+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus - Lived in US and Canada

gabriel_evb

Dec 3, 2016
Hi All,

I have a question and I couldn't find anywhere.

I lived in the US for 2 years with a J1 Visa and I lived in Canada with a Work Permit for almost 3 years, and I'm about to receive my PR.

Am I going to be eligible for Nexus once my PR arrives? I travel to the US as a tourist quite often and would be nice and helpful to have Nexus, but on the website states being resident of Canada for 3 years but don't state as having PR for 3 years, or living there for 3 years and doesn't say if having total of 5 years in both countries count.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The very first line of the Nexus eligibility page:

You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the U.S., or a Mexican national who is also a member of the Viajero Confiable program.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ah, I misread your question.

The next sentence is this:
Permanent residents of Canada and the U.S. must have resided as legal residents of Canada or the U.S. for a minimum of three years before the day of application.
As it's written, your time legally resident in Canada as a worker should count. However, I would expect that someone at CBSA/US CBP would disagree and say that the three years starts counting from when you receive your PR.

gabriel_evb

Dec 3, 2016
Ah, I misread your question.

The next sentence is this:

As it's written, your time legally resident in Canada as a worker should count. However, I would expect that someone at CBSA/US CBP would disagree and say that the three years starts counting from when you receive your PR.
I see, ok. Thanks for the update, I think I will try once I receive my PR to see what happens.