St, North Vancouver
13426 78th St, Survey
22787 Dewdney Trunk Road, Maple Ridge
20290 Logan Ave, Langley
556 Lougheed Highway, Coquitlam

Food
Richmond is a heaven for Asian food lovers. There're hundreds of restaurants in Richmond alone. And the food taste much better than the restaurants in bay area. Dollar to dollar, it is more expensive here and they give smaller portions. This is because most produces and meats are imported at this time of the year and a lot from California. To get cheap produce, go to the farmer market. There're many farms in Richmond and they usually sell their produce in their store. Here yo can get a cabbage for CAD0.29 a pound. The local produce taste better than the California one for eg the carrots and potatoes are sweeter. To get cheap seafood, go the Steveston's wharf where you get 3 pound of shrimps go for CAD5. The availability of vegetables and seafood depends on season, of course. Chicken wings/breast and beef are cheaper than California. The locally produce chicken also taste better than California one. Don't know why. Maybe there're too much steroids in Californian one. Also you'll find live fish is cheaper than dead fish here. In action stores like Yaohan and T&T, you can get a live fish for around CAD3 a pound wheareas a dead fish like Salmon costs at least CAD5.99 a ound. I think that's the difference between local produce and imported food.
No more buy one get one free in Safeway. The cheapest grocers here are the real Canadian superstore and costco(cheapest egg CAD0.15 for xtra large one). Kmark's equivalent is Zellers. Macy's equivalent is The Bay.

Also, be sure to bring one dollar coins for shopping carts. What they charge you one dollar for using the shopping carts each time? No!No!No! You get your one dollar back when you return the cart. Also in the superstore, be prepared to pay CAD0.04 for each plastic bag. Expect a environ charge of CAD0.20(ie CRV here) for each plastic bottle. I think they tried to conserve the environment.

Garbage
Separate your garbage into a few categories:
containers(plastic & metal)
folded cardboards
I can't remember
others

Safety
Canadian are generally safer than the States. That's why you see all the serious crimes in the papers. In US they don't even bother to report it. There are lot of thefts here though. Vancouver is the capital of car thefts. So get an immobilizer(ie no one can drive your car without your key) and don't leave anything in your car. Houses are protected with alarms and get a dog if you can.
And Vancouver is also the drug capital. Criminals grow Marijuana in their homes.

Weather
It is rainy and cloudly most of the time. Sometime it is dark for the whole day. Richmond has less rain fall than Vancouver(30% less).

School
The schools are well equipped. Each neighborhood has a school so that kids can walk to school.

Jobs
The BC economic is the worst in Canada. While the rest of the country is booming, BC is struggling. Thanks to years of NDP rules. However high-tech workers and nurses are in great demand in BC. There's a plan to make Richmond the silicon valley of Canada. Of course paywise you have to be satisfied. After all you have already save on housing, car and furniture. For a IT worker with 6 years of working experience, the pay is around CAD50k to CAD80k.

People
The Canadians are very friendly people. They make me feel at home.

Emergency/Reference Numbers
For Ambulance, Fire & Police call 911.
Federal Reference: 1800 622-6232 Provincial Reference: 660-2421
Canada Immigration Centres, 1148 Hornby St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2C3. (666-2171)
Business Immigration Office, #655-999 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1(844-1800)
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, Vancouver Airport, (666-1802)
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, 333 Dunsmuir St, Vancouver (666-0545)

Host Programs & Immigrant Settlement Services Organizations The host program introduces you to Canadian friends who will help you learn about life in Canada and become acquainted with Canadian culture and practise English:
Immigration Services Society-Vancouver (684-7498)
North Shore Multicultural Society-North Vancouver (988-2931)
S.U.C.C.E.S.S - Coquitlam (936-5900)
Richmond Connections (279-7020)
Surrey-Delta Immigrant Services Society (597-0205)
Abbotsford Community Services (859-7681)
Penticton & District Multicultural Society(492-6299)

Check out the list of Immigrant Settlement Services Organization from www.amssa.org:
www.amssa.org
Some of these settlement organizations are:

