+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

News about the relative whose address was used, being arrested. Sounds funny!!

rhetorisch

Jun 12, 2008
Hi everyone,

I contacted a friend of mine in Toronto to request him to collect our PR cards, and mentioned that I would provide the IO with his address when landing. His response was flabbergasting. He asked me not to use his address as I wasnt going to be in Canada for more than a week and Immigration authorities go around checking if the newcomer is ACTUALLY living at the address provided.
He further said that a colleague of his was arrested because somebody (known to his colleague ofcourse) had provided his address for delivery of the PR cards. My friend is now frightened that he would face something similar if I were to use his address. I am simply lost now and donno what to do to make sure I receive my PR cards. Would some of you, particularly the experienced lot throw some light on this and tell me if there is any truth in this at all. BTW this friend of mine isnt that nasty that he would say such thing merely to deter me from using his address.

I look forward to hearing from our respected friends very soon as I am really pretty disturbed.
Many Thanks in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rhetorisch said:
Hi everyone,

I contacted a friend of mine in Toronto to request him to collect our PR cards, and mentioned that I would provide the IO with his address when landing. His response was flabbergasting. He asked me not to use his address as I wasnt going to be in Canada for more than a week and Immigration authorities go around checking if the newcomer is ACTUALLY living at the address provided.
He further said that a colleague of his was arrested because somebody (known to his colleague ofcourse) had provided his address for delivery of the PR cards. My friend is now frightened that he would face something similar if I were to use his address. I am simply lost now and donno what to do to make sure I receive my PR cards. Would some of you, particularly the experienced lot throw some light on this and tell me if there is any truth in this at all. BTW this friend of mine isnt that nasty that he would say such thing merely to deter me from using his address.

I look forward to hearing from our respected friends very soon as I am really pretty disturbed.
Many Thanks in advance
BS story, it never happened and never will happen.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Re: News about the relative whose address was used, being arrested. Sounds funny

rhetorisch said:
Hi everyone,

Many Thanks in advance.
Contrary to your opinion - he is.
Qorax

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
I shall get rid of that " friend" of yours immediately! :D

If you just knew how many and what kind of people come into Canada and using/doing what so ever, that those honest, well prepared, educated and concerned ones like us are easily set to derail and lose all faith and trust in humanity and what so ever.

Don't listen to his story and follow your own instinct. The best you can do in this case and I do recommend that, is to book yourself a nice long holiday and a suite at an Inn or a Hotel close to all and everything for 3 to 4 weeks, come and stay here and apply for your SIN and use the address. Short term leasing is easy and might cost you some bucks, but eventually you 've paid it all off and can re-enter Canada with positive energy and moods and start afresh.

(and if you go for this option, check out first where the hotel/condo does belong to, if it participates a hotel group, make sure you are a member BEFORE making the reservation, so you can earn points and also check with your airline company to see if they do cooperate or is it a Star Alliance or a One World member and that way relate your account to an account created at your airline before flying so you can also earn points and airmiles which you when you come back to Canada, can use and redeem towards free stays or rental cars etc and paying NO dollars at all!)

if you need help, I 'd love to explain more. I am using a rental car and pay NO dollar what so ever on it and yet, still earn points too!

Alamo and National btw are the best!

lovebug

Aug 29, 2009
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
May 1st, 2009
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
August 26th, 2009
LANDED..........
June 11th, 2010
No offense, but I think this “Friend” of yours is full of crap. Immigration officials know VERY WELL that people provide address of their friends & relatives all the time....i don't think there is anything wrong with it. The only thing is that the address has to be REAL (of course), and they have tools to check the authenticity there and then at the time of Landing!
So believe me, he’s just trying to avoid you and that’s it!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your friend is telling you a BS story because he does not want the responsibility of receiving your PR cards and mailing them to you. Maybe he really is worried that it's illegal and something might happen to him or maybe he just doesn't want to be bothered. Whichever it is, he could tell you the truth instead of lying. Doesn't sound to me like he is that good of a friend after all.

Bethel7

Star Member
Aug 27, 2010
Hello,
Please tell me more about this talk. Using a rental car and pay NO dollar what so ever on it and yet, still earn points too!
I am interested honestly. You can even send the info to my email at: bethel7@rocketmail.com
Thanks for your prompt reply.
bethel7

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
happend with me aswell....so irritating when friends you know for 30 years do so, but i was happy coz i got things straight after that. just imagine he refused to let me use his address after i had landed and given them the address...had to change the address after 2 days of landing.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I read in another thread that it is possible not to declare an address at landing. The poster said she received a document at landing and was told to fax it when she had established an address and the PR card would be mailed to her new address. Anyone have further details on this process?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can tell them when you land that you do not have a fixed address yet and they should tell you how to update your address with them later. You could do it by phoning them or online but I do remember a woman who said she was given a form she could fax. I am sure you could also mail it.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Bethel,

You 've to pay a little bit on a rental car for sure, such as for the insurance upon picking up the car etc, but if you want to book a car and all for free and pay really a very low price, then you have to first EARN points and many of them in order to redeem them for any other possible good/option upon arrival in Canada if you need to use any free service.

