+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEXUS Card and Citizenship background checks

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
I am not sure if anyone can provide an answer, but I thought to collect some input and brainstorm.
Do you believe that NEXUS Card holders can have their background checks done more quickly than non-NEXUS people?

Those who have a NEXUS Card already had to go through background checks in Canada and the US, and IRCC already has access to their fingerprints and even iris image. Shouldn't this simplify things at the background check stage?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure if anyone can provide an answer, but I thought to collect some input and brainstorm.
Do you believe that NEXUS Card holders can have their background checks done more quickly than non-NEXUS people?

Those who have a NEXUS Card already had to go through background checks in Canada and the US, and IRCC already has access to their fingerprints and even iris image. Shouldn't this simplify things at the background check stage?
No. The same background checks apply.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

I guess someone could commit a crime or an indictable offense after getting a Nexus card. Perhaps, that's why IRCC needs to run background checks again to make sure the applicant is still clean and eligible for Citizenship.

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016

Technically YES but realistically NO! :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Technically no, not at all. The respective agencies are required to do what they do to verify no criminal history or security concerns affecting eligibility for citizenship, for all applicants.

Practically, sure, the risk of concerns or issues is reduced. Prior checks and clearances are a fair indicator of what subsequent checks will show, subject to events in the meantime.

BUT applicants know their own history. They were there. Applicants at risk for complications in background screening, with perhaps a few exceptions, can readily anticipate concerns. Frankly, most of those who protest otherwise lack credibility.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
NEXUS is run by CBSA, Citizenship is handled by IRCC. They are two different parts of the Canadian government that have communication issues at the best of times, even when they work mutually on things like NAFTA work permits.

winpro

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Only Background checks done are CSIS security and the RCMP criminal clearance. If you don't have a hit, RCMP is done is 3 days. And CSIS in like a week or two.