+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus Card Impact

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
I am not sure I agree. My husband is allowed to travel to the US purely with his Nexus card, but he is a Canadian citizen.

I have a German passport and I HAVE to have my German passport on me when crossing the border with my Nexus card. I also need a current travel visa if I cross the border.

The only advantage I have is that I can use the Nexus line when at the border.

So in my case the Nexus card by itself does not allow me to cross the border.
I'm confused. Are you also a dual citizen (which Germany generally doesn't allow, but permits in certain cases) or are you just a German citizen with Global Entry [who is eligible for GE once cleared by the German Federal Police + application made & approved by US]?

If you have a Global Entry card, then that is a travel document in the sense that you can use it to enter the US from the Canadian border via land or sea. GE card is not accepted by air and a passport must be used at US CBP Preclearance locations. And a GE card is not valid for entry by air into Canada (although it is valid as proof of identity under WHTI to enter Canada via land/sea, you just don't get the NEXUS lane/benefits).

A Global Entry card can and should get you into CATSA Trusted Traveler Lanes. Despite having the NEXUS logo at the lanes, it is published on the CATSA website (and their employees know) that Global Entry members are allowed in the line.

US CBP lists multiple countries where their citizens can apply for GE (Aregentina, Australia, Canada, Colombia, Germany, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Panama, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland, UK). NEXUS says US/Canadian Citizens, US Canadian Permanent Residents, and Mexican nationals in Viajero Confiable. No mention of German citizens being eligible for NEXUS at all.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure I agree. My husband is allowed to travel to the US purely with his Nexus card, but he is a Canadian citizen.

I have a German passport and I HAVE to have my German passport on me when crossing the border with my Nexus card. I also need a current travel visa if I cross the border.

The only advantage I have is that I can use the Nexus line when at the border.

So in my case the Nexus card by itself does not allow me to cross the border.
It's a travel document.

Natan

May 22, 2015
I'm confused. Are you also a dual citizen (which Germany generally doesn't allow, but permits in certain cases) or are you just a German citizen with Global Entry [who is eligible for GE once cleared by the German Federal Police + application made & approved by US]?

If you have a Global Entry card, then that is a travel document in the sense that you can use it to enter the US from the Canadian border via land or sea. GE card is not accepted by air and a passport must be used at US CBP Preclearance locations. And a GE card is not valid for entry by air into Canada (although it is valid as proof of identity under WHTI to enter Canada via land/sea, you just don't get the NEXUS lane/benefits).

A Global Entry card can and should get you into CATSA Trusted Traveler Lanes. Despite having the NEXUS logo at the lanes, it is published on the CATSA website (and their employees know) that Global Entry members are allowed in the line.

US CBP lists multiple countries where their citizens can apply for GE (Aregentina, Australia, Canada, Colombia, Germany, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Panama, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland, UK). NEXUS says US/Canadian Citizens, US Canadian Permanent Residents, and Mexican nationals in Viajero Confiable. No mention of German citizens being eligible for NEXUS at all.
Strictly speaking, a Global Entry card is not a travel document, as it does not facilitate international travel (in lieu of a passport). Global Entry provides its members expedited entry into the U.S. (e.g., the use of NEXUS and TSA PreApproved lines).

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trans/guide-eng.pdf

By air: can be used as a primary travel document by citizens of the U.S. and Canada coming from the United States only—using automated self-serve kiosks available at designated international airports;
Yes by citizen of the Us or Canada but not by for example myself. Even on flights I am obliged to bring my passport, but frankly I don't care. Had my interview and no problem. Also, I wonder why it is not mentioned as an example on the document list? If it would be that vital they would mention it?

Last edited:

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes by citizen of the Us or Canada but not by for example myself. Even on flights I am obliged to bring my passport, but frankly I don't care. Had my interview and no problem. Also, I wonder why it is not mentioned as an example on the document list? If it would be that vital they would mention it?
Are you actually unable to read? It makes reference to it being a "primary" travel document for those mentioned. It's still a travel document for anyone who has the card! What is with the struggle here...

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All you geniuses on this form should continue to give your opinion vs focusing on fact. Continue to suggest to would be applicants that they do the wrong thing - just for the hell of it. Sometimes I wonder why some of us both on these forms - when all we deal with is this nonsense.

Fact: No one got into trouble or had an application rejected for being honest.

rafaelrms

Sep 30, 2012
I had 20 trips since I came to Canada, most of them are work related, ranging between 1 & 5 days duration. So, it seems that RQ is unavoidable!
I had 34 trips in the relevant period and I had no further questioning or request for explanation. The process was delayed checking with CBSA though.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Having a Nexus card didn't help my husband. He had his card well before he even became a PR and still got RQ'd when it was time to apply for citizenship.
What was the main reason of the RQ? extensive travel history, i guess?

rafaelrms

Sep 30, 2012
During my interview (after citizenship test) the officer tried to match some of my listed trips with stamps in the passport. She couldn't find some of the stamps, questioned me and I explained I used my Nexus card. She then asked for it during the interview, and took a copy as well, even though I had submitted a copy during the original application. After shoe told us that she would request the list of entries to CBSA. It took four weeks to get done and changed to DM. No RQ at all.