+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Next Steps Post Favorable Alternate Dispute Resolution Outcome Challenging A PRTD Refusal?

Hibo03

Mar 6, 2024
Due to a family emergency, I had to leave Canada, causing my permanent resident (PR) card to expire while I was abroad. Subsequently, I applied for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) under Humanitarian and Compassionate (HnC) grounds, as I fell short of meeting the Residency Obligation (RO). With my application, I had provided a letter providing a brief explanation of the extraordinary circumstances that necessitated my presence outside Canada, hoping for it to be considered under HnC. Unfortunately, my PRTD application was rejected due to a determination of failure to meet the RO. I was advised that I could either appeal against the decision or accept the outcome, which would result in the loss of my PR status.

Subsequently, I filed an appeal with the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) and submitted all the supporting documents to support my claims. Fortunately, the appeal was resolved in my favor through the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process.

Now, I am unsure about the next steps that need to be taken to obtain a PRTD to travel back to Canada. My original PRTD application status still shows as rejected and has been closed. I am uncertain whether the visa office will reconsider my original PRTD application or if I need to submit a new application requesting a PRTD. Additionally, I am unsure if the IAD will initiate the process from their end and I should not take any unnecessary steps to further complicate the process, as it has already been 10 months since I first submitted my PRTD application .

I kindly request fellow members to share their valuable insights if they are aware of the next set of steps to be taken. I would greatly appreciate any inputs and assistance.