Richmond Connections, #190-7000 Minoru Blvd, Richmond, BC (279-7020)
Richmond Multicultural Concerns Society (279-7160)
Burnaby Multicultural Society, 6255 Nelson Ave, Burnaby, BC (431-4131).
Immigration Services Society of BC Settlement Office, 530 Drake St, Vancouver, BC(684-7498)
Immigration Services Society of BC Training Institute, #501-333 Terminal Ave, Vancouver(684-2561)
Inland Refugee Society of BC. #101-225 East 17 Ave, Vancouver (873-6660)
KIWASSA Neighborhood Services Association, 2425 Oxford St, Vancouver (254-5401)
Langley Family Services 5339-207th St, Langley, BC (534-7921)
MOSAIC, 2nd floor, 1720 Grant St, Vancouver, BC (254-9626)
Multicultural Family Centre 1145 Commercial Dr, Vancouver (254-6468)
North Shore Multicultural Society, #102-123 East 15th St, North Vancouver,BC (988-2931)
Options: Services to Comm. Society, #100-6846 King George Hwy, Surrey BC (596-4321)
Pacific Immigrant Resources Society 385 Boundary Rd, Vancouver, BC (298-5888)
SUCCESS-United Chinese Community Enrichmond Services Society
28 West Pender St, Vancouver (684-1628)
5836 Fraser St, Vancouver (324-1900)
#220-7000 Minoru Blvd, Richmond, BC (279-7180)
#2058-1163 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam, BC (468-6100)
10160 152nd St, Surrey, BC (588-6869)
Mandarin Services Centre, 203-8268 Granville St, Vancouver(323-0901)
Small Business Training and Development CEnter, #501-1788 West Broadway St, Vancouver (732-3278)
Newcomers Integration Network for Tri-city, #2058-1163 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam, BC(468-6100)

Surrey Delta Immigrant Services Society, #1107-7330 137th St, Surrey, BC (597-0205)
The family & Education Support Centre 22554 Lougheed Highway, Maple Ridge, BC (467-6055)
Vancouver & Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services Society
#306-4980 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC (436-1025)
Vancouver Society for Immigrant & Visible Minority Women, #204-2524 Cypress St, Vancouver, BC (731-9108)
Free English Language Services For Adults(ELSA) The ELSA is funded by the provincial government and is free for students:
Western ESL Services #102-395 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1A7 (876-5756)
CLBA Testing Centre #250-7525 King George Highway, Surrey, BC V3W 5A8 (507-4150)

Useful links

Citizenship/Immigration Canada
Canadian Consulate Buffalo
House Government Bills
Canadian Immigration Info

AMSSA
CRS Encyclopedia For Vancouver British Columbia Canada
Canadian Databank - New Arrivals to Canada
CITY OF RICHMOND | HOME

Carolyn's Canadian Immigration Information
Rajan's Landing Experience

Exchange Rates | Rates | Personal Banking | HSBC Bank Canada
Royal Bank -- Vacation Essentials

Pacific Blue Cross, B.C. Life, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Liberty Health

Canadian tax calculator
Tax-Newcomers to Canada
BDO Dunwoody Tax Facts Index:
Canada & Canadian Income Tax Links, Sites & Pages by Anancyweb ©:

VANCOUVER'S LARGEST APARTMENT RENTAL GUIDE
TVTimes Online - Canadian TV Listing and Television Information
Yahoo! Canada
Yahoo! News Full Coverage-Canada
E*TRADE Canada

minus360

Star Member
Mar 19, 2009
London, England, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2009
Doc's Request.
July 2009
File Transfer...
April 2009
Med's Request
Sep. 2009
Med's Done....
Oct. 2009
Interview........
NIL
Passport Req..
March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
June 2010
WOW, this is a very detailed guide! not a landing experience but an entire guide to the Canadian life expectation. GREAT JOB!

C

cchabert

Very Nice job, congratulations!! Very good tips, I just have a question about the U-Hall:

1.- When you rent the truck did you told them that you're leaving the USA to Canada?

2.- How much approx. the cost was?

I'm in Georgia and I'm planning to drive to Alberta, any more tips on the trip?

Thank you again and congratulations!

