+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newcomer to New Brunswick

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Somewhere in the summer I am going to arrive to New Brunswick (I hope :) ). I will have to settle there as provincial nominee. I haven't any friends or relatives there, therefore I will appreciate any advise or sharing about live there.
In which city (Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John) is better to stay and where will be easier to find a job? I am working in IT area.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Svetlanka said:
Hello,

Somewhere in the summer I am going to arrive to New Brunswick (I hope :) ). I will have to settle there as provincial nominee. I haven't any friends or relatives there, therefore I will appreciate any advise or sharing about live there.
In which city (Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John) is better to stay and where will be easier to find a job? I am working in IT area.
I have visited New Brunswick (did an exploratory visit) in May 2015.
Fredericton - a nice, pretty, small town, with a lake and basic facilities (no mall), close to US border, university, startup accelerators
Moncton - bigger than Fredericton, close to the sea shore (45 mins to get to the beach), a mall, banks, Deloitte offices
Saint John - a really small, slow, foggy town.

Don't know about the jobs in IT, but from what I've seen I would say go for Fredericton or Moncton. Search online what companies hire in your area of expertise in those cities. I've seen quite a few known startups/companies in Fredericton (i.e SalesForce), and in Moncton Deloitte was opening new offices back in May 2015.

Hope that helps.

lpera

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
I would choose Moncton (have been to both Moncton and Saint John).

ExxonMobil has an IT team in Moncton, so you can look for something with them.

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, lpera!

I am hesitate between Fredericton and Moncton, but it probable will be Moncton.

Milsrome

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
CA
LANDED..........
July 2017
Svetlanka said:
Hello,

Hello Svetlanka,

You might want to register for Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA) for program for your destination province. SOPA-Nova Scotia extends its services to New Brunswick. The Intake Counsellor of SOPA-Nova Scotia will surely guide you on your above concerns.

Please click on the link to find out if your are eligible http://settlementonlineprearrival.ca/. And if you are eligible it will instruct you to register to the program. The SOPA program is a free program and funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michal said:
Saint John - a really small, slow, foggy town.
Saint John is my favourite city in New Brunswick. I've been there as a tourist and I loved it :) But Moncton and Fredericton were quite nice as well. The only city in NB that I didn't like was Edmundston. There was so much smog in the air that I didn't even want to leave the car.

I believe it's very important to like the place you live in. It makes you more optimistic and confident, even when it comes to looking for a job.

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, Milsrome! I will register :)
Thanks, a0! You are absolutely right!

Milsrome

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
CA
LANDED..........
July 2017
Svetlanka said:
Thank you, Milsrome! I will register :)
Thanks, a0! You are absolutely right!
Great! All the best, Svetlanka. If you have any concern on your registration, just send me a message, will be happy to assist.

immi_bird

Star Member
Aug 22, 2015
Svetlanka said:
Hello,

same here Svetlanka, i don't know anyone or have any friends in whole Canada. i wrote in my application SJ as a destination, but i really think of Moncton as it is more active city and close to other maritime provinces. i work in IT, 2281, as well, and i think i will work low rate job in the bagging to gain experience.

i will recommend any newcomer to download this guide and print it to know all newcomers concerns.
http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/petl-epft/PDF/PopGrowth/OrientationGuideNewcomers.pdf

hogiamisan

Star Member
May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-12-2015
immi_bird said:
same here Svetlanka, i don't know anyone or have any friends in whole Canada. i wrote in my application SJ as a destination, but i really think of Moncton as it is more active city and close to other maritime provinces. i work in IT, 2281, as well, and i think i will work low rate job in the bagging to gain experience.

i will recommend any newcomer to download this guide and print it to know all newcomers concerns.
http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/petl-epft/PDF/PopGrowth/OrientationGuideNewcomers.pdf
Hi immi_bird and All,

I wrote in my app Fredericton is my destination. But I am thinking about Moncton now. My relative (Uncle) had landed there in Summer 2015 and he also recommended me to join him. Not just because he would happy to help my family but also b/c there would be more opportunities for me there too. I am working in IT field, NOC is 2283.

I have a concern. Would that be a problem if our registered destination is Fredericton but we would land in Moncton? Would that be a problem when immigration officers ask us about our destination?

immi_bird

Star Member
Aug 22, 2015
hogiamisan said:
Hi immi_bird and All,

I wrote in my app Fredericton is my destination. But I am thinking about Moncton now. My relative (Uncle) had landed there in Summer 2015 and he also recommended me to join him. Not just because he would happy to help my family but also b/c there would be more opportunities for me there too. I am working in IT field, NOC is 2283.

I have a concern. Would that be a problem if our registered destination is Fredericton but we would land in Moncton? Would that be a problem when immigration officers ask us about our destination?
hey hogiamisan,
the same here, seriously considering to change my destination to Moncton, here is what i will do, i will write NB PNP about my intentions just a week before coming to Canada.

Svetlanka

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hogiamisan, immi_bird,

I don't think that it is a big deal what we are wrote as destination. The field was called "Intended destination'' and I believe it hasn't mandatory caracter. We have an obligation to reside in the province not in particular city.
I also wrote Fredericton and I also intend to land in Moncton. I see our jobs are similar - my noc is 2282.
Immi_bird, why low rate job? You have doubts if you will find job in IT sector or?

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Svetlanka said:
hogiamisan, immi_bird,

I don't think that it is a big deal what we are wrote as destination. The field was called "Intended destination'' and I believe it hasn't mandatory caracter. We have an obligation to reside in the province not in particular city.
I also wrote Fredericton and I also intend to land in Moncton. I see our jobs are similar - my noc is 2282.
Immi_bird, why low rate job? You have doubts if you will find job in IT sector or?
It doesn't matter what city you mention as intended destination. I wrote Calgary but landed in Ottawa.

hogiamisan

Star Member
May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-12-2015
Svetlanka said:
hogiamisan, immi_bird,

Great ! This is really good to know.