+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus Card for Refugees

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Hello,

I was recently approved for Nexus card and I was asked to schedule an interview. In the application, I had to put my home country's passport information as it is required to provide information for proof of citizenship. Now because I don't have my national passport and it is seized by IRCC, I will be using my travel document. Do you think I can provide my Canadian Travel Document instead of my national passport? Or should I bring copy of my national passport? Do you have any experience about that?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I was recently approved for Nexus card and I was asked to schedule an interview. In the application, I had to put my home country's passport information as it is required to provide information for proof of citizenship. Now because I don't have my national passport and it is seized by IRCC, I will be using my travel document. Do you think I can provide my Canadian Travel Document instead of my national passport? Or should I bring copy of my national passport? Do you have any experience about that?
You will have to bring passport matching proof of identity submitted during your application, However you can call both side or bring both just in case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to bring your RTD because you will need to travel with your RTD not your passport. I would bring a copy of your passport information while clarifying that you are a protected person so can not use your passport and just provided the information because RTD was’t an option. Curious to see whether a protected person will be given a Nexus card. Not something that comes up frequently so unsure how difficult it will be to get approved.

Reactions: itzdrmac

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
You need to bring your RTD because you will need to travel with your RTD not your passport. I would bring a copy of your passport information while clarifying that you are a protected person so can not use your passport and just provided the information because RTD was’t an option. Curious to see whether a protected person will be given a Nexus card. Not something that comes up frequently so unsure how difficult it will be to get approved.
I am curious too. If I am approved, I'm also curious if I will be asked a lot of questions asked for refugee travel document holders at the Canadian border. I am not sure if I should wait for my Canadian citizenship to attend interview or I should attend with mt RTD, US Visa and my Canadian PR card.