Cheers!

Ra00

May 29, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
very fruitful post:)
I heard that cars are expensive in Canada as compare to US. please correct me if this is not the case
Cars are about 30% cheaper than US

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
This is the first time I see this in any forum... what about the residency obligations where you must be present in Canada 2 years out of 5 to keep residency? has this changed? I mean if I comply with this rule then Canada should not have any problem with what I do with the other 3 years... as far as I am not doing anything illegal?

"...I was nervous because our fellow H1B holders who abuse Canadian immigration by landing and then moving back to US for good have created an impression that all H1B holders are potential abuser of Canadian immigration system. I even read report from misc.immigration.canada that Canadian officers demanded H1B holders present evidence of resignation. That proves to be wrong. I guessed I am better off as I came with a truck load of household goods but I was really nervous when she asked me how much money I have in the States as I parked most of my money in BoA. so I quickly added I changed the landing date from January to Nov and the money are all tied up in CDs. She didn't seem to be interested at all. I was over worried. She did ask me whether my H1B status has terminated and I told her no and I have to go back to settle my things there. No more question! I want to appeal to H1B holders who have obtained landing paper but not serious in immigration to Canada, not to do so! I have risked my family and my life to drive one thousand miles in harsh road condition in order to prove to the Canadian immigration that I am not abusers. We could have just sold everything and take a plane!...."

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Good Information, many thanks!

Noticed that some of the links doesn't work, also it appears this information is from the year 2000-2001, since then, many things have changed. Looks like banking is a problem, what if someone came from a country other than US, I am not sure why they ask for letter from employer when you already left the country and the job. Banking seems to be major issue as they are tracking every $2000, in US it is 10,000 and above - weird.

Rest of the information is very useful - thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it seems to be an old article but a lot of the info is still good. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Royal Bank (RBC). I have heard mixed opinions about them. CIBC tends to have the worst reputation though and I have personal experience with them myself. I have generally heard good things about TD (Canada Trust) and BMO. There are a lot of other banks too like Citibank, Scotiabank, HSBC etc.

I also wouldn't agree that BC has the worst economy in Canada. Maybe this was true at some point in the past but in the past few years, they have been doing well and their unemployment rates are among the lower.

When I came to Canada in 2002 and opened a bank account, I was told that I couldn't get a credit card because I didn't have a job. Later when I had a job, they said I had to have been working for one year. If you have the same problem, do not open an account at that bank, go to another bank instead. Also make sure you bring a reference letter from you bank back in old country and if you have credit cards there, bring them too. The reference letter should say how long you have been at that bank, that you make your payments on time and they are happy with you as a customer. The credit cards from back home can help, even if you don't use them because you may be able to use them as insurance to help you get utilities hooked up, rent an apartment etc. I never had any problems wiring money from my bank in old country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ingegarcia said:
This is the first time I see this in any forum... what about the residency obligations where you must be present in Canada 2 years out of 5 to keep residency? has this changed? I mean if I comply with this rule then Canada should not have any problem with what I do with the other 3 years... as far as I am not doing anything illegal?
I assume this is in reference to people who apply to immigrate to Canada as a backup while waiting for green card, land to activate their PR status and then never actually move to Canada because their GC came through or because they still had their jobs in the US or whatever. There's still no law against it and I don't know if IO's ever demanded to see that people had cancelled their H1B's before letting them land or even if they would have the right to do that after their PR visa has been issued. If this article really is from 2000 or 2001, the residency requirements would have been 6/12 months and not 2/5 years so most of these people would have lost their PR's pretty fast anyway.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Thanks Leon... that makes sense

Leon said:
ingegarcia said:
I assume this is in reference to people who apply to immigrate to Canada as a backup while waiting for green card, land to activate their PR status and then never actually move to Canada because their GC came through or because they still had their jobs in the US or whatever. There's still no law against it and I don't know if IO's ever demanded to see that people had cancelled their H1B's before letting them land or even if they would have the right to do that after their PR visa has been issued. If this article really is from 2000 or 2001, the residency requirements would have been 6/12 months and not 2/5 years so most of these people would have lost their PR's pretty fast anyway.