+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus Card Impact

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
I will be applying for my citizenship in October (under the old rules). I'm bit worried about the flood of the applications when C6 is in place.
I'm currently holding a Nexus card and I wonder, if the card improves/expedites the processing of citizenship application, since security screening took place before acquiring the card.
I would like to get the experience of other people who applied for the citizenship with Nexus card, specially that I have full time job, since I moved to Canada, so there will be no issue with proving my residency (I assume).

rafaelrms

Sep 30, 2012
I applied with a Nexus card, it made no difference. Make sure to include a copy of your Nexus card as it is considered a "travel document".
If only, it makes it worse if you have frequent travels. Some people that had their interview at the same time/after than I did had their status changed to DM the next day after the interview, mine took 4 weeks as they verified the trips with CBSA

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
I applied with a Nexus card, it made no difference. Make sure to include a copy of your Nexus card as it is considered a "travel document".
If only, it makes it worse if you have frequent travels. Some people that had their interview at the same time/after than I did had their status changed to DM the next day after the interview, mine took 4 weeks as they verified the trips with CBSA
I had 20 trips since I came to Canada, most of them are work related, ranging between 1 & 5 days duration. So, it seems that RQ is unavoidable!

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I have applied but did not make a copy of my nexus card. It was no problem at all. I never showed it.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have applied but did not make a copy of my nexus card. It was no problem at all. I never showed it.
That's great but the secret when applying is to answer as honestly as possible. A Nexus card is technically a travel document so a copy should be provided. You will never encounter a problem or be rejected for being honest and transparent. Omitting information can be grounds for misrepresentation.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I had 20 trips since I came to Canada, most of them are work related, ranging between 1 & 5 days duration. So, it seems that RQ is unavoidable!
I don't think it would be "unavoidable ", especially if it is just short trips with clearly documented records

Reactions: Katayoon

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
I will be applying for my citizenship in October (under the old rules). I'm bit worried about the flood of the applications when C6 is in place.
I'm currently holding a Nexus card and I wonder, if the card improves/expedites the processing of citizenship application, since security screening took place before acquiring the card.
I would like to get the experience of other people who applied for the citizenship with Nexus card, specially that I have full time job, since I moved to Canada, so there will be no issue with proving my residency (I assume).
In my opinion, Nexus card is not travel document, it just a document which expedites your entry to USA that derives it validity from other documents such as passport and visa.

Security screening has limited validity period, besides security screening done for CBSA may not be shared with CIC or IRCC. In other words, your nexus security screening will not have any impact on your citizenship application.

In order to have a smooth citizenship application, build adequate residency buffer and fill your application carefully and completely without missing any dates and provide all the supporting documents(including nexus for the peace of mind)...

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
FLOOD? Seriously? Do you understand flood means? Unexpected water level increase cause flood, not expected one. People those are victim of c-24, are not unexpected applicant. In fact most those people stayed more time in canada than you. They know canada more , they paid taxes more than an c-24 applicant. I don't want to fight or say anything negative towards c-24 but when people use the word "Flood" , I have a problem with that. In fact, Once c-6 starts, C-24 new applicantions should be in pause till all the Victim's one done.
Yes, 250,000 applicant in a very short period is a FLOOD, which will jam the whole system. C6 maybe activated before I qualify under C24, and i will be part of that FLOOD :)
BTW, I'm one of the c24 victims and soon will be one of the c6 victims :)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
FLOOD? Seriously? Do you understand flood means? Unexpected water level increase cause flood, not expected one. People those are victim of c-24, are not unexpected applicant. In fact most those people stayed more time in canada than you. They know canada more , they paid taxes more than an c-24 applicant. I don't want to fight or say anything negative towards c-24 but when people use the word "Flood" , I have a problem with that. In fact, Once c-6 starts, C-24 new applicantions should be in pause till all the Victim's one done.
Your logic is so strange ... if someone is eligible under C24, then he would be even more eligible under C6 - how does it make him pay less tax and know Canada less than C6 applicants?

Reactions: walmzd

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my opinion, Nexus card is not travel document, it just a document which expedites your entry to USA that derives it validity from other documents such as passport and visa.

Security screening has limited validity period, besides security screening done for CBSA may not be shared with CIC or IRCC. In other words, your nexus security screening will not have any impact on your citizenship application.

In order to have a smooth citizenship application, build adequate residency buffer and fill your application carefully and completely without missing any dates and provide all the supporting documents(including nexus for the peace of mind)...
In your opinion? It can be used in place of a passport - I can assure you it's a travel document.

Reactions: bbssmm88

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You need to undertsnad math to understand this, not good in english.

People who is eligible now under c-24 , are in canana for last 4 yrs only. If they were in canada before then they would already applied before c-24 started in June 2015. They would be citizen by now. Yes, some of them here for long time, but not in huge number. Most C-24 victims here are students or in work permits who stayed long time before becoming PR. C-24 was active for 2 years only. If you count all the applications during those 2 years. 80% are in canada for 4 years .
No, it has nothing to do with English or math, it is your lack of common logic ... how is this true that 'People who is eligible now under c-24 , are in canana for last 4 yrs only'? I can give one simple example: anyone who came to Canada as a student in 2006-7, after 4 years of school, started working with permit in 2010-11, applied for PR under FSW or CEC, became PR in 2013, a few months short from being eligible before C24 started, but now eligible under C24, how long do you think they have been here? -- and where did you pull that 80% out of ? thin air... I guess?

Last edited:

Kev787

Apr 19, 2017
Agree, same with me. Its been a month and I am still waiting on DM due to CBSA verification

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having a Nexus card didn't help my husband. He had his card well before he even became a PR and still got RQ'd when it was time to apply for citizenship.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
In your opinion? It can be used in place of a passport - I can assure you it's a travel document.
You can assure yourself! Can you go to Japan with a Nexus card? You can with a Canadian passport!