+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEXUS application

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Let's just say no one asked and compelled you to answer anything. So I would say it's good to ignore sometimes when you either don't know the answer or are not willing to answer, rather than making smirky comments on people's queries. I have especially seen you doing that in multiple other forums, including citizenship one as well. If you don't want to answer or help, then just don't respond. Plain and simple. I know how difficult it is for a person with limited understanding to comprehend. So, I empathize with you buddy. cheers... ;)
I hope CBSA and CBP shows you the same level of empathy :D
Yeah you are now being ignored ;)

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Hello everyone, I submitted my Nexus application on January 20th, 2024, and a month later, I applied for an ATIP with CBSA to check the progress of the Risk Assessment. Today, I received my ATIP results from CBSA regarding my NEXUS file, and the status indicates "Pending Risk Canada." Upon reviewing the event history section of the ATIP, I noticed a message stating "US Risk result received - Pass" on January 21st, 2024. Does this mean that only Canada's risk assessment is left to be completed? It seems a bit unusual how quickly the US completed their risk assessment.
How long did the ATIP response took from the time of applying?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I converted my Global Entry status to NEXUS a couple of years ago when I became a PR. It was straightforward with just attending an interview at the office at Pearson airport.
My card expires in August of this year and I applied for renewal a couple of weeks ago. Due to the backlog, they mentioned that the cards would still be considered valid unless one had applied for the renewal for up to a year. I'll see how that goes but would be interesting to hear from others who are in the renewal boat how long that took. Did you have to do another interview?
renewals may be subject to another interview, yes. When I was doing my US interview (first card), the folks next to me were a family renewing theirs.

VenkateshNK86

Oct 16, 2022
I am a Canadian PR having L1B visa. While applying for the nexus visa, in the section 'Proof You May Enter the United States' when I enter the visa details by default the country of issuance is set to United States and I couldn't edit as I got my visa from Canada. Please advise.

vkbca

Mar 29, 2021
I am a Canadian PR having L1B visa. While applying for the nexus visa, in the section 'Proof You May Enter the United States' when I enter the visa details by default the country of issuance is set to United States and I couldn't edit as I got my visa from Canada. Please advise.
After you are conditionally approved, during the Nexus interview you can get it updated. Nothing to do now.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Here's my timeline for NEXUS with Canada PR

Applied: May-13-2023
Conditional Approval: Feb-23-2024
Interview: Mar-17-2024 approved
Received card: Apr-09-2024
Thanks for the update. Can I ask you a question, with Canadian PR, should we have to be physically present for three years in Canada to qualify for Nexus eligibility, or a PR status of 3 years is fine? I am asking for my friend; he has been a PR since 2019, but in between, he was out of Canada for two years. Is he fine to apply? Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for the update. Can I ask you a question, with Canadian PR, should we have to be physically present for three years in Canada to qualify for Nexus eligibility, or a PR status of 3 years is fine? I am asking for my friend; he has been a PR since 2019, but in between, he was out of Canada for two years. Is he fine to apply? Thank you
Google this info and you will all sorts of information...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/nexus-2-eng.html

If you are a permanent resident, you must have been a legal resident of Canada or the U.S. for at least 3 years before applying. You are exempt from the 3-year residency rule if you are:
  • serving in the American armed forces in a foreign country
  • a family member of a person serving in:
    • the Canadian or American armed forces in a foreign country, or
    • a Canadian or American diplomatic mission or consular post in a foreign country

https://canada-immigration-info.ca/nexus-eligibility.html#:~:text=You must have lived continuously,to get your NEXUS Card.

If you are a permanent resident the USA (a green card holder) or Canada (PR Card holder), you may be eligible to apply for a NEXUS Card. You must have lived continuously in the US or Canada (the country you are a permanent resident of) for at least 3 years.
If you are a national of a country that would normally require a visa to visit the country you are not a permanent resident of, then you will also need a visa to get your NEXUS Card. For Example: A permanent resident of Canada who is an Indian citizen and who has lived in Canada continuously for 3 years would still need a US non-immigrant visa to be eligible for a NEXUS Card.

There is an exception to the residence requirement. You may still be eligible if you do not meet the residence requirement if one of the following situations applies to you:
  • You work for the federal government of either Canada or the United States of America and this work causes you travel abroad to the extent that you do not live continuously in either country, OR
  • You are married to a Canadian or American citizen who is required by work to travel abroad and you accompany them; as a result you do not live continuously in either country.
https://www.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/vv1fxh

Last edited:
Reactions: sri88

vkbca

Mar 29, 2021
Residency and PR requirements need not be together. If you have lived for last 3 years in either US AND/OR Canada and you became PR today, you are eligible to apply for Nexus today.

Source: myself.

I have lived in US until 2022 (for over 5 years) and as Canadian PR since then. I applied for Nexus in 2023.

So you need not have lived for 3 years in the country of PR and all. You need to be PR at the time of application and satisfy the 3 year residency in either US AND/OR Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: sri88