Let's put it this way:

many new immigrants to Canada, fly back and forth a few times in prior to really get landed and stay permanently, it is for these people and will be really very wise to choose to fly only ONE or maybe two or three airliners who participate in the same frequent flyer program but always choose to earn your points and have them been registered at ONE single airliner so you can earn as many as possible points towards each trip and staying at your hotel so when you come back to stay here, that you can book your rental car for example, through the website of the airliner and while logged into your account and using your points to do the magic.

The best airlines and the most famous of them do belong to Star Alliance, such as Air Canada, United Airlines, Continental Airlines, Lufthansa, Austrian, JAL etc, ... BEFORE you travel to Canada next time (And/or to any other destination in the meantime and in prior to getting here and to stay permanently), ONLY book and travel with airliners that do belong to Star Alliance, then pick one, let's say like United Airlines, susbcribe and register for their frequent flyer program that is called " Mileage Plus Program" and book your next trip.

You go to let's say New York or Dubai or Delhi or wherever, you earn points. You return home, you earn points. You want to stay at a hotel? book your hotel through the website of United Airlines too so you can also earn points towards each stay that will be added up and registered on your United Airlines Mileage Plus program. And please note that whenever you check-in or check-out, do a dubble check with the hotel if they are going to register your points so you won't face missing points and can also keep track of your account activity online.

Those of you who live in USA are more lucky and can easily earn more points since if you participate any of these programs, you can also apply for a credit card through them and earn many points at once and also do your online shoppings at Sears or many participating shops and earn one point for each dollar spent etc.

Now, after let's say a few times flying back and forth, a few hotel stays and using a rental car and having earned enough points, you are now planning to come to Canada and stay? .. Ok then. Book your flight, you can pay for your ticket or redeem points for it in full or in part, OR, you book your hotel and/or rental car using your points!

If you 've like let's say 50000 points at United Airlines, you can easily book a compact car and/or a full size car for like 2 to 3 weeks. You only need to pay for additional charges and/or insurances or exta's such a GPS system built-in the car upon picking up.

My best experience so far personally with rental companies (I 've had them all), has been with National and Alamo.

I mean: Really really these guys are the best. They have the best fleet, largest cars in their flees, the best customer service, most friendly and they do all understand the situation.

Hertz is also good, but I sure will keep renting a car at National and/or Alamo for sure.

Hotels:

If you stay at a hotel, stay at hotel that belongs to a large International corporation and not just any hotel. Many hotels in Canada do enjoy special programs and cooperate with Air Canada's frequent flyer program called " Aeroplan" and banks as well, so if you open an account and have a credit card, you can also easily go and earn many points but if you are still outside of Canada and travelling around for any reason, then stick to one group only and check on hotels/rentals whether they do cooperate with that group or else you will only earn points at different agencies who do not support each other and then you 've done it all for nothing really and no reason.

It isn't that difficult as it might sound, believe me. It only requires patience and time to look around, get the best deals and play with these options.

If you do so, you 'd be like me ... drive around in a big car for almost nothing for a whole month!

or stay at different hotels, choose our own hotel room upon arrival too and yet pay less per night, or get one or two nights for free although to be found eligible for that option, you 've to redeem points prior to booking and online only! not at the hotel's front desk though, they will simply refuse to give you a room for free, but might give you a discount on the nightly rate if you are a Gold or Platinum member.

Good luck and do your best :)

erikvirgo

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo Transferred to LA October 5, 2011
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2010 (date recvd by CHC Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
16-02-2010 1st AOR & 120day starts
AOR Received.
04-11-2010 2nd AOR
IELTS Request
Sent with App.
File Transfer...
24-02-2010 Transfer to Buffalo VO
Med's Request
22-11-2011 (Recevied from LA VO)
Med's Done....
22-12-2011 (Received by Ottawa)
Interview........
Not requested
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
19-03-2012
LANDED..........
31-July-2012

Sihs

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 June 2008
Med's Request
01 July 2010
Med's Done....
14 July 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30 DEC 2010
VISA ISSUED...
17 FEB 2011
LANDED..........
Soon Inshaa Allah
Is there any lawyer or agency that we can pay them to give their address so that the PR cards can be mailed to if I cant stay in Canada until the cards are sent???????