+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus application requiring a permanent resident status documents.

johnny777

Aug 29, 2017
I have been a permanent resident of Canada all my life. I have applied for the Nexus card and now have an interview in a month and was just going through what I need to get ready to bring with me to the interview and one of the documents they state is a permanent resident status document. This is the first time that I've heard of this and as I read, it appears that I may not need this document.

Is that correct?

Or are their other documents that will suffice?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
don't you have your PR Card?

johnny777

Aug 29, 2017
No, only a Canadian birth certificate. This is the first time that I've heard of a PR card. After I did some reading, I found someone saying that they don't give these out to Canadian residents like me as the SIN number is located on our tax returns.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
No, only a Canadian birth certificate. This is the first time that I've heard of a PR card. After I did some reading, I found someone saying that they don't give these out to Canadian residents like me as the SIN number is located on our tax returns.
You are born in Canada that makes you a Canadian citizen, why do you need a PR card. PR means you're permanently residing in Canada but are a citizen of another country. Don't you have your Canadian passport? If you are a dual citizen you should be applying for a Canadian passport anyway since you are a citizen.

EDIT: Noticed that this question was quite old. So how did the interview go?

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I had my interview last week and here's the summary:
Interview was at US land border crossing. Very few people but it took about 15 mins per applicant. I reached VERY early expecting it to be empty and getting called early but people kept showing up and I finally ended up using my appointment time anyway. The CBP and CBSA officers were sitting side by side and one person at a time asked me questions. They were very very friendly and I felt absolutely comfortable; usually customs officials tend to be serious so this was a welcome change. The US official took fingerprints, checked my documents and asked me the standard questions like whether I've ever been arrested etc. I have a clean record and all documents so no problems there. The US officer asked me why I wanted the NEXUS card and I said I wanted to skip long lines and the officer proceeded to stress on the fact that I will be expected to inform the CBP of any significant changes in my status (address, visa, etc etc) and it was extremely important to do so. I replied in affirmative.

The CBSA officer also looked at my documents but only spoke about bringing goods into Canada and to declare ANYTHING that might be dutiable. The officer said that NEXUS members are required to know all the rules and regulations of bringing goods and "I didn't know that" doesn't work at borders and the membership can be revoked for any violations. He didn't ask me any questions at all. Nothing about my PR status or anything else. I felt it was more of an info session that an interview to be honest. They did not make me see any video as the video was playing on loop outside in the waiting room and I must have seen it a hundred times atleast. This center did not have a IRIS scan so I'll do it at an airport in the future.

Timeline:
Applied: Jan 16 2018
Condition approval: Feb 14 2018
Interview date: April 5 2018
Approval email: April 13 2018 (notice it took a week to get the email)
Awaiting card.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I had my interview last week and here's the summary:
Interview was at US land border crossing. Very few people but it took about 15 mins per applicant. I reached VERY early expecting it to be empty and getting called early but people kept showing up and I finally ended up using my appointment time anyway. The CBP and CBSA officers were sitting side by side and one person at a time asked me questions. They were very very friendly and I felt absolutely comfortable; usually customs officials tend to be serious so this was a welcome change. The US official took fingerprints, checked my documents and asked me the standard questions like whether I've ever been arrested etc. I have a clean record and all documents so no problems there. The US officer asked me why I wanted the NEXUS card and I said I wanted to skip long lines and the officer proceeded to stress on the fact that I will be expected to inform the CBP of any significant changes in my status (address, visa, etc etc) and it was extremely important to do so. I replied in affirmative.

The CBSA officer also looked at my documents but only spoke about bringing goods into Canada and to declare ANYTHING that might be dutiable. The officer said that NEXUS members are required to know all the rules and regulations of bringing goods and "I didn't know that" doesn't work at borders and the membership can be revoked for any violations. He didn't ask me any questions at all. Nothing about my PR status or anything else. I felt it was more of an info session that an interview to be honest. They did not make me see any video as the video was playing on loop outside in the waiting room and I must have seen it a hundred times atleast. This center did not have a IRIS scan so I'll do it at an airport in the future.

Timeline:
Applied: Jan 16 2018
Condition approval: Feb 14 2018
Interview date: April 5 2018
Approval email: April 13 2018 (notice it took a week to get the email)
Awaiting card.
Update:
Received card: April 20, 2018