+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus conditionally approved. Tips for interview?

Mission_2015

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO transferred to WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent along with appln (UK & IND)
Nomination.....
PER recd 30-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with appln
File Transfer...
Second line update on 18/04/2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
TLU on 26-05-2015
Interview........
Waived, DM on 26-08-2015
Passport Req..
04-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-03-2016 @ YVR
Quink said:
You put the information of whatever citizenship you hold (doesn't have to be US or Canadian, as long as you're a Canadian PR and can provide the card number). There are probably exemptions though, but as long as you are allowed to enter both countries and have the appropriate US visa (or are visa exempt with ESTA) it'll be fine.
So a US visa is required to apply for a Nexus Card. I was under the impression that Nexus card substitutes for a US visa

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Hi guys,

Now that I'm (finally) a PR with my PR Card safely in my wallet, I've applied for Nexus and have been conditionally approved. My interview is scheduled in about 10 days from now and I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this and has any tips or things I should prepare for.

I've heard that they ask you what your job is and say that you have to keep them updated if you change jobs, however I've also heard from people that weren't told to do this. I'm leaving my current job about 2 weeks after my Nexus interview so I'm wondering if this will be a problem? I might also potentially end up being self employed as a freelance worker too, but that's not for sure yet. Should I tell them that's what I'm thinking or just leave that out?

I'm a United States B1/B2 Visa holder which expires late 2017 (even though I'm from Australia and I'm technically visa exempt and don't need ESTA). Will they still issue me a 5 year Nexus without my B1/B2 lasting that long?

I'm not too worried about all this, and I think it's going to be fine, but just wanted to see if the brains of this forum had any input on the matter.

Thanks! :D
Hi Quink,
A quick question, do you need to have a valid US visa to be approved of NEXUS?

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Hi Steaky,
Ya I will apply for visa but just to get the card, do I need a visa? Or I can apply for visa parallely as they are processing my card. I always happen to get one year visa so I was wondering if having the nexus card will give me a 10 year visa. Thanks a lot for your reply, I appreciate it a lot.
See the reply above!

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
The Nexus application requires you to fill in the details of your PR Card which you won't know until you receive it. Technically a CoPR is supposed to be enough, but the online form does not have anywhere you can enter it. I read on this forum a while ago that someone was able to do it somehow, but I couldn't figure it out.

The PR Card number is just your UCI, so you should already know that anyway, but you won't know the expiry date which is also a required field on the form. I suppose you could just guess and then update it during the interview (but not sure if they'll frown on you doing that), and you're going to need it in your possession anyway. If you can find a way to do it earlier before you get your card please let us know because others will find that info useful in the future.

How you were able to add UCI in the online application?
The A-number for a permanent resident card issued by CANADA must be exactly 8 digits in nnnnnnnn or nnnnnnnn format.

and my UCI is 10 digits
@scylla

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
Hello,

I am applying for a Nexus card, and I am not able to figure out my PR Card number. I have my PR card approved per online status but haven't got it in the mail. While waiting for the Card, I thought of applying for nexus card ( it take months, so each week counts for me).

GEOS online Nexus application wants you to give your PR Card number in format only.
The A-number for a permanent resident card issued by CANADA must be exactly 8 digits in nnnn-nnnn or nnnnnnnn format.

From posts I have read, people had 8 digit UCI back in 2016 or earlier, but from what I see from my UCI and friends who have got it this year have a UCI of 10 digits.

Now, from online application, I have these numbers :

1) Application Number : RXXXXXX
2) UCI Number : 11XXXX [ 10 digits]
3) Document Number : 11XXXXX [ 8 digits]
4) Travel Document Number : My passport Number.

Does anyone know if any of the above is actually the PR CARD number [ 8 digit is only document number] or there is something else physically on the card which is "8 digits in nnnn-nnnn or nnnnnnnn format".

Jodie0982

Oct 23, 2016
Niagara Falls
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
08-08-2016
Doc's Request.
20-04-2017
AOR Received.
29-08-2016
Med's Request
20-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017 (passed in mycic July 10)
LANDED..........
19-09-2017
Hello,

I am applying for a Nexus card, and I am not able to figure out my PR Card number. I have my PR card approved per online status but haven't got it in the mail. While waiting for the Card, I thought of applying for nexus card ( it take months, so each week counts for me).

GEOS online Nexus application wants you to give your PR Card number in format only.
The A-number for a permanent resident card issued by CANADA must be exactly 8 digits in nnnn-nnnn or nnnnnnnn format.

