+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus dual citizenship

astrogal86

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
Hi

Wanted to see if anyone here knew how to update Nexus status to reflect dual citizenship. I got my nexus card as a US citizen but since I just became a Canadian citizen as well I am just wondering how to update my Nexus status. I tried to log into my account to add it but there is nowhere to do that so I am guessing I have to go to an office to get this updated.

Thanks in advance for your help

may_dec

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Fredericton, NB
Category........
FAM
Yes, this is an old thread. We're in the same situation - my partner has a NEXUS card based on US citizenship, and we're expecting a brand new Canadian passport any day now. We believe that we should go to an enrollment center to have the new citizenship and passport added to the NEXUS profile.

We've contacted two (US) enrollment centers at land borders. One is convenient for us and is actually open on Saturdays, but when we spoke with them, the CBP officer said as far as the US is concerned, there's no need to do anything, and they don't have access to the systems to do it anyway. Another enrollment center, which is somewhat less convenient, also reported that there's no need to do it, but at least they know what to do (provided their systems aren't down when we show up !). Going there would mean taking time off work, and 1.5 hours driving each way - and then they might not be able to help.

We called the CBSA NEXUS help line for our region (we're in NB) and got an automated message that all enrollment centers are closed for the pandemic. This is clearly untrue - there are two at land crossings, and one at Halifax airport. We tried calling the number for Ontario, and got a human who had never heard of the "walk-in" process, and doubted that it was possible. He suggested waiting for the card to expire and adding the new citizenship then. He didn't think that it mattered to CBSA.

And, just to complete the story, email queries to both CBP and CBSA have gone un-answered after 2 months (both generated auto-responses that suggested that we *might* get a response)

This is all fairly academic for us now. We once used NEXUS a lot when we lived on opposite sides of the Niagara frontier, but it's not much use here, as the NEXUS lanes are only open for local commuters with very limited hours. It's still very useful when we're back in ON or NY for holidays. So we want to do the right thing when we're able.

Does anybody have any evidence to contradict the "we don't care" attitude that we got from both CBP and CBSA ? Can we just continue to use the card until we happen to be someplace where we can do the walk-in ?

Reactions: Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Does anybody have any evidence to contradict the "we don't care" attitude that we got from both CBP and CBSA ? Can we just continue to use the card until we happen to be someplace where we can do the walk-in ?
I have evidence to support your experience. USA doesn't care about my Canadian citizenship, and vice versa. I have been able to update passport expiry dates whenever either changes in the TTP portal but never added a citizenship. I was already dual when I applied to Nexus. Interesting that you also noticed the vast disparity between information given by phone handlers and border agents. I believe this is largely due to tenure and experience with Nexus, and other TTP, programs. Trying with several agents, I've usually managed to find some agent who gives the proper info (usually "older" ones).

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Yes, this is an old thread. We're in the same situation - my partner has a NEXUS card based on US citizenship, and we're expecting a brand new Canadian passport any day now. We believe that we should go to an enrollment center to have the new citizenship and passport added to the NEXUS profile.

We've contacted two (US) enrollment centers at land borders. One is convenient for us and is actually open on Saturdays, but when we spoke with them, the CBP officer said as far as the US is concerned, there's no need to do anything, and they don't have access to the systems to do it anyway. Another enrollment center, which is somewhat less convenient, also reported that there's no need to do it, but at least they know what to do (provided their systems aren't down when we show up !). Going there would mean taking time off work, and 1.5 hours driving each way - and then they might not be able to help.

We called the CBSA NEXUS help line for our region (we're in NB) and got an automated message that all enrollment centers are closed for the pandemic. This is clearly untrue - there are two at land crossings, and one at Halifax airport. We tried calling the number for Ontario, and got a human who had never heard of the "walk-in" process, and doubted that it was possible. He suggested waiting for the card to expire and adding the new citizenship then. He didn't think that it mattered to CBSA.

And, just to complete the story, email queries to both CBP and CBSA have gone un-answered after 2 months (both generated auto-responses that suggested that we *might* get a response)

This is all fairly academic for us now. We once used NEXUS a lot when we lived on opposite sides of the Niagara frontier, but it's not much use here, as the NEXUS lanes are only open for local commuters with very limited hours. It's still very useful when we're back in ON or NY for holidays. So we want to do the right thing when we're able.

If the CBP people told you that there is no need for it, then is there any reason to believe that otherwise?

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020

I had a different experience contacting CBP through the web form. Here is their response and it appears that they ask me to update the Canadian citizenship change:

Updates to your visa(s), citizenship or immigration status, date of birth, gender, or legal name, and the addition of new documents (such as a second passport or new visa) can be completed by our office. Please read the information below carefully and reply to this message with the information requested below.

NAME CHANGE: Please reply to this message with a color image of your passport reflecting the name change.
CITIZENSHIP OR IMMIGRATION STATUS CHANGE (U.S. citizenship, U.S. LPR status, and Canadian LPR who became a Canadian citizen OR relinquishment of citizenship or residency status): Please reply to this message with images of your new passport, permanent resident card, or relinquishment document.
DRIVER'S LICENSE UPDATE (FAST only): Please reply to this message with an image of your new driver's license.

Address information, phone number, and employment information do not need to be updated until you renew your membership. If you have submitted an application already, you will need to wait until your interview to make any changes.

You can update documents already associated with your account by logging into your TTP Dashboard https://ttp.dhs.gov/ and clicking on "Update Documents" on the right side of the page. Please note that you will not have this option if you have a pending application.

Driver's License information (renewal only, NOT name or state changes)
Legal Permanent Resident Card (LPR)
Vehicle Information (not VIN number)
Passport (renewal passports only, not name changes or new passport types)

Changes are automatic and no further action is required.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the Traveler Communications Center.

may_dec

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Fredericton, NB
Category........
FAM
I had a different experience contacting CBP through the web form. Here is their response and it appears that they ask me to update the Canadian citizenship change: [...]
CITIZENSHIP OR IMMIGRATION STATUS CHANGE (U.S. citizenship, U.S. LPR status, and Canadian LPR who became a Canadian citizen OR relinquishment of citizenship or residency status): Please reply to this message with images of your new passport, permanent resident card, or relinquishment document.
[...]
Thank you again for contacting the Traveler Communications Center.
Can you tell us when you had this communication ? Other threads in this forum have suggested similar email processes during the pandemic. I wonder if this is no longer available. Are you willing to share the email address they gave, or was it tied to a ticket number ?

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Can you tell us when you had this communication ? Other threads in this forum have suggested similar email processes during the pandemic. I wonder if this is no longer available. Are you willing to share the email address they gave, or was it tied to a ticket number ?
I received this response on Apr 6, 2023. So it's quite recent. I submitted the NEXUS request at
https://help.cbp.gov/s/questions?language=en_US and CBP responds with email address cbpinfocenter@cbp.dhs.gov . And yes, it's tied to a Case Reference showing in the email subject.