+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus Card eligibility

srinikrish

Star Member
Dec 23, 2017
Hello,

I'm in US on H1B visa for more than 12 yrs and got the Canadian PR recently.
I'll be moving to Canada. Am i eligible for Nexus card with New Canadian PR & 12 yrs of US H1b visa?

Thanks,
Krish

sands.paul

Aug 7, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Finance Manager
AOR Received.
04-05-2019
Med's Done....
17-06-2019
Passport Req..
24-06-2019
even I am looking for an Answer for this, so that I can continue to work with US employer on daily commute.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

even I am looking for an Answer for this, so that I can continue to work with US employer on daily commute.
1. Difficult since the Nexus centers are closed until at least August 10th
2. Unless your job is essential, you won't be able to commute daily.

sands.paul

Aug 7, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Finance Manager
AOR Received.
04-05-2019
Med's Done....
17-06-2019
Passport Req..
24-06-2019
Hi

1. Difficult since the Nexus centers are closed until at least August 10th
2. Unless your job is essential, you won't be able to commute daily.

Thank you PMM.... I have a Canada PR and I work for a US employer. I have been in USA for 7 years and still working as of now. My Employer allowed me to work remotely within USA. I have not stayed in Canada after I softlanded (but I was in Canada for 1.7 months on work permit). I am thinking to move to Winsor and work in USA by having Nexus card. Will I be eligible, Can I do a daily commute. Please let me know.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you PMM.... I have a Canada PR and I work for a US employer. I have been in USA for 7 years and still working as of now. My Employer allowed me to work remotely within USA. I have not stayed in Canada after I softlanded (but I was in Canada for 1.7 months on work permit). I am thinking to move to Winsor and work in USA by having Nexus card. Will I be eligible, Can I do a daily commute. Please let me know.
1. No, if you haven't resided in Canada for nearly 7 years, you no longer meet your Residency obligations. So if you try to enter Canada there is good chance that you would be reported.

sands.paul

Aug 7, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Finance Manager
AOR Received.
04-05-2019
Med's Done....
17-06-2019
Passport Req..
24-06-2019
Hi

1. No, if you haven't resided in Canada for nearly 7 years, you no longer meet your Residency obligations. So if you try to enter Canada there is good chance that you would be reported.
This is wrong information. No where it’s mentioned 7 years. I don’t think for applying nexus you need 7 years stay inside Canada. You can even check all the posts as well Canada CIC website. if you have source link, pls share, else it’s ok

Reactions: umyla2

sands.paul

Aug 7, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Finance Manager
AOR Received.
04-05-2019
Med's Done....
17-06-2019
Passport Req..
24-06-2019
This is wrong information. No where it’s mentioned 7 years. I don’t think for applying nexus you need 7 years stay inside Canada. You can even check all the posts as well Canada CIC website. if you have source link, pls share, else it’s ok
Moreover, I don’t understand when you said, when you try enter Canada, reported. What’s is there to report when I don’t have nexus at all.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Read your own post "I have been in USA for 7 years and still working as of now "

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
What is wrong about it? If you were in the US for 7 years after you landed you dont meet RO anymore where you have to stay 2 out of 5 years in Canada and pre-PR time (work permit) doesn't count.

sands.paul

Aug 7, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Finance Manager
AOR Received.
04-05-2019
Med's Done....
17-06-2019
Passport Req..
24-06-2019
@skohli Hey I got some friends who has got nexus without even staying 3 years on PR in canada. They just ask for legal stay in either of countries. So it’s possible to apply.

disp.31089

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
@skohli Hey I got some friends who has got nexus without even staying 3 years on PR in canada. They just ask for legal stay in either of countries. So it’s possible to apply.
Hello @sands.paul , just wanted to see if you are able to comment on the 3 years at PR vs 3 years in visa in US or Canada.

My case - I've lived in the US on H1B from Aug 2014 to Aug 2019. Then moved to Canada on PR. Actual PR was received on Dec 2017.
Years in US/Canada - 6 years. Years in Canada as PR - 1 year

My wife's case - She moved to US on H4 in Jun 2016 to Feb 2018. Moved to Canada on PR. Actual PR was received on Dec 2017.
Years in US/Canada - 4 years. Years in Canada as PR - 2.5 years

Do you think we are both eligible for Nexus card?