From posts I have read, people had 8 digit UCI back in 2016 or earlier, but from what I see from my UCI and friends who have got it this year have a UCI of 10 digits.

Now, from online application, I have these numbers :

1) Application Number : RXXXXXX
2) UCI Number : 11XXXX [ 10 digits]
3) Document Number : 11XXXXX [ 8 digits]
4) Travel Document Number : My passport Number.

Does anyone know if any of the above is actually the PR CARD number [ 8 digit is only document number] or there is something else physically on the card which is "8 digits in nnnn-nnnn or nnnnnnnn format".
No, you have to wait for your PR card to come in the mail, it will have the 8 digit ID Number that you need to apply for a Nexus card (it is not on your Confirmation of PR). I filled out all of my application without it and once I received my card I finished the application and applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch671

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
No, you have to wait for your PR card to come in the mail, it will have the 8 digit ID Number that you need to apply for a Nexus card (it is not on your Confirmation of PR). I filled out all of my application without it and once I received my card I finished the application and applied.
It is advisable with PR card not required (COPR is good . your UCI is your ID number (10 digits for me) Though in online application it only allows 8 digits, so I filled out last 8)...

I am a approved member now

Reactions: Jodie0982

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
One doesnt need PR card. I applied without pr card.
Once can use UCI which is the pr number or can apply simply with landing document via paper based application (fill it out - no hassle of validation). In the pr card we can see the number in the format nnnn-nnnn.

It is advisable with PR card not required (COPR is good . your UCI is your ID number (10 digits for me) Though in online application it only allows 8 digits, so I filled out last 8)...

I am a approved member now
There is no issue in applying without PR card - no safety net or increased approval chances if we apply with pr card. its the same process. If we wait for pr card then we waste time. Sometimes people even dont get pr card. So waiting is unnecessary. Eligibility is all about if that person resides and travel legally between countries.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
It depends on if you are a US Citizen, or if you have been in Canada for a while.

If you have been living in Canada for 3 years (and have not lived at all in any other country for that three year period), you are potentially eligible. The same is true if you are a US citizen.

If not, the answer is no.
I recently got conditionally approved since I have lived in the US for over 7 years as a student and now I have a Canadian PR. I will be moving there this year as soon as I get a job.

My interview is scheduled next week. Will it be an issue with CBSA that I have been a PR since 6 months but have not moved there yet? I can give the honest answer that I wanna move with a job instead so that settling will be easier. Is that OK? Technically I still meet my Residency Obligation since I became a PR 6 months ago.

Also, when they ask "why you need a NEXUS card?", is it OK to say "so that I can do TSA pre-check and easily travel to US (say over Niagara) for shopping and stuff?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I recently got conditionally approved since I have lived in the US for over 7 years as a student and now I have a Canadian PR. I will be moving there this year as soon as I get a job.

My interview is scheduled next week. Will it be an issue with CBSA that I have been a PR since 6 months but have not moved there yet? I can give the honest answer that I wanna move with a job instead so that settling will be easier. Is that OK? Technically I still meet my Residency Obligation since I became a PR 6 months ago.

Also, when they ask "why you need a NEXUS card?", is it OK to say "so that I can do TSA pre-check and easily travel to US (say over Niagara) for shopping and stuff?
It's always best to just give an honest answer. And yes, your answer to why you want it is good enough. My wife told them she just wanted it because I had it and she wanted to get over the border with me thru nexus.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
It's always best to just give an honest answer. And yes, your answer to why you want it is good enough. My wife told them she just wanted it because I had it and she wanted to get over the border with me thru nexus.
Thanks. Actually I had a gotten a job offer in a tech startup in Toronto early this year but as I was negotiating the contract and salary, they told me they had to close shop because their key employees resigned. I'll make sure I take those relevant emails along just in case CBSA decides to question me about the moving process.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Another quick question: It seems I will be interviewed by CBP as well as CBSA. How does this work? I am traveling to Sweetgrass Montana enrollment center which is a land crossing. Do they make me go over to the Canadian side after my CBP interview is done?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Another quick question: It seems I will be interviewed by CBP as well as CBSA. How does this work? I am traveling to Sweetgrass Montana enrollment center which is a land crossing. Do they make me go over to the Canadian side after my CBP interview is done?
I'm assuming that all offices work the same way, but I could be wrong. Our interviews were in Toronto and both officers were interviewing us at the same time.